Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 478 55.32%
Diesel 363 42.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.66%
Voters: 864. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 18:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

Voted for Petrol. For the same model if Petrol variant is available, I would choose Petrol
Old 24th September 2019, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Voted for Petrol.

While I am with everyone about the High Rev nature and the explosive pickup, I am a bit saddened that not a lot have mentioned the effect Diesels are having on Earth.

Not only are Diesels polluting more (Nitrous Oxides), they are also emitting more Green House gases (Inc CO2).
The recent catastrophes (extreme temperatures, floods, droughts) that Humans are facing are not necessarily nature alone. I believe it has a direct relation to the amount of pollution we are releasing in the atmosphere.

And to be honest with you, the sight of a Diesel vehicle blowing off plumes of thick black smoke is just heart-breaking.
Petrol produces more CO2 per KM than diesel. And adding to the fact Diesel cars provide better FE owing to their higher energy content, petrol engines emit significantly more CO2.
Diesels main issue are particulate matter and NOx. Petrol fares much better in this space. These are emissions that directly affect our lungs and other vital organs and hence the noise around diesel.

Surprisingly Turbo petrol emit almost similar amount of particulate and NOx to that of a Diesel engine. So turbo petrol are no solution either.

I for one feel car owners are the easiest to target and hence the onus is on us. Coal plants, Heavy Industries, Chemical industry, Pharma industry generate much higher pollution but go scot free and we are hounded.
aniyo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 18:57   #33
BHPian

Off topic & conspiracy theory.

There is 42-gallon crude oil per barrel.

Refinement process produce 20 gallons of petrol & maximum of 10 gallons of ICE engine diesel (even less when higher emission norns are applied).

So if car users too switch towards Diesel, where would they use all that left over petrol?

Narrative needs to build to force more petrol use.

NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:58   #34
BHPian

I like Diesel for fuel efficiency and torque they have to offer. However, I do feel the way forward is to have small turbo engines in hatchbacks, compact & mid-size sedans and compact SUV's. It'll offer the best of both worlds - FE and Fun-to-drive factor. For bigger SUV's and Sedan's, Diesel will still rule.

I think mainstream electric cars are good 5-7 years away as the infrastructure is still not there and prices of electric cars are very high. In the meantime, govt. can promote CNG in a greater way by having pumps across the country and urging automobile companies to include CNG version atleast in small cars.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Since the advent of diesel automatic / AMT, am voting for diesels. They are more fuel efficient, diesel is priced cheaper than petrol, my usage is 70kms a day, the service costs and reliability aren't too far off petrols and the clutch isn't made of lead bricks these days. And if i had to have only one car in my garage, I would go for a diesel. At my age, practicality takes precedence over fun factor.
I drive an EcoSport TDCi and an Elantra VTVT since 5yrs now so my choice is based on my experience of both petrol and diesel cars.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:17   #36
BHPian

I own a Diesel car but voted for Petrol. My running is not very high and doesn't warrant a Diesel. Also the direct injection Petrol engines are equally fun to drive as the turbocharged Diesels. Actually the car segment also matters. In small cars and B/C segment sedans, the torquey diesels outshine their NA petrol versions. In the luxury segments only, the petrols are worthy competitors to their diesel counterparts.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:19   #37
BHPian

My daily run of around 40kms have always kept me in the petrol segment so voted the same specially since my location is Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am happy to own one of the best turbo-diesel + gearbox combinations on the planet.
Which car is that??? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:42   #38
BHPian

Voted Petrol.

The responsiveness of a petrol engine cannot be matched by a diesel engine.
And its relatively eco-friendly to the polluting diesels.

Petrolhead till the electrics come by!
Old 24th September 2019, 21:08   #39
BHPian

Petrol, all the way.

Have driven many vehicles below 30 lacs and I have not seen any diesel car that can match the explosive performance of the Octavia 1.8 TSI.
Old 24th September 2019, 21:52   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Have generally been a petrol guy for long. Primarily because my usage never has warranted a diesel. Have said that, I don't have any issue against diesels and if a car I like comes in diesel (Good example is the Jetta DSG which used to come in AT only in Diesel) would not mind buying it
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 22:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Petrol. I have always stood by petrol being the better fuel and these are my reasons:

Lasts longer as there are less stresses on the motor (I tend to get very emotionally attached to any vehicle that I own and want to keep them for as many years as possible)

Handles better as they weigh less

Performs much better than one might think. Most folks who feel Diesels perform better, haven't really gotten comfortable with driving throughout the rev-range of a petrol car

Smoother and less agricultural sounding

Allows one to maintain higher speeds since they are more tractable and predictable in their power delivery characteristics.

Smells better

Much less harmful to the environment.

I feel like the only thing that diesel has going for it is fuel efficiency and perceived performance. Unless the car is an SUV that weighs more than 2 tonnes and doesn't come with a V8 option, I will always stick to petrol thankyou very much

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th September 2019 at 22:44.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 23:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
BMW 530D if I’m not wrong. Inline 6-cylinder + ZF 8 speed gearbox.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 00:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Petrol for me today and once the infrastructure supports it electric. I really dislike diesel engines. The only good thing about diesel is torque low down, but otherwise a miserable fuel.

Petrol suits my driving style more. I like high revs
Old 25th September 2019, 01:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted diesel. I've not driven too many direct injection petrols except for the GT TSI and while it was excellent and performed better than any diesel in that price range, looking at the fuel consumption on MID after a spirited drive isn't very pleasant for those used to diesels.

We have Swift DDiS and Jetta DSG, when the Swift comes up for replacement in a few years, I'd love to buy a direct injection petrol until electric becomes the defacto choice!
Old 25th September 2019, 02:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Petrol. I want to keep my car for long and not be restricted by governments. I'd still prefer large NA petrols to smaller turbo petrols. They feel more free revving and peaky. Examples include- 1.6 I4 NA vs 1.0 I3 turbo or 3.0 V6 NA vs 2.3 I4 turbo. Emission no bar, I'd buy a diesel if it was significantly superior. Apart from changing regulations, I'm pretty much paranoid about manufacturers having some unscrupulous ways to passing the emissions test. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

I currently have a mid-size sedan (Ford Fusion) in the US which has a 2.5 I4 engine which is fairly good, but nothing feels as good as the Innova 2.5/Fortuner 3.0 in terms of torque availability throughout the revv range. The Innova was limited in power and torque, but driving the car at city speeds was a breeze, the fortuner 3.0 OTOH was a monster- be it city/highway or no road. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
I'm sure he's referring to his BMW 530d M-Sport. Search the forum for a review.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th September 2019 at 02:19.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed