Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?

BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20181024041918_bharatstageivvicollage.jpg
Source

Facts of the Case

Make & Model: Toyota Innova
Year of Make and Registration: 2005
Fuel type: Diesel
KMS Done: 1,60,XXX
Condition: Excellent
Vintage: 14 years old

Issues
  1. The vehicle is due for FC in September 2020. However, with the new BS6 norms, Will I be able to get the FC done?
  2. IF the answer is yes, how long will the FC be issued?
  3. If no FC will be issued, what should I do now? Sell? or Scrap?

The ironical part is, if the vehicle had been purchased in 2004, I could have right away got another 5 years of useful life out of it by doing the FC right now

PS: The FC cannot be done earlier than 1 month before the due date for renewal (Sep 2020). The vehicle is in topnotch condition. There is no reason why the car wouldn't serve another 5 years easily.

Please advice on the way forward.

Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Won't be an issue at all.

- The government is enforcing BS6 from April for new cars only, but has no problem with cars already on the road. Even after BS4 kicked in, BS1 cars and even earlier have gotten their fitness certificates without issue. In fact, my own 1997 BS-Zero Jeep just got its most recent fitness certificate a year or two ago.

- Vehicle scrappage is a pipe-dream in India, where the car penetration level is an awful 30 cars / 1000 citizens (developed countries have 800 cars / 1000 citizens). No one is going to throw away 15-year old cars that are otherwise perfectly fine. Heck, even in the USA, the vehicle scrappage schemes were "optional", not mandatory.

- Only exception to the above is Delhi-NCR.

- There would be millions of 15+ year old vehicles on our roads (including 2-wheelers). Taking these off would have catastrophic consequences on the economy, citizen lifestyles, vehicle scrappage plants etc.

Therefore, my suggestion = RETAIN your trusty Innova.

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2019 at 10:32. Reason: Adding answer to the opening post as there is a lot of confusion
Warwithwheels is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:36   #2
BHPian

re: BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The ironical part is, if the vehicle had been purchased in 2004, I could have right away got another 5 years.
Why do you think that you cannot renew FC next year? Is it because of BS6 change? I don't think that will be used against you. I renewed a BS2 car recently (in Chennai) and there was no issue.
Vians is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: The FC cannot be done earlier than 1 month before the due date for renewal (Sep 2020). The vehicle is in notch condition. There is no reason why the car wouldn't serve another 5 years easily.
Am in a slightly different condition. We bought Innova from Vadodara in April 2012. Car has done 72.8K kms. and is in excellent condition. But the car is BS3. At that point of time, BS4 Innova with intercooler was available in Ahmedabad, but we eventually got BS3 one. Am now afraid of scrapping policy that will restrict the life of my Innova to 10 years. I have 2.5 years then to use it. Not sure what to do with the car. Am getting skewed towards selling it but the car is excellent shape.
In your case, is there an option to get the car re-registered in any small village in name of family member/relative ?
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Watching this space. My 2004 Forester (which I purchased it as pre-owned in 2010) is coming for FC in December. Car is in great condition and I was hoping to use it for at least a year before I find suitable replacement post April 2020.

@aaggoswami, the situation you are in is a wake up call to those who are planning to buy a BS4 vehicle with good discount just before the BS6 deadline (Even I was contemplating that). Looks like the BS6 vehicle will be well worth it even if it costs 20-25% more.

@Vians, it is not so much about the BS6 transition itself but the new law being proposed to scrap cars older than 10/15 years (Diesel/petrol) and with BS3 vehicle it could become even more challenging to the FC.

Last edited by Guna : 23rd September 2019 at 22:04.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

According to the rumours doing the rounds, the government is planning to stop renewing FC for BS4 and older vehicles. I also have a situation where my Fiesta will come up for FC renewal in 2021 and am now uncertain what to do.

Given that you can't renew it more than one month prior to expiry, you will have to gamble.

The drop in sales in the auto industry is leading to the potential implementation of the scrappage policy. Very sad indeed because many cars that should continue being used might be forced off the road.

The decision hinges on how much you can get for the vehicle if you sell it now. Get a good value and it is worth selling. Get a low number and the risk is worth taking.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know which city you're based out of, so here's my opinion:
If you're in NCR-Sell the car
Anywhere else in the country-Keep it with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Not sure what to do with the car. Am getting skewed towards selling it but the car is excellent shape.
Keep the car, period. You're not in the NCR, so you don't have to worry about the NGT's ban. If anything at all, the re-registration fees for old vehicles will increase 10 times (from Rs. 690 to Rs. 6900), nothing else. Enjoy your car till 2027, that's the date mentioned in your RC as well. You can take a call after that.
boniver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Watching this space with more interest now. I have a BS IV 2010 Scorpio in good condition, albeit with some rust work that can be treated. Considering its depreciation value after 5 years, am thinking should I flip it now or keep running it.

I guess it all comes down what terms and conditions are specified in the scrappage policy
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1917602
Source

Facts of the Case

Make & Model: Toyota Innova
Year of Make and Registration: 2005
Fuel type: Diesel
KMS Done: 1,60,XXX
Condition: Excellent
Vintage: 14 years old

Issues
[list=1][*] The vehicle is due for FC in September 2020. However, with the new BS6 norms, Will I be able to get the FC done?

Cant you re register the vehicle like now in any neighbouring state and extend the validity of registration for 5 years at least? And then pay yearly road tax in your home state. It might cost you more but you neednt buy a new car for atleast 5 years from now.
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vians View Post
Why do you think that you cannot renew FC next year?....
As per reliable sources, Once the BS6 norms kicks in on 1st April 2020, the FC renewal for vehicles older than 15 years cannot be done. If your original registration validity is unexpired, you will have no issues for the rest of the period.

Example: Car bought in 2010. Original registration validity till 2025. You can drive around for another 5 years from 2020.

BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?-screen-shot-20190923-10.10.50-pm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
In your case, is there an option to get the car re-registered in any small village in name of family member/relative ?
Unlike the other emission norms, this is likely to become effective nation wide. So no loop holes I guess. Please refer to the image below:

BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?-screen-shot-20190923-10.09.19-pm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I don't know which city you're based out of, so here's my opinion:
If you're in NCR-Sell the car
Anywhere else in the country-Keep it with you

Keep the car, period. You're not in the NCR, so you don't have to worry about the NGT's ban. If anything at all, the re-registration fees for old vehicles will increase 10 times (from Rs. 690 to Rs. 6900), nothing else. Enjoy your car till 2027, that's the date mentioned in your RC as well. You can take a call after that.
Based out of Chennai. Please refer to my reply above regarding the re registration restrictions.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd September 2019 at 22:21.
Warwithwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:37   #10
BHPian

Re: BS 6 predicament: To sell or retain a 14 year old trusty Toyota?

Quote:
Based out of Chennai. Please refer to my reply above regarding the re registration restrictions.
Please check this link (Vehicle registration & renewal charges to be hiked by 20 times (2019)). Simple interpretation of just the title tells me that if there's a "hike in renewal fees", the renewal has to take place too. I own a BS2 car whose registration I renewed this year (now valid till 2024) and I sincerely hope your source is wrong.
boniver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 23:16   #11
BHPian

If people who know about cars and being members of T-Bhp have so much confusion, think about an average car buyer. So many rumours have been cited for this scare. There is no single thread of evidence that cars older than 10/15 years will be banned outside of NCR.

No wonder car sales are down now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post

@Vians, it is not so much about the BS6 transition itself but the new law being proposed to scrap cars older than 10/15 years (Diesel/petrol) and with BS3 vehicle it could become even more challenging to the FC.
The law you have quoted is only for NCR. The
Original poster of this thread is referring to BS6 roll out nation wide that could prevent registration of BS4 after 15 years. Again there is no such law that prohibits BS4 or below cars from being registered after 15 years.

Folks at Team Bhp may have to be very careful to not spread rumours when entire auto sector is facing headwinds. The 15/10 year rule is right now specific to Delhi and there is no evidence that it will apply to every city and village in India.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd September 2019 at 23:45. Reason: Back to back post. Use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead.
Vians is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 00:34   #12
BHPian

Riding on the same boat.

My father's got a 2004 Wagon R back home which he uses as his daily and is due for FC soon. The car has done ~68k kms and is still in good shape to last another decade!
Shillong being a tier 3 city I'm hoping there's no issue in FC renewal.
Old 24th September 2019, 07:02   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BS6 predicament: To sell or retain my 14-year old trusty Toyota Innova?

Won't be an issue at all.

- The government is enforcing BS6 from April for new cars only, but has no problem with cars already on the road. Even after BS4 kicked in, BS1 cars and even earlier have gotten their fitness certificates without issue. In fact, my own 1997 BS-Zero Jeep just got its most recent fitness certificate a year or two ago.

- Vehicle scrappage is a pipe-dream in India, where the car penetration level is an awful 30 cars / 1000 citizens (developed countries have 800 cars / 1000 citizens). No one is going to throw away 15-year old cars that are otherwise perfectly fine. Heck, even in the USA, the vehicle scrappage schemes were "optional", not mandatory.

- Only exception to the above is Delhi-NCR.

- There would be millions of 15+ year old vehicles on our roads (including 2-wheelers). Taking these off would have catastrophic consequences on the economy, citizen lifestyles, vehicle scrappage plants etc.

Therefore, my suggestion = RETAIN your trusty Innova.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 08:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Vehicle scrappage is a pipe-dream in India, where the car penetration level is an awful 30 cars / 1000 citizens (developed countries have 800 cars / 1000 citizens).
I dont think this is the correct measure for us. US / AUS or most (developed) countries with whom the comparison is being done have smaller population and/or larger area.

But agree that Vehicle scrappage policy will be difficult to implement here. Heck, if they only tightened enforcing norms things would improve drastically - licencing process, lincenced & correct driving, vehicle insurance & veh fitness. These 4 will bring a sea change in the situation in the country.

EDIT:
I see odd bits in today's news that the new scrapping policy to "allow" scrapping of cars > 15 years old has been approved, along with FC every 6 months. The news items dont mention the word "Mandatory". But if it will be 6 month FC validity instead of 1 year, and at a higher cost - we are likley to see more corruption, and less renewals too.

Last edited by condor : 24th September 2019 at 08:21.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 08:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

If there ever arise a situation where our country enforces mandatory scrapping or makes life harder by demanding the vehicle undergo FC renewal (in its current RTO based avatar) every 6 month I will stop buying cars and instead rent it. It will just not be worth it anymore.

If they are implementing 6 month FC for all vehicles including white boards I hope they make it yearly and do it like how MOT tests are done in England authorising independent garages to test and issue certificate without having to deal with RTOffice. Otherwise this biannual or annual ritual involving RTOffice is something that I can live without.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th September 2019 at 09:04.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks