Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 478 55.32%
Diesel 363 42.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.66%
Voters: 864. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 22:55   #121
BHPian

Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

I looked at the CO2 emissions for BMW diesel and petrol for cars sold in EU.

The Diesel engine has lower emissions than petrol!

How's that possible?
Old 24th October 2019, 09:48   #122
BHPian

IMHO the FUD created by NGT orders have sealed the fate of diesel vehicles. I have owned 4 petrol cars, 1 electric car, 1 diesel car (latest buy) -- currently have 1 each of petrol and diesel.

IMHO the diesel vehicles have come a long way in terms of maintenance expenses, but perhaps a little less forgiving if at least passably decent maintenance is not ensured. The low-end torque and the reassurance that I get from my diesel vehicle's engine, even in fully loaded condition, is something I sensed as somewhat lacking in the petrol vehicle. Of course, there is a bit of perception, since I've had my share of trouble with under-powered petrol vehicle in hilly roads. However, if I have to decide on buying a diesel car today, I think the "future" of diesel vehicles will cast a very strong overbearing shadow on the decision. Of course, future belongs to EVs, but as everyone knows, we need better, reliable charging infrastructure, faster charging/battery-swapping systems, established players to make those main-stream.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:44. Reason: editing spacing
Old 24th October 2019, 12:22   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post

How's that possible?
This has been the case forever.

Diesel became popular because of the low co2 output and lower taxes on such vehicles. Taxes are set based on co2 output, lower running costs of diesel as well as high fuel taxes made diesel the sensible choice, even if running was low.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 12:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:

How's that possible?
CO2 emission is always directly proportional to amount of fuel burnt.
Since diesel engines are more fuel efficient compared to equivalent petrol engines, they have less CO2 emissions.

But the main problem with diesel engine is NOx and particle emissions which are much higher than petrol. Turbo petrols also emit more particulate matter but still NOx emission is lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This has been the case forever.

Diesel became popular because of the low co2 output and lower taxes on such vehicles. Taxes are set based on co2 output, lower running costs of diesel as well as high fuel taxes made diesel the sensible choice, even if running was low.
In Germany yes the vehicles taxes depend on CO2 emissions but also on fuel type and engine CC.
So tax for Golf 1.6 tdi, 110PS, 85g CO2 is apprx €115 and for Golf 1.4 tsi, 125PS, 120g CO2 is apprx €80.
gopi_rm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 20:00   #125
BHPian

I'd still prefer Petrol over Diesel only due to the fact that the extra cost of Diesel is not justified for my use. The amount I pay extra for Diesel pays my Petrol costs for three years. So, for me it's a no brainer.
Cartik5477 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 01:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How's that possible?
This is true and this is precisely how manufacturers and government have gone hand in hand in the past, in order to fill up their coffers

Quote:
according to a 2014 report by the Organisaton for Economic Co-operaton and Development (OECD) when we consider non-CO2 emissions such as soot (or carbon black) and nitrogen oxide diesel is, litre for litre, 15–18 per cent worse for the climate than petrol.

And whilst diesel cars may travel further on a litre of fuel the OECD says this is a private gain not a public one. The study also shows that diesel cars emit significantly higher levels of other air pollutants, especially nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulates.

Furthermore, new research from Transport & Environment shows that diesel cars not only pollute the air but also emit more climate-change emissions (CO2) than petrol cars when compared over their well-to-wheel lifetime. In fact, diesels emit 3.65 tonnes of CO2 more than a petrol equivalent. This means whilst petrol and diesel engines nowadays produce roughly the same CO2 emissions, the total environmental cost is a lot higher for diesel.
https://www.thejournal.ie/diesel-wor...11217-Sep2017/

Diesels actually emit more carcinogens, soot and harmful gasses that they actually harm the environment more than petrols however manufacturers had to sell their diesel vehicles and managed to get European governments to back them by focusing on CO2 emissions and thus offer tax incentives to buy diesel. Infact after dieselgate it has become clear that many top brands like VAG, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Mitsubishi and many others have all used cheat devices to restrict engine characteristics during emissions testing so for all we know diesels could even be more harmful than they already are to the environment.
Old 25th October 2019, 03:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

Voted diesel because I like that 'pushed against the seat feel', which the torque provides. But then 'hard acceleration' also brings out the soot, so that's one helluva guilt trip. I just wish Diesel-gate was a not a scam, and they actually achieve those impressive numbers without cheat devices.

Last edited by Sebring : 25th October 2019 at 04:01.
Old 21st November 2019, 13:03   #128
BHPian

Voted Petrol

To me its like the following image where left (Natural) one being the Petrol car and right (Steroid) the Turbo Diesel.

Source: http://www.otomgymny.com

Benefits, Natural Petrol is
  • athletic (revs all the way, longer torque band)
  • easier, lighter (engine + gearbox + clutch)
  • ages well
  • demands less maintenance
  • and most importantly makes less noise while working out!

Diesel has its own perks but I like the petrol better

PS: I am not expert and this is just my opinion based on the cars I have driven
shishir333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 20:28   #129

Is this good time to buy a diesel car?

There is a recent trend in India that the gap between petrol and diesel is widening day by day. The price gap is almost 7 rupee per litre in some cities. There is a low demand for diesel because of the current economic slump, transporting goods using containers and big trucks are on a dip, hence companies are not increasing the diesel price just like petrol. There is not much increase in the International market for petroleum products as well.

But petrol prices are still on the rise, thanks to the sudden love for petrol cars (all over the world) and market is flooded with a lot of petrol cars recently all the way from the entry-level to the luxury segment.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th December 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Rectified a typo, thanks
swaroopsankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 22:52   #130
BHPian

Re: Is this good time to buy a diesel car?

I have pre-booked Seltos HTX+ and Compass Limited (O) BS6 "Jan-Feb" but both in diesel. The reason is simple, Turbo petrol's don't give the KMPL I seek and NA petrol engines dont give the oumph I desire. I own a Octavia 1.8 TSI and its a bit too long and a bit too hungry for long Himachal drives.

EDIT: Forgot to add when you gun diesel it eats much less than a turbo petrol so you get the fun without your wallet drying up.

Last edited by Brishti : 10th December 2019 at 22:54.
Brishti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 23:08   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I have pre-booked Seltos HTX+ and Compass Limited (O) BS6 "Jan-Feb" but both in diesel. The reason is simple, Turbo petrol's don't give the KMPL I seek and NA petrol engines dont give the oumph I desire. I own a Octavia 1.8 TSI and its a bit too long and a bit too hungry for long Himachal drives.

EDIT: Forgot to add when you gun diesel it eats much less than a turbo petrol so you get the fun without your wallet drying up.
You have one envious garage. Absolutely right in what you said. There is no match to a good turbo diesel engine. I may be bashed here but I feel the VW TDI + DSG combo is more fun than the TSI+ DSG one.

This is the best time to buy diesel cars. Especially non Maruti and Toyota cars have great discounts and close the gap with their petrol counterparts. The service costs are also not very high but the mileage is stupendous. If you see the savings per lite you may not be impressed but look from a 5 year ownership period and you shall really have lesser credit card bills to pay.
Old 11th December 2019, 02:43   #132
BHPian

Since BS6 diesel will have 5 times less sulfur, which acts like a lubricant, do keep a watch on the life of the moving parts of the engine if you go for a BS4 diesel car at this time.
Old 11th December 2019, 07:30   #133
BHPian

As an Indian, even for Car enthusiasts, we tend to own our Cars for a period longer than our developed country counterparts. So, generally one should think longer before investing in Diesels today. Yes, there would be fire sales now or in near future as a lot of Makers have lots of BSIV stocks available in stockyards. But, if you are an NCR person, do not for even once get sucked into the same as Supreme Court is this close to banning Diesels altogether or reducing their end life usage. Overall, this will drive down resale prices as well.
Secondly, for all non European car lovers like me, the Asian Makers see the future in Hybrids and EVs and have stopped investing in diesel technology. What see now or in coming few years would be results of work done till 2018 at the latest, optimistically speaking. So Asian diesel support in future would be dicy.
For Non Asian car lovers not living in NCR, they can have a good time in this fire sale period.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Since BS6 diesel will have 5 times less sulfur, which acts like a lubricant, do keep a watch on the life of the moving parts of the engine if you go for a BS4 diesel car at this time.
The lubricity of fuel in India is maintained at 460 microns right from the BS3 era and the same remains untouched. BS6 fuel also has a lubricity parameter which remains unchanged at 460 microns. So if the sulfur content in BS6 fuel is low, the reduced lubricity would be compensated by some other additives. So I don't see any premature injector failures on BS4 engines owing to BS6 diesel.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 09:20   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The lubricity of fuel in India is maintained at 460 microns right from the BS3 era and the same remains untouched. BS6 fuel also has a lubricity parameter which remains unchanged at 460 microns. So if the sulfur content in BS6 fuel is low, the reduced lubricity would be compensated by some other additives. So I don't see any premature injector failures on BS4 engines owing to BS6 diesel.
100% in agreement over synthetic lubricity additives in BS 6 diesel so that one needn't unduly worry about fuel injectors in diesel cars.

But - it does seem like the sulfur reduction in BS 6 diesel renders the fuel tank (and possibly fuel lines) susceptible to bacterial slime formation. It seems common in the Euro 6 world of diesels. Sulfur has innate antibacterial characteristics which cannot be supplanted by any synthetic lubricity additives that'll get added to BS 6 diesel. Let's wait and watch to understand this whole bacterial slime formation thing. Or better still - let's not own a diesel car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks