Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 470 54.97%
Diesel 362 42.34%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.69%
Voters: 855. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th September 2019, 08:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

After being a fan of diesel motors since 2015 because of their torque and mileage figures. I voted for petrol, partly because of the various ifs and buts surrounding diesel in India but mainly due to the fun I am having driving the 1.8 TSI Passat. Yes, we use Gas instead of Petrol here in Canada (both are more or less same) but well-designed turbo petrol is fun to drive as well as being light on the pocket.
Old 26th September 2019, 08:27   #92
BHPian

Switched to Tucson diesel from Civic and I kind of like both. For me it depends on specific engine + transmission combo to like one over the other. For driving fun, Im liking the torque and efficiency of the 2L R engine in Tucson.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 09:09   #93
BHPian

Voted for petrol. Given that my personal usage is mostly within the city (but still over 1200 km a month) i just want a quieter and more peaceful ride.

I regularly switch between the Octavia (Diesel), Innova (Diesel) and Mercedes (Petrol) at home and in comparison to the other two, being in the Mercedes is almost church like. After a long day at work, those few db less and a quieter ride home does make a difference. Yes, modern diesels are refined, but not as refined as petrol motors yet.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:19   #94
BHPian

Diesel for me for regular drives because of the number of miles I rake up. I would however like to own a petrol hot hatch (not warm, seriously hot &#128513for Sunday morning drives
Old 26th September 2019, 09:34   #95
BHPian

I have voted for diesel mainly because I like the characteristics of the turbo diesels. Better efficiency and cost effective in everyday usage in cases where we have that much running. Though a problem to environment compared to petrols, I feel that it is the overall numbers that should be controlled -- numbers of diesel particularly. One may have money but one should still face limitations and regulation norms in buying more diesels (and private vehicles in general). Alternative fuels and energy sources do not solve all the issues anyway.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:26   #96
BHPian

My vote goes to diesel as I love butch SUVs and I find diesel engines to be the best for them. As said by most the torque and also the fuel efficiency of diesel is a big plus. Petrol engines are cool but I would ideally prefer electric in future if diesel engines are banned/restricted.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:09   #97
BHPian

Where i am staying currently for the past couple of months (Surat , GJ). Petrol and Diesel have a mere 40 paise difference. It hardly makes a difference. Doesn't make sense to buy a diesel. The Payback for paying extra for a diesel engine would be over a lakh kilometers.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:04   #98
BHPian

For me it's always been petrol mainly because of the reasons that I don't have a daily run of car(prefer my bike in BLR city anyday), and there simply isn't a requirement of a diesel vehicle for me. Petrol cars are essentially fill-n-run vehicles and are largely fuss free and do the job for me.
When I plan for a SUV in future, I will definitely consider a diesel car, despite it's lifespan - just for a change.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:19   #99
BHPian

Voted for Diesel since I have not owned a petrol car so far.

It purely depends of the vehicle type and your daily runs. I own Creta D due to my daily run of 50 kms and weekend highway drives. It is now 10 months old and has done 15k. Gives good driving pleasure than the Creta P version.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:44   #100
BHPian

Voted for Petrol (Turbo only).
Well, I had a Rapid 1.6 TDI and that engine was a beauty with that monstrous torque and punchy performance in the mid-range. However, the refinement was pathetic (my 5 yrs old Rapid sounded like a tractor in the cold mornings).
Now, I have bought the 1.8 TSI Octavia and within a week, even in the city, I have fallen in love with the fast revving turbo petrol. The early power delivery and the early turbo kick is addictive. And of course the refinement, though not segment best, is far better than most diesels in the same range.

My preferences can be categorized like this:
  • INR 15L range: Turbo diesels (VW, the extinct 1.6 of S-Cross) over the lame NA petrols any day.
  • INR 15L-40L range: Turbo petrols like the 1.8 TSI of the Octy or even the 1.8 NA of Altis over their diesel counterparts (The 2.0 TDI of Octy/Superb/Passat is great though)
  • INR 40L-60L range: 2.0 L Petrol of the 330i over the diesels
  • > INR 60L tange: Don't have too much of experience but I guess while the 530d and the e350d take the podium, petrols in the Volvo S90 or if one goes even higher in the budget, the Ms and the AMGs make diesels fall flat when it comes to making of great driver's cars.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:44   #101
BHPian

Petrol always!

Diesel engines only make sense if in a "proper" 4X4 SUV, or for off roading.

Reason:
1. refinement: that feeling of being quietly cocooned inside a petrol car, against agricultural clatter of Diesels. Even the most refined ones - like Ford 1.5 or Hyundai 1.6, have that raw vibrations which always give me headaches whenever I am in a diesel car esp when I'm not driving. And even the 3-cylinder petrol ones are more refined than "refined" diesel ones (maybe I have a resonance issue with the vibration frequency of diesel engines )

2. Revv it hard and enjoy the music! Can only be felt in a petrol car (aren't we all in love with high revving Ivtec's and TSI's?).

3. Smell: I absolutely hate Diesel smell, raw as well as out of exhaust (esp. the latter). Petrols are no green either, but diesel fumes out of exhaust always make me feel sick in no time.

For economy (lower running costs) I would rather go for CNG, than a Diesel.
Old 26th September 2019, 15:10   #102
BHPian

I am a big Diesel fan and my past 3 cars were all Diesel, however with the 10 year ban in NCR owning one of these is getting difficult unless someone drives like 40 - 50K per year
Old 26th September 2019, 15:57   #103

Voted: Petrol

I've driven a Rapid manual and that was the only diesel car i ever owned. Before that and now, i've always driven a petrol. The car was absolutely a hoot to drive, no complaints but a few factors pushed me into selecting my current daily driver, Ciaz AT:

1. Simple nature of NA petrol engine
2. Linear power delivery
3. Refinement
4. Maintenance cost
5. Govt's lack of clarity around Diesel Engine

Yes, i have had to make small adjustments to driving a low torque car after having aplenty of it in my Rapid. i guess my light foot did help with this switch and also, its only 20% of the times that my car would run in full load, so i was ok compromising for the above points.
My next car again would be a petrol, most probably a Turbo-petrol. I hope to save for the Octavia VRS but if not that, i would still go for the 1.8 TSI Octavia or something with a similar performance and build. Then, #4 would not be a point of contention in making the decision.
Old 26th September 2019, 17:39   #104
BHPian

Voted Petrol.

Reasons:
- My usage is not really heavy. Just occasional weekend usage and long drives. In the city, I prefer 2-wheelers for the commute.
- Diesel engines are slightly more noisy than petrol.
- I have mostly driven Petrol cars. And my current car is an EcoSport S EcoBoost. And that's quite a peppy and interesting motors.

But talking about Diesel, the Torque is definitely addictive. Also, better fuel efficiency.
Old 26th September 2019, 18:47   #105
BHPian

Diesel

Anyday! Keeping my high running aside. There is some sort of punch and invincible feel on diesels. I mean, a diesel feels more strong. Period.

Recently test drove the Kia Seltos, I really wanted to get surprised by the GD Petrol engine. It was refined and quick enough but somehow didn't feel like a strong package like a typical CRDI does. Despite diesel having 25 hp less than the Petrol one, it had better drivability and appealed as a superior and more versatile package overall.

Most Viewed