Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 478 55.32%
Diesel 363 42.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.66%
Voters: 864. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 15:07   #16
BHPian

Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

Till the time I can afford to have horses for courses, I pick the diesel. Diesels in the 10L to 20L price range are the perfect all rounders giving you range, decent drivability and reasonable running costs.

They are perfect to have in a single car garage.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:50   #17
BHPian

Diesels anyday. Atleast under 30 lacs. Pretty much 90% of all offerings under 30 lacs have a diesel that is superior to the petrol, case in point compass diesel, Verna diesel, Nexon diesel.

They offer the best of both worlds - good fuel efficiency and very good performance. Even after 30 lacs, when you consider SUVs like the fortuner, the diesel simply is way better than the petrol and some SUVs like the endeavour are only sold with a big 3.2 litre diesel. They offer two digit fuel economy while also providing ample power and torque to move the enormous mass.

Diesels are much more forgiving to people with heavy foot syndrome like me.

I for one, am a guy who would anyday pick a diesel unless ofcourse the diesel really is terrible, like the Tiago diesel. If I win a lottery tomorrow, then maybe I'll consider a petrol, or if I am driving somebody else's petrol car, otherwise no way.

Last edited by SaiSW : 24th September 2019 at 15:51.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:13   #18
BHPian

I voted Petrol for 3 reasons.

1. My usage pattern and the segment of car I drive (B1 segment): My annual usage is hardly 7000 km which doesn't warrant a diesel. The difference in terms of efficiency is not too big for cars up to the B2 segment. Now that's from the spending standpoint.

2. Engine characteristics of petrol engines: I tend to enjoy driving petrol cars more due to the high revving nature, linear power delivery and wider power band. I prefer that over the narrow torquey power band of the diesel engines. For me the joy of redlining a petrol motor is more than the sudden surge of torque which tapers off soon in a diesel motor. I am one of the rare people that enjoys driving a K-series Swift more than a Polo GT TDI. Again, it's just my preference. Majority would enjoy turbo diesels more due to the extra torque.

3. Uncertainty in terms of gov policy: The way diesel cars are being targeted by the gov, I would be a bit hesitant in buying one. Maybe the NGT ban would extend to other metro cities too.

My next car would certainly be a turbo petrol.
rajvardhanraje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Diesel all the way. Recently I had a 300+ HP V6 petrol car with me for over 2 weeks and all the while I was wondering is this it? The moment I got my hands back on 150HP diesel, I knew what I was missing. Torque in diesel is addictive and makes driving fun. Better fuel efficiency is an added advantage.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would look at something like a hybrid (Camry type) for a change, where you get best of both worlds. I think the government seriously needs to set in motion incentives for such hybrid cars, even over CNG / LPG . I am a bit apprehensive about safety in CNG vehicles.
Old 24th September 2019, 16:43   #21
BHPian

Voted Others - specifically for hybrids. I think hybrid technology has not been explored at all in India and has tremendous potential. Good, reasonably priced hybrid cars can be fun to drive yet with good FE. Without a good infra for EV in India, hybrids would be a great alternative. Only thing is part localization by toyotas, hondas and nissans to bring the prices of their globally proven products to reasonable level in India, and some incentives from govt to help them along.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:17   #22
BHPian

Voted diesel.

Reason if one may ask,

1. Fuel economy.
2. Powerful over same model petrol counter part.
3. Maintenance is as cheap as petrol.
4. Present diesel technology is as reliable or durable as petrol.

Unfortunately whole India doesn't have option for CNG reffing, plus car makers aren't designing cars with CNG in mind so it's always bolt on job by sacrificing boot space.

Untill hybrids are cost effective & increasing petrol fuel economy, I don't see myself switching from diesel.

Lastly, I won't mind buying Hydrogen Fuel Cell based EV, given there is enough refilling stations.

Plugin EV in Indian concept is simply not practical.

These are just my personal opinion.

I respect those who voted for petrol or anything else. Different people, different choice makes diversified market. Helps us all meeting our personal requirements.

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2019, 17:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A non electronically controlled diesel engine is pretty much idiot proof, it can run on pretty much any fuel since it is compression ignition.

Maintenance? Diesel is still pretty expensive after some years in comparison to an NA petrol engine, diesels have more expensive fuel filters, may need more engine oil, several vacuum hoses & modulators, EGR, Turbo and their hoses, more expensive clutch and they wear out fast, bigger battery.

So do we have a case for diesels? Not much if petrol was cheap.

I like large vehicles and most of them usually do not have a petrol option itself, diesels make good power at low engine speeds, just the way I like it, Its like having a V8 petrol engine, but uses less fuel.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:30   #24
BHPian

Voted Petrol.

Sole Reason: Negative sentiment of the govt. for the diesels. Don't know what law they will pass next which will cut short the life of diesel vehicles even further

Always wanted to buy a diesel because of the drivability and the performance advantage. Don't care about price difference or the running cost.
Old 24th September 2019, 17:38   #25
mxx
BHPian

Voted for diesel. In the segment that I am likely to shop from in the near future - which is <15 lakhs (on-road)- the petrols still feels under-powered compared to the high torque diesels. Even today turbo petrols like Ecoboost in Ecosport or TGDi in Venue are exceptions. If I go to a higher segment it will most likely be an SUV. Diesels are good for SUVs too, because of the torque and fuel efficiency.

Last edited by mxx : 24th September 2019 at 17:40.
Old 24th September 2019, 17:38   #26
BHPian

Voted in favour of the Petrol Engine.

Reasons being,

1. Refinement, smoothness and linear response from the engine. I love spark plugs, though .
2. My monthly driving is quite less to demand a diesel mill.
3. Relatively higher initial cost and high recurring costs due to perceived higher cost of maintenance for an oil burner.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:59   #27
BHPian

Voted others.

I'm keenly waiting for a compact and practical hybrid as a second car, be it in hatchback, small sedan or SUV guise.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 18:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

The torque and efficiency offered by Turbo-Diesels is impossible to achieve in Natural Aspiration (petrols).

Due to this factor alone, I would like to prefer Turbo-Diesels.
However, given the random way of working of our courts, NGT etc, I have no option but to be content with Naturally Aspirated Petrols.

Turbo-Petrol are expensive to buy and expensive to run as well. So, I am not considering these.
Old 24th September 2019, 18:09   #29
BHPian

Voted Petrol.

I own a diesel and it is in 8th year of ownership. I would like to move to Petrol automatic for stress free ownership, less maintenance post BSVI and uncertain government policies on diesel engine.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 18:11   #30
BHPian

Voted for Petrol.

While I am with everyone about the High Rev nature and the explosive pickup, I am a bit saddened that not a lot have mentioned the effect Diesels are having on Earth.

Not only are Diesels polluting more (Nitrous Oxides), they are also emitting more Green House gases (Inc CO2).
The recent catastrophes (extreme temperatures, floods, droughts) that Humans are facing are not necessarily nature alone. I believe it has a direct relation to the amount of pollution we are releasing in the atmosphere.

And to be honest with you, the sight of a Diesel vehicle blowing off plumes of thick black smoke is just heart-breaking.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks