Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2007, 22:02   #61
BHPian

One thought often ingtrigues me, why the autorickshaw was never considered as a private transport! Couldn't we make its price lower so that everyone can afford one?

Does anyone know how much does an auto cost?
Old 6th March 2007, 22:15   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Just saw this on CNBC, Ratan Tata said that they will launch the car at one lac price and it will come with a 600 c.c. monobloc engine (?)
Monoblock = Single cylinder? I feel they should have atleast a 2 pot engine? Does the single cylinder have any advantages over multiple cylinders?
Old 6th March 2007, 23:17   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Will TATA's 1 Lakh Car do to Auto industry what Reliance Mobile did to Telecom?

Compare this scenario..When Reliance was planning to launch it's mobile services for down to earth rates every mobile service provider said it's not possible to reduce their rates...but when Reliance did launch it's service for the lowest rates ever..it did force the others to bring their rates down...it brought it in a new tariff regime in itself...I'm not saying it's only because of Reliance but it did force everyone including TRAI to think and reduce the rates.

Let's not talk about the quality of Reliance here.

I feel the same can also happen to the Auto Industry -
* It will force other Manufactures to rethink on their Pricing - think of lowered prices...
* It will force the Govt to speed up Infrastructure development.

Also...some years back many mocked at the idea of making a Car for 1 Lakh. But we will have to congratulate TATA for bringing this project this far...Let's criticise but let's also be responsible in doing so..
Old 7th March 2007, 08:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw this on CNBC, Ratan Tata said that they will launch the car at one lac price and it will come with a 600 c.c. monobloc engine (?)

Not Mono Block engine but Mono Block Design of Car i.e like Matiz Single Box forms the Car and engine comparment. I think more traditionally called Mono Box design.

Tata's 'world car' to sport 600cc engine-Intl Business-NEWS-The Times of India
Old 7th March 2007, 10:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Will the 600 cc engine be a two cylinder version of the Xeta 1.2 ??
Much like they chopped off half the Indica D engine to make for the ACE.

Hope its at least as powerful as the M800.
Old 7th March 2007, 11:25   #66
BHPian

May be a bit off track but there is a regulation called Kei jidosha or Kei Cars . They are like the small cars having some tax benefits like in India. Most of these cars are regulated to having engine sizes less than 660 cc and most of the put out anywhere between 55-64 bhp (max allowed in Kcar parameters) .

Now if tata could say send a team over and convince Subaru to sell one of those engine technology they have under the R2 then it would be a sweet car to own

But my guess is they would have a Two or three cylinder engine putting out 30-35 bhp.

An additional Point Fiat is going to have a Two Cylinder 900 cc engine powering the Fiat 500 to be launched in July . Power output could go upto 100 Bhp in Turbo/Super Charged form.
Old 7th March 2007, 11:41   #67
BHPian

Here's an update on the 1 Lakh car -- its on road price might be 1.25 Lacs as suggested in the press release by Tata Motors

Rs 1-lakh car may get a tad costlier on way to showroom-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 7th March 2007, 12:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Even I saw that CNBC report.

Mr. Tata clearly said that Rs. 1 lac will be the ex-factory price. The retail price of the base model will be about Rs. 1.5 lacs, according to CNBC.

I seriously doubt if a mere 600 CC engine would be enough to haul 4-5 passengers plus luggage, run an AC and power steering, the latter two features having been announced for higher trim models.

Why would anybody want to buy an non-AC 600 CC car costing Rs. 1.5 lacs when the proven, tried and tested Maruti 800 is available for Rs. 2 lacs?

I have started having doubts about the success of this project.

Last edited by directinjection : 7th March 2007 at 12:09.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:05   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post

One thought often ingtrigues me, why the autorickshaw was never considered as a private transport! Couldn't we make its price lower so that everyone can afford one?
Even the existing autorickshaws on road are difficult to tolerate, how can we even think of adding to their breed? Also, its pretty well-known how unsafe autos are. The dare-devil maneuverability skills exhibited are best less spoken of. [COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]
Old 7th March 2007, 12:06   #70

Tata's 1-Lakh car will certainly give opportunity for 2-wheeler owners to upgrate to a car. I am all for it, however the concerns that this will give rise to terrible traffic conditions is not misplaced either.

What we need is a public-private sector partnership here.. what has been happening in reality is that the private sector has been growing at a much faster pace than public sector (read government agencies). While manufacturing cars and more and more of them is taken care of by the private companies like Tata and thanks to growing middle class, more people can afford them but the govenment agencies are lacking when it comes to providing the infrastructure (roads, flyovers, taffic management etc.) . If the public sector and these government agencies can not catch up with the deluge of cars offerd at an affordable price then we are looking at a very bleak scenario for cars on the road, as most might be forced to ramain parked in the garages.

I for one vote for private companies getting into road maintainence and traffic management. Atleast we can have effective public-private sector partnership for the same.

Cheers!
Old 7th March 2007, 12:18   #71
BHPian

[FONT=Arial]As discussed and stated by a lot of folks in this forum, the 1 Lakh car will not really be a 1 lakh car on road, it will cost us nearly 1.5 and more (as the features increase). Remember that TATA ACE (700 cc, 16 hp @ 3200 rpm, Max Speed: 64kmph) cost around 2.25 Lakh. hmmmmm
[/FONT]
Old 7th March 2007, 12:23   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Even I saw that CNBC report.

Mr. Tata clearly said that Rs. 1 lac will be the ex-factory price. The retail price of the base model will be about Rs. 1.5 lacs, according to CNBC.
It OTR will be 1.25 lakhs and not 1.5.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Yes,
1 lac will be factory rollout price and it may be 1.25 lac ex showroom
Apart from that it will have higher varients having, AC, PS, PW etc.. which will be priced accordingly
Old 7th March 2007, 13:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Why would anybody want to buy an non-AC 600 CC car costing Rs. 1.5 lacs when the proven, tried and tested Maruti 800 is available for Rs. 2 lacs?
True. No wonder MUL is not phasing out the M800 inspite of the stupendous success of the Alto. They will keep selling it at the current prices and the moment the Tata offering hits the market, all they have to do is price it lower (which they can very well afford to) and take on the new entrant.
Old 7th March 2007, 14:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
:One thought often ingtrigues me, why the autorickshaw was never considered as a private transport! .....Does anyone know how much does an auto cost?
I think it is the prestige thing at play here. In Sri Lanka, most auto-rickshaws are for private transport. An auto here should be between 1 - 1.5 lakhs I think.

Most Viewed