Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2007, 05:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
would someone post the link made by a guy in UK and didnt Mr.Virgin drive it across teh thames?
Here is the link:

Gibbs Technologies

However, Mr. Branson piloted the Aquada across the English Channel in record time if I recall correctly, and not across the Thames.

The idea has been around for a long time and there have been vehicles in the past (I personally know someone who had a 50s or 60s vintage amphibious car in his garage in Miami, FL but I am not sure he still has it). The advantage in my mind is the cost. If someone can get a car like this for US$20K sounds like a great deal initially (compare to Aquada which I think costs US$116K).

But, I think the cost-benefit doesn't favor the inventor in this case, assuming one can get a reasonably good boat with an outboard motor for Rs.2L. Used speed boats cost sometimes less than US$5K and people tow them all the time with a nice big SUV.
Old 10th March 2007, 08:37   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Here is the link:

Gibbs Technologies

However, Mr. Branson piloted the Aquada across the English Channel in record time if I recall correctly, and not across the Thames.

The idea has been around for a long time and there have been vehicles in the past (I personally know someone who had a 50s or 60s vintage amphibious car in his garage in Miami, FL but I am not sure he still has it). The advantage in my mind is the cost. If someone can get a car like this for US$20K sounds like a great deal initially (compare to Aquada which I think costs US$116K).

But, I think the cost-benefit doesn't favor the inventor in this case, assuming one can get a reasonably good boat with an outboard motor for Rs.2L. Used speed boats cost sometimes less than US$5K and people tow them all the time with a nice big SUV.
Well... Am not sure how much such a car would cost in USD...

The base car is one of the cheapest cars on sale anywhere in the world (Based on a report which came in the Hindu long back)... The total cost of the mods + car comes to around the price of a Honda city... At half the price of the Honda Accord...

Usuallym the currency conversion doesnt work directly... But by simple currency conversion, it should cost around US$ 18k
Old 31st March 2007, 12:28   #18
BHPian

I saw the news about the invention in Manorama News. That guy is a genius. It was the attitude that made him do it in 5 years. He also dint have the funding,thats why it took over 5 years. In the interview he told that he is having plans. Anyway great invention.
Old 31st March 2007, 21:55   #19
BHPian

Wow that's a great job. So much untapped talent exists in India. And kudos to the guy who achieved this feat with his limited financial means .
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:47   #20
WiZ

Just saw a report on TV that his creation has been rusting in a police station. Couldn't hear the exact details. Heard the young man he just wishes that he wont be born in India, in case such a thing happens.
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZ View Post
Just saw a report on TV that his creation has been rusting in a police station. Couldn't hear the exact details. Heard the young man he just wishes that he wont be born in India, in case such a thing happens.
Indian innovator's amphibious vehicle gathers dust - World News, 94847

This is real sad!
Quote:
"But I have been left high and dry because every time I have to test it on water, I have to get a licence from the fire department, Coast Guard, police and even the ports department,"
In India, unless you are rich or have political backing, things can be difficult!
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad. His next project was an underwater car, which now will remain a dream for him.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:53   #23
BHPian

Poor fellow. He must have lost all his vigor and ideas. Any one got more information on this?
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite disappointed reading this; wish I could do something for him, may be when I visit TVM next time, I'll try & meet this guy & try helping him in whatever means I can.

But Thank God he's not hit by corrupt politicians or rich henchmens to steal away his invention.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:17   #25
BHPian

This reminds me of an old movie, "Ek doctor ki maut" played by Pankaj Kapoor. So true that was.

@aargee and all team-bhpians, none alone can help but a community of over 50000 member in union sure can (just a thought).

And yes this is really disappointing.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZ View Post
I too watched the same.. Apparently as per law, you can have a vehicle registered only as a boat or a car. Hence use of a car in the water is against the law and he got into trouble for that...
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:05   #27
BANNED

Such talent should not be left to die out. 3 options come to my mind.

1. Any TBHPians who have sufficient safe covered parking space can, with his permission, keep this car at their place for safe viewing by interested people and for him to demo whenever he wants to. I m sure we have many like this at TVM.

2. TBHPians interested can collect a small fund to maintain and keep this vehicle running like new so that it doesn't rust into the ground.

3. TBHPians could circulate this information to the people we know and on the forum so that auto companies/research institutes etc get to know of this man and his invention.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
@aargee and all team-bhpians, none alone can help but a community of over 50000 member in union sure can (just a thought).
+1 to that. I am ready to chip in. Even if only half the member contribute Rs 10 it will be quite a sum.
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am ready to chip in. Can someone meet the guy and set up an account on his name? Some PSU account like SBI where we can transfer money online and he will have to maintain minimum balance to keep the account alive. We can donate money to his account for helping the genius.

Some Kerala guys need to take initiatives in setting this up. Forget the leaders, they are too busy gathering wealth for their future generations.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am ready to chip in. Can someone meet the guy and set up an account on his name? Some PSU account like SBI where we can transfer money online and he will have to maintain minimum balance to keep the account alive. We can donate money to his account for helping the genius.

Some Kerala guys need to take initiatives in setting this up. Forget the leaders, they are too busy gathering wealth for their future generations.
True! I am ready to chip in.

Hopefully, one of our kerala based T-BHPen does a full coverage on this amphibious craft!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks