Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 12:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post

Apologies if any of the questions are naive, just that I am, as the Japanese say, having 'many minds'. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
My views on this.
  • Your Seltos choice is excellent. It is, in my opinion, the perfect allrounder for the price. Your current vehicle is adequate so what's the hurry? You can wait it out.
  • Do not buy a manual for a crowded city commute. Peace of mind in driving an automatic compensates for any perceived concerns around reliability. I've only driven automatics for the last 10 years. I'm never going back.
  • If you really love the Octavia, get the 1.8 DSG only with full extended warranty.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 25th October 2019 at 12:36.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 16:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Couple of corrections:
. This 1.4 will be globally replaced with a 1.5 shortly.

Vento comes with a 1.2 TSI + 7S DQ200 combination, i.e. same as the Polo. This will probably be replaced with a 1.0 as well.
I am not sure the global replacements of some of these engines are making it to India for the foreseeable future. The 1.8 TSI in the Octavia was replaced globally by the 2.0 TSI years ago but we continue to see the 1.8 in India. The latest A3/A4 facelift/launch models came with the 1.5 TSI in some global markets yet comes with the 1.4 here.
Old 25th October 2019, 16:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am not sure the global replacements of some of these engines are making it to India for the foreseeable future. The 1.8 TSI in the Octavia was replaced globally by the 2.0 TSI years ago but we continue to see the 1.8 in India. The latest A3/A4 facelift/launch models came with the 1.5 TSI in some global markets yet comes with the 1.4 here.
Potentially the introduction of BS-VI and related certification requirements will push VAG to move to the global standard now rather than later.
Old 25th October 2019, 23:18   #34
BHPian

Thanks folks for the reverts. Much appreciated.

Few more updates after talks with dealers: Onyx and L&K seems to be what Skoda is betting on for Octavia till they ride out the BS4 to BS6 storm as well as the introduction of the new model in 2020, from what I gather. 1.8 TSi is not available any more apparently (at least in Bangalore). For 1.4 TSi manual, both the dealers here have very limited color choices, or almost nil other than white.

As for me, tough call, this - as Ranjit mentioned above, Seltos is a balanced choice (i had gone through the GDI engine issues/DCT heating considerations, and had opted for the Torque Converter for practicality and peace of mind). But (there is always a but, ain't there?) - there is something about Octavia that tugs one's heartstrings.

Maybe the fact that my Rapid has been a most faithful, solid friend through 5 plus years, tackling even few off the road kind of terrain in places like Wayanad or hills of Chikmangalur for one. I own an I20 too and like as i do that car, it never has that same solidity feel as the Skoda, IMO. Well, all said and done, my head may still win and I will go for the Seltos (especially if the Onyx deals discussed become less sweet when fine print is read), but for now, mighty tempted towards a blue/red Onyx.

Let's see - will keep you folks posted. In the mean time, if any of us have taken the plunge and got an Onyx, do share thoughts on the experience.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th October 2019 at 13:27. Reason: formatted for better readability
Old 26th October 2019, 12:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
would like inputs on below points if i were to consider moving off the Kia and going for Octavia:

1. The BS4 vs BS6 question - does it really matter for a petrol?
2. City drive-ability in tight traffic - am pretty cool with Rapid dimensions, how different will be that few extra inches of Octavia in getting through kiss-the-side kind of traffic we see in Bangalore and adapting to shrinking parking spaces?
I am using Jetta in Pune in bumper to bumper traffic and the size is somewhat similar to Octavia and I can say that it really does not matter. I upgraded from Punto so I was used to the hatchback dimensions but Jetta just wraps itself around you and you hardly feel the size.
Old 28th October 2019, 12:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
....To cut through the rant, I would go Octavia any day - a generation old Octavia is more cutting edge and aesthetic than a generation newer CRV. Skoda is also starting to fix its dealer and service network and with the six year warranty, you can have peace of mind.
Many Thanks !!
Can anyone let know the best deal that they have seen or negotiated in Delhi for a Skoda Onyx 1.8 TSI. I heard somebody mention they are getting a 70K discount in Bangalore. Also is the car Bharat Stage VI compliant ? Would it work fine with the BSVI fuel which would be standard here from April 2020 ? Any advise / comments would be most welcome.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th October 2019 at 13:28. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th October 2019, 20:49   #37
BHPian

Has been negotiating the last few days. 23.5L thereabout OTR (we have a high OTR value here in Bangalore, so might differ in Delhi) is something that can be worked out, probably another 50k if you have loyalty bonus and dealer really wants to sell etc, I guess.

Another question, on Onyx: Is the DSG on offer the DQ200 gearbox? Fellow Bangaloreans who use Octavia with this 7-speed gearbox, what are your impressions? Is the DSG OK for the daily crawl in our city?
Old 28th October 2019, 23:20   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has been negotiating the last few days. 23.5L thereabout OTR (we have a high OTR value here in Bangalore, so might differ in Delhi) is something that can be worked out, probably another 50k if you have loyalty bonus and dealer really wants to sell etc, I guess.

Another question, on Onyx: Is the DSG on offer the DQ200 gearbox? Fellow Bangaloreans who use Octavia with this 7-speed gearbox, what are your impressions? Is the DSG OK for the daily crawl in our city?
Which dealer is this? 23.5L is 1.2L off the on road price.

Yes the 1.8L TSI is DQ200 dry clutch 7 speed DSG. In traffic it is not the ideal but off late issues have come down.
Old 29th October 2019, 09:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The listed on road price is 25.7L - which makes it around 2.2L discounts. This is interesting without including the loyalty bonus yet. Are you getting these discounts by removing any of the Skoda insurance/ Shoda Shield which includes 5th & 6th year warranty? Would you mind sharing some more details & the dealer?

Also, has anyone witnessed the Onyx variant in the showrooms yet? Any more pictures would be appreciated!

For DQ200 - As mentioned by many, the number of reported issues have gone down but this one being a dry clutch does have its share of 'back of the mind' concerns, especially if you are in crawling Bangalore traffic. It would perform perfectly fine in these conditions as well, and you just need to nurture it a little under such B2B situations. It is like being a little cautious with cold stuff if you are prone to catching cold! (that was a bad one!) It may not be able to offer the perfect peace of mind, but covers up with its slick behavior.

P.S - I drive the same gearbox in my Vento TSI - though not comparable engines, but I do have a sense of the gearbox.
Old 29th October 2019, 12:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

^
WOW, that' close to 3L discount on the Onyx (including loyalty)
That's an amazing deal though difficult to believe. All I could manage after lots of haggling is 50K loyalty bonus, not a penny more.
If the Skoda dealership here would have been so flexible, I would have probably picked it up instead of the Vento TSI.
Old 29th October 2019, 13:25   #41
BHPian

Wooh. I need to curb the excitement here a bit, sadly. Guys, sorry, we have to add another lakh atleast here for insurance as I assumed folks will buy from outside/own/ car lease company option etc was not in my earlier number. And, this is with 4 year warranty only. Another 55k for the extended 6 year warranty. I have spoken to both Bangalore dealers and this is something that can be worked out with both I guess, if you're an existing customer.
Old 30th October 2019, 14:21   #42
BHPian

In Delhi I believe the on road price is 23.29 Lacs without any discounts for the petrol 1.8 tsi. Most probably I should have a test drive in the next couple of days. The dealer said he will bring the car to my place. My big doubt though is how will the BS VI fuel impact the car as I don't think their engine is BS VI compliant. I will check with the dealer when he brings it over.
BTW , has anyone taken a test drive of the new Hyundai Elentra. How does it compare to the Octy 1.8 tsi ? Not a big fan of Korean cars though, as I would rather trust a Japanese or a German car any day.
Old 1st November 2019, 14:00   #43
BHPian

Just test drove the Octy 1.8 tsi. The dealer had brought in the L&K version and my wife also drove it while I checked out the back seat feel. Enough as been said about the driving pleasures the car gives so I won't go in to those details.

We briefly discussed the discounts, which were brought down to 23.5 L for Onyx & 27 L for L&K + 44k for 4 year / 60 thousand kms. Service & maintenance. In case you prefer to get your own insurance that will save you an extra 55K but then the warranty comes down to 4 years. The cost of 55K for 5th & 6th year warranty is built into the company insurance costs.

If I can somehow bring the L&K price down to 24.5 - 25L, I wouldn't going for it as this model is what gives a real luxury feel. BTW the guy who brought it for the test drive said that the engine is BS VI compliant. Any advise / comments on this last point would be most welcome. I will keep you folks informed on my progress.

Last edited by manson : 1st November 2019 at 15:30. Reason: Typos.
Old 5th November 2019, 17:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

In Hyderabad, they are quoting 24,76,658 for 1.8 TSI Onyx and no discounts.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:55   #45
BHPian

Both the dealers in Pune do not have the Onyx for test drive. Akoya got the 1.8 TSi L&K for a test drive while Garve got the Superb instead! Had to go to the Honda service center of Garve (weird, I know) to check out the red colour Onyx. First impressions were very good. The black interiors were "proper" black, which I liked. Even the roof trim is black which I was not expecting. It is only due to the large proportions of the car and airy windows that prevents it from feeling like a cave

As reported before, the Onyx misses out on:
1. Sunroof (would have let some light in to the cabin)
2. Virtual cockpit (can live without)
3. 6 airbags instead of 8
4. Park assist (worked 1 time out of 4 during my attempts of test driving the L&K, so feels more like a gimmick)
5. Interior ambient lighting (can live without)
6. Subwoofer
7. TPMS

The main reason for buying this car would be the lusty performance of the 1.8 which will not be available in the BS6 era and the spy photos of the 2020 Octavia are not encouraging. Both dealers were ready to provide loyalty bonus of 50k for my Vento. Akoya had a upfront discount of 1 lakh on the L&K and said we can work out something for the Onyx.

Posting some photos I took at the service center

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20191108-10.30.26-am-1.jpeg

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20191108-10.30.26-am-2.jpeg

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20191108-10.30.26-am.jpeg

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20191108-10.30.26-am-3.jpeg
jogidada is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks