Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 09:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If there ever arise a situation where our country enforces mandatory scrapping or makes life harder by demanding the vehicle undergo FC renewal (in its current RTO based avatar) every 6 month I will stop buying cars and instead rent it. It will just not be worth it anymore.
Would it not be too drastic to think of not buying a car just because of a bi-annual visit to the RTO after 15 years of your ownership? Renting cars is becoming a trend and I understand the reasons why but to cite FC renewals as a reason after 15 years of ownership seems too drastic to me. Hope I'm not missing something here!
Old 24th September 2019, 10:40   #17
BHPian

Re: BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?

Guys, please check out this article. It should clear a lot of your doubts. Old vehicles are NOT getting banned, the re-registration fee is going to be hiked.

Quote:
The proposed vehicle scrappage policy, which has been under works for some time is expected to boost sales of automobile manufacturers leading to higher production capacity utilization.

Among several provisions in the proposed policy, the government official cited above said that in case of private four-wheeler car, the re-registration fees may be hiked 25 times to ₹15,000 from ₹600. The re-registration fees for commercial four-wheeler vehicle will be ₹20,000 from ₹1,000 now. For medium commercial four wheeler vehicles, the proposed fee for renewal of registration will hiked to ₹40,000, from ₹1,500 now, the official said.

Besides, vehicles will be automatically deregistered if it is not re-registered after a period of 15 years.
Hope this clears out all confusion.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Would it not be too drastic to think of not buying a car just because of a bi-annual visit to the RTO after 15 years of your ownership? Renting cars is becoming a trend and I understand the reasons why but to cite FC renewals as a reason after 15 years of ownership seems too drastic to me. Hope I'm not missing something here!
Not really, where I stay which is a non-metro, we now have more than one proper (yellow on black) self drive car rental options. Just about 2 years ago we had zero such options. Also the number of self drive rental that I see on our roads are also on the increase, so the trend is catching on.

In the past I have renewed FC for both 2 and 4 wheelers multiple times and have been involved myself from the vehicle preparation stage to the actual ritual and so I know how the procedure works here. It is not something I wish to be involved in doing twice ever year or even once every year. Every 5 years is OK.

If like proper UK MOT test at authorised garages = OK
If current RTOffice fitness inspection ritual = Not OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

Among several provisions in the proposed policy, the government official cited above said that in case of private four-wheeler car, the re-registration fees may be hiked 25 times to ₹15,000 from ₹600. The re-registration fees for commercial four-wheeler vehicle will be ₹20,000 from ₹1,000 now. For medium commercial four wheeler vehicles, the proposed fee for renewal of registration will hiked to ₹40,000, from ₹1,500 now, the official said.
This step is in the right direction, old rate was chump change to put a scrap heap back on the road with some garnishing done here and there (that is how the current FC renewals work most of the time, pockets get lined instead) to make it look good.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th September 2019 at 11:52.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the past I have renewed FC in the past for both 2 and 4 wheelers multiple times and have been involved myself from the vehicle preparation stage to the actual ritual and so I know how the procedure works here. It is not something I wish to be involved in doing twice ever year or even once every year. Every 5 years is OK.
Since you are experienced in this, I have few questions:
  • Is the FC/Re-registration a fairly straight process or is it at the mercy of the RTO (leading to bribing etc)
  • In my case, the Car is coming up for an FC in December, but the Insurance is going to expire in October. When I renew it in October, will they issue insurance only till December? I am also keen to retain the NCB associated with this and get it transferred to my next car.

Last edited by Guna : 24th September 2019 at 11:55.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is the FC/Re-registration a fairly straight process or is it at the mercy of the RTO (leading to bribing etc)
It's an easy process in Calcutta atleast. Got my work done on my own and didn't have to bribe anyone.
Quote:
In my case, the Car is coming up for an FC in December, but the Insurance is going to expire in October. When I renew it in October, will they issue insurance only till December? I am also keen to retain the NCB associated with this and get it transferred to my next car.
Insurance company will renew your policy for the next one year. You will have to provide a copy of your insurance policy for re-registration.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vians View Post

The law you have quoted is only for NCR. The
Original poster of this thread is referring to BS6 roll out nation wide that could prevent registration of BS4 after 15 years. Again there is no such law that prohibits BS4 or below cars from being registered after 15 years.

Folks at Team Bhp may have to be very careful to not spread rumours when entire auto sector is facing headwinds. The 15/10 year rule is right now specific to Delhi and there is no evidence that it will apply to every city and village in India.
Agree, it applies to only Delhi and I should I made it clear that I feel this could potentially be the trend in the future (shorter life for Diesel than petrol)

Last edited by Guna : 24th September 2019 at 12:01.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the replies! Looks like the Govt. is going to heavily penalize the 15 year old car owners if not entirely ban. Visiting the RTO twice a year with the increased fee is only going to disincentivize the older car owners which is the ultimate objective of the Government.

Will the BS4 fuel be sold along with the BS6 fuel after April 2020. Will the BS6 fuel with low sulfur content damage the engines?
Quote:
Can BS4 cars run on BS6 fuel?

Users of petrol cars have little to worry about compliance as there is very little difference between BS4 and BS6 fuels. However, the same isn’t the case with diesel vehicles. The older generation BS4 diesel has five times the sulphur content (50ppm) as compared to BS6 (10ppm). A diesel engine employs an injector to ionize fuel for combustion. Sulphur acts as a lubricant for diesel injectors. The use of BS6 diesel in older generation BS4 cars will cause the injector to wear out prematurely as low sulphur in the fuel will lead to less lubrication.
Source: Economic Times

Is the last sentence true?

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2019 at 16:51. Reason: fixed source tag
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Attachment 1917602
Source

Facts of the Case

Make & Model: Toyota Innova
Year of Make and Registration: 2005
Fuel type: Diesel
KMS Done: 1,60,XXX
Condition: Excellent
Vintage: 14 years old

Issues
  1. The vehicle is due for FC in September 2020. However, with the new BS6 norms, Will I be able to get the FC done?
  2. IF the answer is yes, how long will the FC be issued?
  3. If no FC will be issued, what should I do now? Sell? or Scrap?
I too was in the same dilemma as regards my Feb.2006 registered Innova. Finally decided to sell it now while I was getting a decent price, rather than wait till 2021 and then find that it has only scrap value.
Old 24th September 2019, 13:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Since you are experienced in this, I have few questions:
  • Is the FC/Re-registration a fairly straight process or is it at the mercy of the RTO (leading to bribing etc)
  • In my case, the Car is coming up for an FC in December, but the Insurance is going to expire in October. When I renew it in October, will they issue insurance only till December? I am also keen to retain the NCB associated with this and get it transferred to my next car.
1) Procedure on paper is straightforward, but issuance of fitness certificate depends on the inspector and usually some paper lubricant routed through agents is expected. If not be prepared to visit more than once to get it. I have seen this happen to an immaculatley maintained ambassador when i was there with the old SS80 Maruti for fitness renewal.

2) Insurance is invalid without fitness certificate, fitness renewal if succesful certifies the vehicle to be roadworthy and if the vehicle is not roadworthy then insurance do not apply. It should be possible for you to renew the insurance in october and it will be valid for the usual term, provided fitness is also renewed on time.

3) If there is no insurance or insurance has expired you can still get the fitness done without it. Insurance is always issued to a roadworthy vehicles and is not a pre-requisite for fitness renewal. The SS80 did not have any valid insurance when i got its fitness done, since the car was sitting idle for a while, after the fitness was done a new insurance policy was taken for it.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th September 2019 at 14:04.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
3) If there is no insurance or insurance has expired you can still get the fitness done without it. Insurance is always issued to a roadworthy vehicles and is not a pre-requisite for fitness renewal. The SS80 did not have any valid insurance when i got its fitness done, since the car was sitting idle for a while, after the fitness was done a new insurance policy was taken for it.
Sorry for going off topic, but when I went to get my car's fitness done, they specifically asked for valid insurance papers. As far as I remember, I had to submit Xerox copies of insurance papers, tax receipt, pollution certificate and the original RC.
Old 24th September 2019, 15:14   #26
BHPian

If I was in your shoes, I would simply do a lateral upgrade to a relatively newer model and buy some peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Won't be an issue at all.
- The government is enforcing BS6 from April for new cars only...
RETAIN your trusty Innova.
Amidst all speculation and chaos thanks for adding clarity

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 24th September 2019 at 15:15.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but when I went to get my car's fitness done, they specifically asked for valid insurance papers. As far as I remember, I had to submit Xerox copies of insurance papers, tax receipt, pollution certificate and the original RC.
Maybe it is a state rule, in my state insurance is not required for fitness/registration renewal. I have highlighted renewal because first time registration requires valid insurance.

https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/e...ent/renewal-rc

Eg: http://jhtransport.gov.in/vehicle-fitness.html
Old 24th September 2019, 15:42   #28
BANNED

I guess you sell it. I guess the 15 year lifespan in coming soon. In fact with a Diesel it may even be 10 years. Gadkari has hinted on it.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:49   #29

I was in a similar fix lately. Both my cars of 2005 vintage were originally registered in the NCR (one in Haryana and the other in Delhi). As now the family has relocated to the Tricity, I have transferred the registration of my HR regd. Accord v6 to a non NCR district in Haryana.
I have applied for an NOC for my other car to get it re-registered in Punjab. It is a mint Lexus LS430. What I was being offered for this car in the preowned market was horrendously low. I guess, all that I can do now is to hope that the coming legislations won't make it too uphill a task for me to retain these vehicles, which else are good enough for another decade. The following is link talking of the probables that are to come in the new scrapping policy.https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...247244777.html
anmolminhasdua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 20:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Won't be an issue at all.

- The government is enforcing BS6 from April for new cars only, but has no problem with cars already on the road. Even after BS4 kicked in, BS1 cars and even earlier have gotten their fitness certificates without issue. In fact, my own 1997 BS-Zero Jeep just got its most recent fitness certificate a year or two ago.

- Vehicle scrappage is a pipe-dream in India, where the car penetration level is an awful 30 cars / 1000 citizens (developed countries have 800 cars / 1000 citizens). No one is going to throw away 15-year old cars that are otherwise perfectly fine. Heck, even in the USA, the vehicle scrappage schemes were "optional", not mandatory.

- Only exception to the above is Delhi-NCR.

- There would be millions of 15+ year old vehicles on our roads (including 2-wheelers). Taking these off would have catastrophic consequences on the economy, citizen lifestyles, vehicle scrappage plants etc.

Therefore, my suggestion = RETAIN your trusty Innova.
Plus, in the States, the concept of Pulling Parts is really catching up.

What a company does is simple. It buys old cars from customers and then puts them in a large open field. Needless to say, the fluids, batteries etc are all removed before storage.

Then the customers, who need to buy second hand parts, approach the field with their own tools and remove what they require/need and pay for the pulled parts to the company directly at a super reasonable rate.

All vehicles are tracked by their Chassis and they are given a limited time within which their parts should go. If not, THEN the vehicle is scrapped and crushed etc..

Enthusiasts have been known to bring their families and have a ball (sorta picnic) at such places, what with open spaces, opportunities for Grill and Beer and doing what they love.

Wonder if the concept can catchup here in India.

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 24th September 2019 at 20:57.
DevilzzzzOwn is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks