Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change their logo?
Yes 266 56.96%
No 201 43.04%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 22:36   #1
BHPian

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?

There are multiple people posted in our forum suggesting Tata to change their logo. Even you can find it on thread regarding Tata's new EV brand Zip Tron. My personal opinion is that they should not. What do you think guys?
Old 20th September 2019, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?

I would like to see a modern take in the Tata logo. The existing logo looks past its years.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 23:02   #3
BHPian

Tata should definitely go for a new logo at least for PVs for 2 reasons:

1. Logo should match their new design language
2. Create some distinction between trucks, buses, and cars.
Rodie09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 23:09   #4
BHPian

I think what we are discussing here is trivial and doesn't make any sense. In that case why not have a change for logo for Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai,Volvo, RollsRoyce or Honda?
And also they use the same logo for whatever class of vehicles they manufacture.
Storm2.0 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 23:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Voted yes.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the logo, or anything wrong in flaunting it - but have heard a lot of comments, from even close family members on this!

Even the 'humanity line' for that matter! It may be a design identity - but many people still see a connection to the Indica in that one factor alone, even though their modern designs are radically different compared to the earlier generation cars.

That said, I wonder what's so different between Tata and Toyota logos? Both look very similar to me, but people love to flaunt the latter. It's surely nothing to do with the logo design, but the general market mindset - but either ways, if a small change helps to market the good cars they are building these days - so be it!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th September 2019 at 23:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 23:23   #6
BHPian

Will the brand perception change just by improving the logo? The majority of the personal car buyers don't short list a TATA product. So a logo change will not create a major difference with them. TATA needs to create a complete different sub brand with a premium touch. Similar to what Lexus is for Toyota or an Infinity is for Nissan. It will need major investment but it will pay off by attracting a new set of buyers.
I feel TATA should launch a brand like TITAN for personal cars.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 23:46   #7
BANNED

A complete change is not needed, few changes just like the VW's recent logo change would suffice.

So deep are the negative perceptions on Tata that just a logo change won't help it improve the conditions. If it's any other company in Tata's shoes, they would have simply shut the shop by now to arrest the losses. Tata being a big conglomerate it can simply shut the shop and shift the resources & focus to other industries but they won't give up that easily. Tatas being the typical Tatas, they won't do businesses just to make profits but they do it to serve the nation. India doesn't deserve Tata Motors, they are wasting their resources.

In this competitive world, many companies do various unethical practices to get the competitive edge, but Tatas try to be competitive while being ethical which is rare to find nowadays.

Being from a business background, I have seen how businesses arrive at competitive pricing to the end consumer by using unethical practices at the sourcing side. This is where Tatas are different from the rest of the industrialists and businessmen.

Quote:
Businesses need to go beyond the interests of their companies to the communities they serve.
-Ratan Tata

Last edited by wheelguy : 20th September 2019 at 23:54.
wheelguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 00:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

I always wanted to see Tata SUVs with just "TATA" text on the grill just like GMC. IMHO, it gives more muscular looks.

Sorry for bad photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-hexa.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 00:14   #9
BHPian

From someone who owns Safari and Nano. I agree they need to change their logo. I am in fact of the opinion they need to creat a new identity for their passenger car division ( probably new brand name or in the similar lines of Nexa) and keep the current logo associated with commercial vehicles and taxi segment.
I do agree with Crazy driver they need to get over with humanity line. I am not sure why are they so obsessed with it. Their design line under Pratap Bose is very nice. I hope their future EV cars don’t have this Humanity line (Indica like face)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Will the brand perception change just by improving the logo? The majority of the personal car buyers don't short list a TATA product. So a logo change will not create a major difference with them. TATA needs to create a complete different sub brand with a premium touch. Similar to what Lexus is for Toyota or an Infinity is for Nissan. It will need major investment but it will pay off by attracting a new set of buyers.
I feel TATA should launch a brand like TITAN for personal cars.
Completely agree. In fact they should ask the TITAN to help them come other good brand name. I personally never liked Tamo, Racemo names.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 21st September 2019 at 00:21.
arvindmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 00:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Where is the "Who cares!" option in the poll ?
Eddy is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 01:11   #11
BHPian

TATA doesn't just need a new logo, they desperately need to build up a new brand identity, like what MSIL has done by bringing up NEXA. They must build up an entirely new brand and associate it with the legendary JLR lineage. Some what like MG is doing, though we all know it's an elaborate lie and it's actually chinese SAIC.

Everyone was super hyped when TATA said that Harrier has the LR pedigree, but on launch it didn't do as well as expected. If TATA had launched it as Land Rover Harrier it would have set the sales charts on fire. Let's be honest here with ourselves, people in India in general don't want the TATA badge on their expensive possessions, it's value has been diluted by the whole taxi perception people have with the TATA brand.

Indians aren't really too skeptical and wary of new brands, MG and Kia are recent examples of the same and in comparison Land Rover brand has much better image and perception here. Imagine an entirely new brand by LR specific to India only, like Invictus by Land Rover for India. Three months of continuous feeding of the idea to the public through commercials about the LR heritage and Invictus's associated lineage with it. Now relaunch Invictus Harrier by Land Rover and Invictus Hexa by Land Rover. They immediately sound better than TATA Harrier by TATA Motors and TATA Hexa by TATA Motors, IMHO. Redesigned badge won't change the TATA image, they have a very promising product lineup, they desperately need a new identity.
wrongturn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 05:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Indians aren't really too skeptical and wary of new brands, MG and Kia are recent examples of the same and in comparison Land Rover brand has much better image and perception here. Imagine an entirely new brand by LR specific to India only, like Invictus by Land Rover for India. Three months of continuous feeding of the idea to the public through commercials about the LR heritage and Invictus's associated lineage with it. Now relaunch Invictus Harrier by Land Rover and Invictus Hexa by Land Rover. They immediately sound better than TATA Harrier by TATA Motors and TATA Hexa by TATA Motors, IMHO. Redesigned badge won't change the TATA image, they have a very promising product lineup, they desperately need a new identity.
Fully agree with you if only Tata has marketed harrier differently as suggested by you and erased minor niggles. Actually when a person gets inside the Tata showroom and see the ambience and attitude of people there half of his enthusiasm dies there only.They should at least have separate showrooms like Nexa for their premium products

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd September 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 07:48   #13
BHPian

I do want the change but not because it's getting old. It's because I don't like it. Looks out of place with their current designs.

Its just too oval-ish for my liking.
swiftLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 09:00   #14
Team-BHP Support

Eh? I'd be surprised if changing the logo would help Tata in any way. Tata's biggest baggage is their legacy, some of it good, a lot of it not exactly confidence-inspiring. Tata makes one of the best ads in the business, where has that gotten them? Marketing fluff can only do so much for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I always wanted to see Tata SUVs with just "TATA" text on the grill just like GMC.
I feel that'll only backfire. The "TATA" monogram is synonymous with buses and trucks of the yore, going back decades. So, changing the logo and going back to "TATA" would make for a textbook definition of irony.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 09:20   #15
BHPian

May be off topic, What tata needs is change in marketing and decision making people than Logo.

First they had a great product, Manza, which they called indigo manza, though it never looked in dimension or engine or anyway similar to indigo, yet they named it Indigo product.. Failure!! Later they realized the mistake and removed indigo name and started promoting as Tata Manza. Once a failure, always a failure. There is some thing called consumer sentiments!! May be they did not hear it.

Brought some Lionell messi, some foot ball player. Can't even type his name properly and made him brand ambassador. Who cares! Every time I looked at this advertisement, I was wondering who is this guy.. Never even bothered to look at the product.

Just because Deepika Padukone advertises for Axis bank, does it mean all customers will close their accounts in other banks and line up in front of Axis bank to open accounts. Where are these MBA executives in Tata live? Under a cave?

Nano nonsense. Even Ratan Tata, though I have lot of respect for him, projected nano as Rs 1 Lakh car. Technically, it was a failure. They should have compared well with alto.

Tata Hexa, still carries safari engine, while they could have used Fiat engine powering Hector or harrier or compass. Never caught with innova even though great product except engine!

Tiago, almost killed it by naming it as Zica. If any one in Tata cared little earlier to look on internet, Zica stands for name of a virus.

Nexon, though very good looking car, failed to market properly. Excellent safety but not so good looking on the back side.

Still they keep making safaris and sumo which is burden on them.

Harrier is an excellent product. But did not come two or three years early, if they had, would have captured market with 8000 pieces or 10000 pieces a month. Came late, fine, but has not option of 7 or 8 seats.. There you go, another 1000 units a month market lost.

Now, they are planning i20 competition. i20 is in market for almost 15 years and it took them that much time to figure out, they need a product in that segment.

Both bolt and zest were good products, yet failed!!!

What tata needs is a change in management. Not logo. Bring people with common sense on board and they will have good life.

They bought and owned JLR. With JLR, they had more technology or financial and image power than Suzuki. Yet, they could not come out with any successful product in association with JLR. Now JLR is making losses, I don't how long tata motors will survive.

Look, how they created a new segment and minted on money on them in light transportation.. TATA ACE, TATA 407. Nissan could not compete with Tata 407. They could not even look at there own success!!

Late to market, Botched up marketing and lack of common sense, this is what Tata motors is today. What tata needs is change of people in top, not logo.
pogo0120 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks