Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 19:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India

Kia is mulling imported models for India.

Quote:
Kia is conducting feasibility study on three to four models to be imported as a completely knocked down unit and expand the portfolio to over 6-8 cars in three years. The models like Stinger sports car, Sorento SUV, which is a Hyundai Tucson rival globally, Telluride, the top of the line SUV designed for North America, are being explored to be brought in as a CKD model to ensure that the company addresses multiple price points from ₹10 lakh to ₹50 lakh.
Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-71194516.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 14:07   #3
BHPian

The Stinger is a beautiful performance car. If Kia can launch the the 3.3L V6 twin turbo with the Brembo brakes and other bells and whistles at the price of a 320D (wishful thinking I know), there might be several takers. It will also serve as a Halo product and help build the brand.
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kia has an interesting history in Australia. They were initially not getting too much traction in the market.

They came up with two pronged strategy.

First was an unheard (in Australia at least) 7 year warranty. This is a country were 3 year warranty is still a norm. It is a testament to the quality of Kia cars and the company's faith in it's offering.

Second was loading the cars to gills with all kinds of electronic gizmos. And sounds.
Frankly speaking a car sounding like a PC worries me. LOL. I am a software guy after all.

Needless to say Kia sells well.
Will be interesting to see if they revert to the 7 year unlimited warranty trick here to shake up the market.
download2live is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 14:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
It will also serve as a Halo product and help build the brand.
True.

Seltos has already given Kia a good start in the India market, as a premium entry level manufacturer. Products like the Stinger and Telluride will definitely cement that opinion in the mindset of consumers.

In fact, they even need some halo products and increased brand image - considering the next real product will have to take on the mighty Innova (and convince buyers to pay a premium over it!).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:10   #6
BHPian

Helping folks avoid a net search:-

The Stinger

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-images-38.jpeg

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-images-39.jpeg

The Sorento

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-images-40.jpeg

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-images-41.jpeg

The Telluride

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-2020_kia_telluride_angularfront.jpg

Kia evaluating Stinger, Sorento & Telluride for India-usd00kis061c021002.jpg

Exciting times
Moto$apien is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Helping folks avoid a net search:-

Exciting times
Thanks! So a car model each for - the enthusiast, the businessman and the local self proclaimed political leader!

Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:10   #8
BHPian

If priced right, the Kia Carnival will give a run for its money for the Innova and the Telluride for the Fortuner.
jayguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:23   #9
BHPian

This should be a very good move. I owned Sorento for a brief amount of time. The car is smooth even with 7 on-board plus the bags. It had given a niggle free period of ownership. Combine this with extended warranty, this should be a good competition to current generation of 7 seaters.
theflyingguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Kia is really bullish about its approach towards the Indian market. The terrific response to the Seltos should definitely help them get a foothold in the vastly competitive Indian market. I remember James May testing the Kia Stinger on Top Gear (or Grand Tour) and he was impressed with it. The Telluride in black looks menacing.
Old 24th September 2019, 22:18   #11
BHPian

I'd rather have the Genesis G70 instead of the Stinger GT. Most reviewers I trust found that the G70 had better dampening (hence had better handling and was more comfortable). The G70 is also a tad shorter in length than the Stinger, making it a better car for the city.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:37   #12
SR7
BHPian

I really hope Hyundai and Kia bring in their international models here especially the Genesis G70 for starters, Telluride, Stinger, and Palisade. A relative of mine working for HMIL mentioned a couple of months back that Genesis WILL come into India within a couple of years. The Telluride and Palisade cousins (both monocoque), if priced around 40L - 50L OTR (hopefully) may sell, considering they’re both a size above the Fortuner / Endeavour and closer to the Mercedes W167 GLE & the Audi 4M Q7 in terms of size. We don’t have ANY options in our market now for a 5m long SUV at 40L - 50L. The Telluride and Palisade retail between USD 31,000 to USD 44,000 (22L -32L) in the US market.

Kia Telluride :
Wheelbase 2,900 mm (114.2 in)
Length 5,000 mm (196.9 in)
Width 1,990 mm (78.3 in)
Height 1,750 mm (68.9 in)

Hyundai Palisade :
Wheelbase 2,900 mm (114.2 in)
Length 4,980 mm (196.1 in)
Width 1,975 mm (77.8 in)
Height 1,750 mm (68.9 in)

Anyway, both these cars were primarily built for the North American market & the biggest factor here is that both the Telluride and Palisade are currently available only in an LHD version; developing an RHD version must be deemed viable from their respective Global HQs. So Australia, India and other select RHD countries may get them only if a financially compelling case is made
SR7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 06:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
The Stinger is a beautiful performance car. If Kia can launch the the 3.3L V6 twin turbo with the Brembo brakes and other bells and whistles at the price of a 320D (wishful thinking I know), there might be several takers. It will also serve as a Halo product and help build the brand.
I don't think it will be at the price of a 320D. It will cost well over 50 lacs, and I don't think there will be too many people who consider the VFM factor over brand image there.

I personally would pick the stinger because I like the way it looks and it's something different, plus it's a Kia, so I can expect better reliability than the big three, but majority of the buyers in that segment may not be like-minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
The rear of the Telluride definitely has Volvo xc90 influence and the front has Cadillac elements in it.

Overall, I like the look, if I had 60-70 lacs lying around, and they launch this with a strong diesel, then I'll gladly pick one up.
Old 25th September 2019, 07:19   #14
BHPian

At this time, I would like to flex and remind you guys about my ownership thread.
Kia Stinger (Move like a butterfly, stings like a bee - First Kia Stinger on Team-BHP)
bharat4ever is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 07:38   #15
BHPian

I love the looks of Stinger GT. A short and very nice review of Stinger GT:

hok kolorob is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed