Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2007, 14:37   #16
BHPian

Increased jams can't cause as much irritation to me as a wavering two wheeler does. Its such a common every day occurence, that I am driving along in slow traffic, at say 30kmph, and in my ORVM, see a biker sidle up alongside me and at an opportune moment, come to the front and try to take up the space right in front in such a way, that I am forced to slow down to avoid hitting him. My inner urge at that moment is, in fact, to hit him.
So, I am all for even the 1 lac car, if it means fewer two or three wheelers.

Oh, and by the way, TypeO, sorry about misreading your sarcasm. Put a winky smilie or something next time for us dumbos.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 16th February 2007 at 14:38.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:55   #17
nbr
BHPian

todays business line reports that TATA has asked FIAT to help it in production of the much awaited 1 lac car. TATA has also plans of promoting this cheapest car , globaly .
It is planned that the 1 lac car will hit the roads only after 3 rd quarter of 2008.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
we are the 7th largest country in the world. God knows how many times bigger than Japan.

But we have a fraction of the cars that Japan has.....

I dont think they have such bad traffic woes. They will have jams and everything but I dont think there is too much chaos on Japanese roads...
You know what Nikhil, someone told me, cars in Tokyo do not have autocops or anything. People do not even bother to lock up cars at night. You know why? Someone steals your car in the night and you wake up in the morning and start walking. You will find you car at the next block, stuck in a jam.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

This should be scrapped unless Tata wants to throw in free driving lessons with every purchase. All that the 1lakh car is going to do is increase the number of bad drivers on our roads.

I have seen little kids (10 to 12 years old) let loose with scooters by their stupid parents, the only reason they do not get a motorbike is becasue it is usually too heavy. Such parents will be more than happy to let 12year old Bunty take the 1 lakh car for a spin.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
This should be scrapped unless Tata wants to throw in free driving lessons with every purchase. All that the 1lakh car is going to do is increase the number of bad drivers on our roads.

I have seen little kids (10 to 12 years old) let loose with scooters by their stupid parents, the only reason they do not get a motorbike is becasue it is usually too heavy. Such parents will be more than happy to let 12year old Bunty take the 1 lakh car for a spin.
What about the Bubly's ??!

Jokes apart... proper road sense is something which needs to be inculcated in all of us. I was reading prabhu's post, and just realized that at times even i indulge in the same thing as a 2 wheeler rider, as mentioned. But, when driving my car, i am pretty much a sane driver, as probably any small mistake could result in bigger consequences.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:22   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The key is not to stop a glorious manufacturer like Tata, in such an laudable endeavour. Instead, the government needs to provide better infrastructure.

However, I do agree. In the current scenario, popularity of the 1 lac car will only make traffic matters worse.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
You know what Nikhil, someone told me, cars in Tokyo do not have autocops or anything. People do not even bother to lock up cars at night. You know why? Someone steals your car in the night and you wake up in the morning and start walking. You will find you car at the next block, stuck in a jam.
I don't agree here. I have been to Tokyo, there is nothing of that sort. Traffic is as good or bad as we have. Every major city in the world has peak hour problem.
Coming to 1 Lac car, I think, let the specs come out, till then no point passing judgement on the quality. We can still discuss if the benchmark is M800. In worst scenario, the car can be banned in big cities. But don't do Tata bashing, he is the guy giving many to drive a car earliar, which many would have driven later in their life.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:49   #23
BHPian

I don't see how the traffic situation could be worse... Sure cars take up a lot more space, but from what I see, the reason we have bad traffic on Indian roads is simple the variety of vehicles on the road and the differences in manouverability that comes with it. For example if everyone drove cars, they'd be forced to follow lane discipline. I think the average speed of traffic would increase with a reduction in two wheelers. There might be a transient phase with people learning the nuances of driving, but it might pay off later.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What about the Bubly's ??!

Jokes apart... proper road sense is something which needs to be inculcated in all of us. I was reading prabhu's post, and just realized that at times even i indulge in the same thing as a 2 wheeler rider, as mentioned. But, when driving my car, i am pretty much a sane driver, as probably any small mistake could result in bigger consequences.
Benbsb29, appreciate your honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
I don't agree here. I have been to Tokyo, there is nothing of that sort. Traffic is as good or bad as we have. Every major city in the world has peak hour problem. ....
No idea, never been there. Was just honestly trying to play gossip monger.
Old 16th February 2007, 16:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

This means a postponment in the launch windows, Tata having targeted an original 2007 release. This would also mean extra breathing space for Maruti's small car intended in 2008. How lucky then for Maruti.

In business there's nothing called coincidence. And Ratan Tata had mentioned in an earlier interview with CNBC that "competitors" were involved in the protest at Singur.
Old 16th February 2007, 16:58   #26
BHPian

Honestly, i did not expect such a vociferous response to my earlier note. But i guess time will tell i was right.. Do remember me then..

Just close your eyes for a moment and imagine every tom-dick-harry on the road having a car, meaning less people on the foot-path and more people on the road. one car: one person, the chaos it will create especially in our already crowded cities, where the parking lots are already overflowing..

I know people will give examples of the USA and Japan and other developed countries (as if we need more cars to declare ourself as a developed economy.) But, on the other side of the coin, look at the energy needs of those countries and the cost of exchequer.. My friends, do not forget that we are an energy starved country.. What with major states like Maharashtra, MP, Andhra pradesh and others having 6-8 hours without electricity..

We can blame the government all we want for not providing infrastructure and stuff, but really we need to look back at ourselves and see if there is something that individuals and industry can do. The likes of Ratan Tata bringing in 1 lac car worsens the situation. Ratan tata would have done well by introducing a public transportation chain in India instead of bringing in Rs 1 Lac cars, but then he is a business man and not doing it for Charity right.. I know most of us aware of the global energy scene, where wars are being fought over oil and countries have to collaborate for nuclear energy for their domestic needs. But we all think that this is somebody else's problem and not ours.

Well, I do not want to sound like a politician or a leader, and i have shelved my car around 2 years back and i ride a honda eterno motoscooter right now. Relocated close to my office so that i can walk to work at times. And i am doing my bit for the environment. I of-course don't expect anybody to follow my lead but we need to have some respect for the pedestrians and two-wheel riders as well, which i see missing in this forum..

I guess if the same thing continues and Maruti and others also bring in low cost cars we are gonna have tough days ahead friends unless alternative sources of energy is discovered soon..

Last edited by man23ish : 16th February 2007 at 17:01.
Old 16th February 2007, 17:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cant wait for the first spy pics to show up. And I can bet you....neither can Maruti.
tushky, sajo and the likes,.....
what happen to your cameras, dont you know people are eagerly waiting to see the spy pics.
Old 16th February 2007, 17:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

its not disrespect to lower beings in the chain of things.. in automotive sense nor the environmental aspect, rather its all of US!!!

great.. india will shine better, things will not improve unless each one of us indians start using the common facilities more carefully, i wouldn say the infrastructure is that bad, hey its improving (yeah faster pace is appreciated) but what about u, me and them?? the users

why blame the bike guy when you can start with a bigger family tree, right from the dog/cow that runs across the road, to rickshaws!!, to cabies, to bikers to cars to trucks to bus.. all of the above drivers needs to do something which is highly unlikely... so future indeed is .........

again how many new 800 you see on road these days, so bigger cities chances of things worsening might be low (assuming people with the 1 lakh disposable income/ready for loan) are limited, but B class cities should see a boom and yes TATA name is very respectable there and car a big status symbol also..

i would say great effort, great business sense, greater success if atleast tata can come out with a campaign which will catch the common man on how to use his 1 lakh car in a disciplined manner.. am i going mad now.. ok stop!

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th February 2007 at 17:26. Reason: spell check or meaning might be distorted :)
Old 16th February 2007, 18:00   #29
BHPian

Number of Cars are not the problem,the ppl driving them could be.Hope they dont drive like me.
Old 16th February 2007, 18:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just close your eyes for a moment and imagine every tom-dick-harry on the road having a car, meaning less people on the foot-path and more people on the road.
Lets face it, India is making giant strides as an economic power. Yes, we are going to have more cars, more traffic, more tata and maruti small cars et al.

The solution is to think a little out of the box. If (and thats a big IF) the government were to improve public transport system (metro/tram/buses/local trains) and make pedestrian movement a lot easier, then the moving public would be inclined to leave their own means of transport at home.

Counter existing traffic with multi layer flyovers, multi storey parking facilities within the city, congestion charges in extremely crowded areas, bus/cycle lanes AND take traffic offenders to task.

Of course....this is a wish list for year 2015!

p.s - gone bit off topic, but what the heck...i'll take it in perspective if the tata small car is going to create such a big traffic jam!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks