Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 23:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Cars that non-enthusiasts and non-carheads love

Interesting thread and I've plenty of non car enthusiasts friends and relatives. I will mention them according to the segment.

Hatchback - i10, Grand i10, Swift - Reasons have been simple, spacious, good initial acceleration, decent feature list and the most important reliable.

Premium hatchback - i20 & Jazz - Spacious cabin, feature loaded and the design. The good diesel engines are the icing on the cake.

Compact Sedan - Dzire - Mileage, Boot, Easy to Maintain, Reliable and the mile munching capability.

Compact SUV - Ford Ecosport - Design, Feature list, Mileage, Good to drive characteristics, Butch SUV feel.

C Segment Sedan - Verna & Honda City - It's a war! Design, Feature list, comfort, the power figures on Paper (Verna), driveability, Easy to Maintain and of course the reliability strikes again.

Premium Sedan - Octavia - Skoda Brand name, Design, Pampered feeling in the cabin, The feel of driving a powerful agile sedan, Status symbol.

C segment SUV - Creta - Do I need to mention the reasons for this? :P

MUV - Toyota Innova - It has been an undisputed king over the years and the Crysta has just made them fall for it even harder.

D segment Sedan - None - Though everyone loved the Superb initially but now everyone has moved to SUVs it seems.

Premium SUV - Fortuner & Endeavour - Design, Comfort, Space, Reliability and the list goes on

Luxury Sedan - C Class - The Mercedes Marquee along with the luxurious cabin. Nothing else matters to them. Some who likes driving picks the 3er. No Audi lovers though everyone loved the A4 initially.

Luxury Compact SUV - X1 - As per them, this is the only UV which looks like a proper SUV. The rest in their opinions are jacked up hatchbacks.

In the other segments beyond too, it's Mercedes and BMW in terms of desirability along with Porsche.

Last edited by YashD : 18th September 2019 at 23:46.
Old 19th September 2019, 01:00   #17

Dzire - India's favorite.

Brezza - "SUV" (It's an SUV)

People's most favorite brand in India is Maruti Suzuki because of good mileage & low repair costs.

Note from Support: Please stick to using English on the forum. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2019 at 20:25. Reason: non-english used. EDIT: Edited remaining part.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:05   #18
BHPian

Well for a non-enthusiast a car is just a metal box on four wheels. No category, no engine size, no NA, no turbocharge, no bhp, no torque, no 0-100, no aerodynamics, no 100-0, no steering feedback, no driving dynamics, bothers them; the only thing that matters are visual appearances, mileage and on road price. In fact many of my friends consider a steering which disconnects from the road entirely (i.e., which provides zero feedback just like the one on a video game console) as the ideal one. I know a few people who ponder about mixing small amount of diesel into petrol to reduce costs. Another a few of them keep the car in garage only as a showpiece item and have hardly hit even 6000 km’s in their 10 years of ownership. A friend of mine was crazy for ‘nose dive’ feature on the Tata Sumo and he ended up buying one, just for the sake of it.

Going by these priorities and my experience with non-auto enthusiasts, the Audi A4, Hyundai Creta, Swift, Skoda Octavia, Vento, City, I20 and Baleno seems to be the hot favourites.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:28   #19
BHPian

Every non car enthusiast wants bling, bling and some more bling!
Most of my (non carheads) friends and relatives love the Hector more than anything just because of the huge sunroof, big screen, Audi-like indicaters, 'connected car thingy' and LED lights.
Others cars they like include, Swift, Baleno in the hatch catagory, Ciaz & City in the sedan catagory and Fortuner, Brezza (with a lot of chrome) in the full sized SUV and compact SUV segment.
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 11:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

The ultimate non-enthusiast I have ever met in my life is ... (drumroll) ... my wife! To her, there is "small" car, "big" car, and "big and posh" car. All cars look like a box with four wheels. She does not care for driving at all, and is more than happy with her scooter. If I am to be honest, she is so much better at handling a 2-wheeler than I ever will be.
So, what car does she want to buy? Anything that is distinctive looking and in budget. Anything that does not look as much a "box on four wheels" as all the others. That is the sum total of her requirements.

The Tata Nano and Honda Brio were on her short list. And that's it. Maybe, if we were living in Europe she would have bought the first generation Fiat Multipla. Or, if we were in North America, the Pontiac Aztek! She will buy on the basis of showroom experience and After Sales Service reputation.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 19th September 2019 at 11:54.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Going by the title, the vehicle would be one that moves people/ domestic stuff from point A to point B with the following criteria being met (vis-a-vis the options that exist)

1. Low price of vechicle
2. High fuel economy
3. Runs well on Indian roads without issues
4. Least known breakdown cases
5. Runs even if not maintained meticulously
6. Available in colours that one prefers
7. Neighbours, friends and family don't have negative feedback on that vechicle (as also recommended by them)
8. Widespread availability of places, spares and skills that can service the vechicle

Cars that typically tick off most, if not all, boxes come from the Maruti stable. It is not a surprise, it we go by the sales numbers month on month, year on year.

OT: At the time when the Maruti 800 was launched in the early 80s, the very points that are is strengthens now, were its weaknesses vis-a-vis the Ambassador and Fiat (Premier).

Last edited by swissknife : 19th September 2019 at 12:16.
Old 19th September 2019, 12:13   #22
BHPian

This thread is redundant IMHO.
All you need to do is read the monthly sales thread.
See the top 25 cars sold by volume.
Most are 'Non Enthusiast' pragmatic cars.

My choice at present:

WagonR

Ertiga/City/Ciaz

Renault Triber

Innova
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed