Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2007, 10:04   #1
BHPian

Tata 1-lakh car ready, but does India really need it ???

Even as the site of the proposed Tata Motors factory to manufacture its Rs 1-lakh car lies under siege in West Bengal’s Singur, chairman Ratan Tata on Thursday said the car itself is ready and undergoing tooling and testing and is expected to hit the roads between October and December, 2008.

Source : Tata Rs 1-lakh car ready, trials on
Old 16th February 2007, 12:28   #2
BHPian

This is bad news for India unless most of these cars are exported..

Imagine the market for this car.. 1.09 Billion Indians.. Even if 30% of the people can afford to buy this vehicle and it does sell... It means, More Cars, More Traffic, More Pollution, More pressure on the exchequer, More Fuel Consumption, More Environmental Degradation and More Chaos..

I hope somebody puts sense in Ratan Tata's brains and asks him to Scrap the project altogether.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I found the article equally surprising....if they are indeed testing it, then Tata has been quick on its feet. He also speaks about a 2008 launch.

Cant wait for the first spy pics to show up. And I can bet you....neither can Maruti.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
I hope somebody puts sense in Ratan Tata's brains and asks him to Scrap the project altogether.
Valid points all ... But what about Maruti? Why shouldn't we ask them to scrap the 800? And/or the Alto?
Old 16th February 2007, 13:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
What if Mercedes drivers start wishing the same about everything priced lower than their machines? A nation getting motorised is not necessarily be a bad thing.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Valid points all ... But what about Maruti? Why shouldn't we ask them to scrap the 800? And/or the Alto?
Come on TypeO, The Alto is quite a nice car. Its sturdy and its definitely worth a lot more than 1 lac.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope somebody puts sense in Ratan Tata's brains and asks him to Scrap the project altogether
In that case, we should also ask Bajaj and HH to stop making bikes.. as bikes nowadays dont ride on roads, but more on foothpaths.

If the 1 lakh car provides safety to the occupants, there is no need on why the project should be scrapped.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Think before you write...

Quote:
Hey Typo...I wish you should have read my travelogues before commenting such baseless comments...anyway, rest has been spoken by prabuddha...

Abhi
Old 16th February 2007, 13:55   #9
BHPian

Why not RTO's permit only cars with 1100cc or above..
Old 16th February 2007, 13:58   #10
BHPian

This won't be as bad as Man23ish put. If this diverts 2-3 wheel people to 4 wheels, it may reduce 2-3 wheeler trafic. We know what these 2-3 wheelers create on road. Pollution is diff matter. One can guess that this car may be less polluting than 2-3 wheelers.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

If these cars replace the autorickshaws then it should be good (I think thats what will happen eventually). But then, what about the engine. They still cant make a complete car. (they can use Fiat's multijet sliced in half )
Old 16th February 2007, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Hey Typo...I wish you should have read my travelogues before commenting such baseless comments...anyway, rest has been spoken by prabuddha...

Abhi
I think some esteemed members need a lesson in sarcasm. I was saying exactly the same thing you are trying to put across. My point was that if a low cost car from the Tatas deserves to be 'scrapped' and if Ratan Tata needs his head examined, then the same should apply for MUL.

Pardon me gents if I have hurt your sensibilities, but I was not commenting on the quality of the cars in question at all.

P.S. I have an M800 too.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 16th February 2007 at 14:15. Reason: Added post script
Old 16th February 2007, 14:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its Ok...

Quote:
I think some esteemed members need a lesson in sarcasm.
Ohh...Then its OK...Then thats a fair comment from u...
anyway I donot want to comment on that esteemed member you declared Ratan Tata a foolish fellow !!! May be Ratan starts thinking from where he stops !!!

Abhi
Old 16th February 2007, 14:26   #14
Suryam

Quote:
I think some esteemed members need a lesson in sarcasm. I was saying exactly the same thing you are trying to put across. My point was that if a low cost car from the Tatas deserves to be 'scrapped' and if Ratan Tata needs his head examined, then the same should apply for MUL.
P.S. I have an M800 too.
TypeO: You have correctly said about unwanted criticism for Ratan Tata.

BTW, Some times Attack is best form of defence . So people will realize better.

Off topic: For jamming roads, we should blame some one else -- ourselves, govt., politicians, babus,etc. But we number of times blame wrong persons.

Old 16th February 2007, 14:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

we are the 7th largest country in the world. God knows how many times bigger than Japan.

But we have a fraction of the cars that Japan has.....

I dont think they have such bad traffic woes. They will have jams and everything but I dont think there is too much chaos on Japanese roads...

Most Viewed