Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 01:22   #61

Newbie’s Hybrid Dreams

Having a soft corner for environment (and my petrol bills), I do believe Hybrid technology holds promise. The traffic conditions in our major cities involve a lot of stopping, waiting and moving forward at slow speeds. These are exactly the conditions in which Prius excels and I would not be surprised if Prius betters its fuel economy ratings of US in India.

We can’t expect the GOI to exempt Prius of all import duties. Never the less any help from GOI in facilitating car manufacturers to build supplier base for components required for Hybrid technology would be appreciated.

Currently I don’t think that our auto component suppliers have the capability of providing some key components for Hybrid vehicles like batteries. It takes some time to be able to develop capabilities to produce them and unless there is enough demand to justify the investment I don’t believe anyone is going to invest in these areas.

So allowing Toyota to price Prius competitively (couple of lacs more than similar conventional car lets say Corolla) could help in creating demand and linking it with some time bound expectations of localization could be very helpful for entire automotive sector in the long run.

Hmm, here I go again, starting to dream about driving a Hybrid car at affordable prices in India.
Old 29th January 2010, 05:50   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh ok, I was talking UK.
Anyways I drove a hybrid in the US (SFO-LA-SFO). We got 31mpg.
Similar mileage I also got from The Chevrolet Cobalt which has a smaller 4 cylinder engine.
I think in similar scenario the Prius would do around 38-40mpg. 50mpg claimed is just hogwash/
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actally we drove it quite a bit in city traffic too. It gave 35mpg.
Chevy cobalt gave us 32mpg in city conditions, and same in mountain highway conditions(SJC-Lake Tahoe and back).
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
i think civic hybrid gives close to 40 MPG or may be more. i drove a normal US Civic Coupe i got nearly 35 MPG on highway and close to 28 in city
I drove the Prius 3-4 times around the Bay area with mixed city and freeway driving (70% city) and got around 44mpg on the car's display (don't know how accurate it is). So 50mpg is not out of reach if driven carefully.

However I was really disappointed with the initial acceleration :(
At signals, I was starting slower than trucks if I didn't floor it!

Also, it starts at $22k here, so in India, I presume it will definitely cost somewhere in the Camry region which doesn't makes sense. I think it'll just be another Civic hybrid story.
Old 29th January 2010, 05:58   #63
BHPian

24 KMPL for a car (luxury I suppose) is not a bad deal if priced right in India. Its a better car than corolla and the new one is technologically more advanced.

Coming to your point of Gas guzzlers in US, right now there are many models in US which are fuel efficient compared to Honda's and Toyota's.

As per your "Pity on American's" comment, the best selling cars in US are Toyota and Honda which have most fuel efficient cars in their lineup. Majority of the people in US are middle class and always prefers value for money like many of us in India and thats the reason Toyota Camry is the best/highest selling car in US for many years. If Prius is a success in US then its not only because it gives 50MPG but also because people care about environment.

If you take Corolla for instance,

Its more powerful than Prius
Costs around $17K
Decent mileage of 35MPG on Highway and 27 in city
Happily runs for around 200k miles if maintained properly

Whereas Prius is

Very poor in pickup
Costs around $25K
Mileage is around 45 (real mileage if driven like other cars) of course city and HWY
You need to change the LI-ION battery after 120k Miles which is very expensive

I compared Corolla and Prius since they are similar in size and interiors.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2010 at 09:47. Reason: Removing the quoted post of another member
Old 30th January 2010, 13:58   #64
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Prius has been launched at around 27L ex-showroom, Mumbai.

Toyota - New Prius
Old 30th January 2010, 18:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The Prius has been launched at around 27L ex-showroom, Mumbai.
Way to go, Toyota. One more nail in the coffin for hybrids.
Old 30th January 2010, 22:38   #66
BHPian

Hybrids the way to go !!! And finally Prius is heading to India. With a right price tag ... it will eat the competition raw ...

“The Age of the environment” is said to be the 21st century, the center of attention in the world of hybrid cars is sure. Increasing awareness of rising gasoline prices and the global environment, such as favorable tax incentives to all low-emission vehicle “standard car of the future” is also seen as a beginning to climb the stairs.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2010 at 10:11. Reason: Removing marketing link
Old 31st January 2010, 00:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Hybrids the way to go !!! And finally Prius is heading to India. With a right price tag ... it will eat the competition raw ...
The best thing to learn at teambhp is to read through a thread and then comment. At the very least, one needs to read atleast the last couple of "pages" of a thread before saying something.

Had you done that, you'd have seen that the Prius is overPriused at Rs.27lakh. That's what I call "****" pricing, as far as the competition is concerned, they can see that the Prius is "overcooked".
Old 31st January 2010, 00:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

The Prius is going the same way that the Civic hybrid went. Nobody's going to pay 27 lakh for this car and protect the environment.
Some people never learn!
Old 31st January 2010, 00:53   #69

Someone Please Please give me 27 lakhs! I so want to buy this car.......... AND CRASH IT!!!
Old 31st January 2010, 01:22   #70
BHPian

27 lakhs, is somebody serious, How does Toyota thinks that a car for 10 lakhs in US should be charged 27 lakhs in India
Old 8th February 2010, 13:47   #71
BHPian

Mumbai Mirror Full pg ad for Toyota Prius

The Toyota Prius is a good looking car.

While reading the Mumbai Mirror came across this, Any news on pricing?
the Prius India website - http://toyotaprius.co.in/

The have a fantastic brochure on the toyota india website too - Toyota - New Prius
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-prius.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 14:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Nice! I think I should start an ownership thread for my prius soon!
Old 8th February 2010, 15:01   #73
BHPian

why toyota is giving ad here when they are planning for a recall in USA and Japan.
are there some one here to buy this prius blindly even when it has a global problem.
I feel Toyota is taking us for a ride with this Prius car.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Sudan,

I spoke to the Toyota folks at the factory and they say that there are no issues with the Prius' sold in India. So, you can rest assured. It isn't right to make comments without verifying stuff.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th February 2010, 15:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

27 lakhs ???

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha - I guess the guys at Toyota got hold of the stuff Skoda guys smoke !

This could outdo the Civic hybrid in not selling at all. For those of you who want this - wait for 6 months, you just mite get it for 13 lacs.

And if the car still doesn't sell - Toyota can always recall the cars and transfer them to other markets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks