Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 470 54.97%
Diesel 362 42.34%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.69%
Voters: 855. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th December 2019, 09:59   #136
BHPian

Default Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

I have been loving diesel engines till now, (owned 3 Diesel's in a row) but my next car would be a petrol.

1. Now matter how refined the diesel engine is, it's certainly more noisy and vibration is significantly high compared to petrols.

2. More maintenance and headaches in long run. The indica sounded agricultural past 40000 kms and same with the 1st gen Figo. May be due to the injectors, the car started to sound like a tractor after 75000 kms. In the aspire, sound is less but I am experiencing more vibrations and the a.s.s is clueless and calls it normal.

3. Hanging sword in form of BS6

4. Low difference between the cost of fuels

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 11th December 2019 at 10:02.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:23   #137
BHPian

Voted for Petrol. Having driven Diesel cars for the last 10 years, I really want to move to either a NA or a Turbo Petrol. Even if there was no ban on Diesel vehicles or if it was not expensive compared to a Petrol, I will still go ahead with a Petrol car for my next purchase, not withstanding BS6 etc.

The thing is, Torquey Diesel cars are good initially, but as they age, they become gruff, dont revv as much, the clutch becomes harder and the NVH goes for a toss over a period of time. You really cannot solve any of these later in the product lifecycle.

Am really looking forward to a good to drive Petrol car for my next purchase.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:45   #138
BHPian

There should be one more option, saying fuel type is not a decision limiter. Like currently I am looking for a car and the space, power, looks, features are primary considerations. Any car satisfying my requirements is fine, it can be petrol or diesel. I had initially booked a Petrol Hector, now waiting for the Harrier automatic/Gravitas which are diesel cars.
Old 11th December 2019, 10:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
V
The thing is, Torquey Diesel cars are good initially, but as they age, they become gruff, dont revv as much, the clutch becomes harder and the NVH goes for a toss over a period of time. You really cannot solve any of these later in the product lifecycle.

Am really looking forward to a good to drive Petrol car for my next purchase.
They are the same! Clutch, Engine mounts, door seals , tires , suspension , all are meant to last a certain period of time and all can be replaced to restore the vehicle to brand!

So no need to give up on diesel for those reasons!
Old 11th December 2019, 11:46   #140
BHPian

I voted for Petrol.

Reasons are:

1. Lower initial cost which again translates into lower insurance renewal cost.

2. Relatively low Maintenance cost.

3. Petrol engines are less sensitive to fuel quality.

4. Refinement of petrol engines.

5. Revv friendliness.

6. No turbo means less complex engines (one less thing to go wrong on a long highway trip)

7. There is not much price difference between the two fuels, atleast in Gujarat.

8. One can easily switch to alternative fuel e.g. CNG/LPG in petrol engines at any point of time.

9. Linear power delivery. This is a debatable issue as Honda Diesels offer the same.

10. My usage pattern doesnt warrant a Diesel. My annual running is around 10K KMs. I use my bike for office commute and grocery runs.
I dont drive with a led foot and generally cruise below 110 KMPH. So I dont lose that much on fuel economy part.

Keep Revv'in!

Last edited by Ry_der : 11th December 2019 at 11:49.
Old 11th December 2019, 12:10   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They are the same! Clutch, Engine mounts, door seals , tires , suspension , all are meant to last a certain period of time and all can be replaced to restore the vehicle to brand!

So no need to give up on diesel for those reasons!
No they are not the same. Replacing parts is besides the point and am aware of it. The deterioration in diesel cars will be more and sooner.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:58   #142
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Voted petrol.

The price gap between Petrol and Diesel cars has become far too high to be recovered, and the price gap between the fuels is rapidly decreasing.

Really hope we do this thread again in 2021.
Old 9th February 2021, 13:32   #143
BHPian

Default New Petrol or Diesel Car considering EVs will dominate the market

Hello BHPians,
I could not find any proper thread for this question so starting a new one.( Honestly starting this thread also because I'm in a dilemma of which engine to prefer).I think this thread will be of great importance for someone who wants to know the future of automobile industry in India or wants to buy a new car right now.

We all know that the next big thing is electric vehicles. But what do you guys think, how long it will take to see maximum electric vehicles on our roads? For someone who is looking to purchase a vehicle right now what seems to be the fair choice, petrol or diesel keeping in mind the resale value of car? Many countries have announced ban on ic cars, is there any chance of India following the same?
Currently diesels fetch the best resale value, the most in premium car segment ( I have experienced this by seeing how tough it is to sell my beautifully maintained Superb 1.8TSI). But what could be the scenario after like 7-10 years?
Old 9th February 2021, 19:06   #144
BHPian

Default Re: New Petrol or Diesel Car considering EVs will dominate the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekhakshar View Post
1. I'm in a dilemma of which engine to prefer
2. how long it will take to see maximum electric vehicles on our roads?
3. Many countries have announced ban on ic cars, is there any chance of India following the same?
1. which engine : I would suggest get what you like driving the most. If you like petrols get that, enjoy the car while its with you and let the market be what it is. But keep in mind that regulations will be harsher on the diesels. Example, NCR phases out diesels at 10 years and petrols at 15 years.

2. how long to maximum electric vehicles : quite long talking in decades so at least your next two cars are secure. But good electrics like the Nexon EV are a good proposition even now with a reasonable price and decent range.

3. ban on IC cars in India : not happening since those countries have different realities than us. Even when electrics start selling in big numbers it will always be a combination of multiple powertrains in our country. Most likely pure-electrics will be limited to the cities since the overall infrastructure push needed will take quite some time to catch up.
We are diverse in every sense of the word, sometimes fortunately and sometimes unfortunately

I have no idea on resales so no thoughts on that.
Hope it helps in some way.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed