Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 12:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Updated Mahindra TUV300 Plus caught testing

Thanks to Ullas U for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-tuv300plus1.jpg

The updated TUV300 Plus has been caught testing near Chengalpattu, Chennai. The SUV is likely to get minor exterior updates and a BS-VI compliant engine.

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-tuv300plus4.jpg

This could be the same test mule that was spotted earlier this month featuring dummy headlights and an updated front fascia. From the side, the car looks identical to the present TUV300 Plus. It has squared-off wheel arches and wraparound tail lights. The test car also has a spare wheel mounted on the tailgate.

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-tuv300plus2.jpg

The TUV300 Plus was launched May 2018. At present, the SUV is offered with a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 120 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 280 Nm @ 1,800-2,800 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. The new model is expected to get a BS-VI compliant engine.

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-tuv300plus3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 13:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Updated Mahindra TUV300 Plus caught testing

What does it cost Mahindra to offer this underrated hulk with a front facing 3rd row? I assume they aren't offering it in this updated version. That's a safe assumption given that it's Mahindra we're talking about. They like to behave like a fairytale evil stepmother who treats their stepchild with malice.
locusjag is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 16:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
What does it cost Mahindra to offer this underrated hulk with a front facing 3rd row? I assume they aren't offering it in this updated version. That's a safe assumption given that it's Mahindra we're talking about. They like to behave like a fairytale evil stepmother who treats their stepchild with malice.
I believe that the 300 Plus is to the Marazzo what the Scorpio is to the XUV500: a utilitarian people mover, made more for use as a yellow plate vehicle than for personal users. So the aim is to fit more people inside at a lower cost. Hence, no front facing third row.
sainyamk95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 17:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
I believe that the 300 Plus is to the Marazzo what the Scorpio is to the XUV500: a utilitarian people mover, made more for use as a yellow plate vehicle than for personal users. So the aim is to fit more people inside at a lower cost. Hence, no front facing third row.
I have not seen even a single TUV 300 Plus let alone yellow plate ones in the past 2 years of its launch.

This car was ALL HYPE NO GO! and nothing else. Interiors were flimsy, seating arrangement was very strange and it seems like Mahindra themselves didn't want to sell it. Never saw a single commercial in newspaper or TV.
Old 15th July 2019, 18:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I have not seen even a single TUV 300 Plus let alone yellow plate ones in the past 2 years of its launch.
And I can list out where all I've seen the Plus since its formal launch. It is my very own Unicorn.

* I've seen one being driven around my home near Air Force Station Tambaram in Chennai (a dual tone Red version) where we live with bad roads all the time.
* I've seen a white one in Medavakkam (3 miles due East of the first mentioned location)
* I spotted one parked outside a home in my mamaji's street in Hosur. His street is situated off of a crazy steep incline from a bad road.
* I spotted one in rural Gingee (of the Fort fame) just yesterday
* Not a vehicle sighting, but a future owner sighting. A man came up to me as I parked my Sub 4m TUV 300 off of a highway at a restaurant outside of Chennai. He really admired my vehicle and told me with greater pride that he had booked a Plus. You should've seen the pride in my eyes as I showed him the scuffed paint on my front bumper where my Tank had hit an autorickshaw (the auto was all banged up). You should've seen the happiness in his eyes. He was just an earthy villager who knew where to plonk his hard-earned money. Land sharks and the political mafia offload sacks of cash at Toyota and Ford dealerships for Fortuners and Endeavours. They'll fit a party flag on the hood, go off and run over a few citizens for good luck. But this man here would only run over craters, pot holes and red, earthen roads in his TUV 300 Plus. I liked him like I like the TUV family.

Quote:
This car was ALL HYPE NO GO! and nothing else. Interiors were flimsy, seating arrangement was very strange and it seems like Mahindra themselves didn't want to sell it. Never saw a single commercial in newspaper or TV.
If there was no marketing, where was the hype?

PS: I hate Mahindra for not introducing a top variant of the Plus back in Feb 2018 when I bought my smaller TUV. I'd only seen a bare bones P4 at the showroom in January 2018..and I hate them for not plonking front-facing 3rd row seats in it.
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 23:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Either this should get more creature comforts like the Marazzo (easy to do) or Marazzo should get this awesome engine(not gonna happen). This could have been the scorpio(sales and appeal) of its segment if they had shown it more love.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 07:58   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Updated Mahindra TUV300 Plus caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The updated TUV300 Plus has been caught testing near Chengalpattu, Chennai. The SUV is likely to get minor exterior updates and a BS-VI compliant engine.
Like the TUV300 facelift? Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Marazzo should get this awesome engine(not gonna happen)
The Marazzo has a decent engine for its positioning. I don't see this happening.

Quote:
This could have been the scorpio(sales and appeal) of its segment if they had shown it more love.
The TUV300 Plus is superior to the Scorpio in so many ways, but it was a marketing failure. First, they had a soft-launch where it was offered just to a handful of "approved" owners. Then, the variant line-up was limited. Lastly, there was zero marketing & promotion for the Plus. Most regular folk don't even know the Plus exists - they're only aware of the smaller TUV300.

"Plus" was a dumb marketing move that could (and did) lead to confusion. They should have given it an entirely different name.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2019 at 08:00.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 08:22   #8
srh
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Updated Mahindra TUV300 Plus caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

"Plus" was a dumb marketing move that could (and did) lead to confusion. They should have given it an entirely different name.
I still wonder why it was not called TUV 5OO. And what was the fear which had led them to provide the product absolutely no marketing support. If it is to kill the pathetic Scorpio, so be it.
srh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 10:34   #9
BANNED

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-mahindratuv300plus.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-mahindratuv300plusrear.jpg
  1. TUV300 Plus facelift to have different styling compared to the recently updated TUV300.
  2. Grille, bumper, and headlights will be tweaked.
  3. On the inside, will get captain seats in the second row, front facing bench seat in the third row.
  4. The facelift will initially come with 120hp, 2.2-litre BS-IV diesel engine, and will be later updated to 140hp, 2.2-litre BS-VI diesel engine prior to 1st April 2020.
Source: ACI

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2019 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
[*]On the inside, will get captain seats in the second row, front facing bench seat in the third row.
Now we're talking sense, finally! Hopefully Mahindra will have added a bit of legroom in the 2nd row and also sorted out the suspension for its jumpiness.

If they get it right, I may upgrade to it
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 17:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Managed to click a test mule on the NH45 on Tuesday 01-10-2019. I was going to Salem in a Taxi.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-img_6672.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 Plus Facelift in the works-img_6673.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 17:13   #12
BANNED

When will Mahindra get rid of the slatted grill? Doesn't add too much value to their cars.

Tata got rid of the tree-type tail lamp and their cars started looking better. I still can't look at the top-to-bottom tail lamp of Vista.

Mahindra need to copy some better looking grill design from around the world if they can't imagine a new one.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th October 2019 at 17:15.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 03:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
  1. The facelift will initially come with 120hp, 2.2-litre BS-IV diesel engine, and will be later updated to 140hp, 2.2-litre BS-VI diesel engine prior to 1st April 2019....
Is that a typo - BS VI before Apr 2019? !
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 10:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a damn good UV and IMHO, better than the antique + overpriced Scorpio. But Mahindra really needs to fix 3 things in the TUV300 Plus facelift:

- Bumpy ride
- Heavy steering at low speeds
- Add some kit (rear air vents etc.)

All are very simple fixes which should greatly enhance the value proposition of the car.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 10:53   #15
BHPian

Need to change the heading to Mahindra TUV 3OO Plus Facelift.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks