Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 17:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh

So do you plan to go for the Onyx ? I tried the Honda civic petrol and just like the older model, this one also feels a tad underpowered. Honestly, why couldn't they fit the 2.0 litres engine from the CRV in this car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
Both the dealers in Pune do not have the Onyx for test drive. Akoya got the 1.8 TSi L&K for a test drive while Garve got the Superb instead! Had to go to the Honda service center of Garve (weird, I know) to check out the red colour Onyx. First impressions were very good. The black interiors were "proper" black, which I liked.
Old 8th November 2019, 21:15   #47
BHPian

No doubt the Skoda Octavia has the best driving dynamics and the best engine-gearbox combo. But given the deep discounts on the Civic, it is strange that Skoda is not budging on price and doing half the numbers. Even I tried to negotiate on discounts on Octavia but max I could manage is a 1 lakh discount while the L & K is significantly overpriced. I wish the Onyx/Style came with a sunroof. That would have made it a real value proposition.

Currently the Civic offers much better value to price compared to the Octavia. Altough the Civic accelerates in a relaxed manner it always gives a feeling that it has much more juice to push it harder.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 00:18   #48
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Hi,
I took delivery of Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI in race blue colour. The car is truly value for money in all respects. The driving experience is truly exceptional. I am just adding a pic. Will add more pics and details soon.

I am thankful to everyone for the guidance.

Thanks and regards

Sumesh
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-img_20191107_161334.jpg  

Old 10th November 2019, 07:00   #49
BHPian

Actually the price difference is not much between the petrol VX model of Civic Petrol and the Onyx. The Honda Civic models are overpriced and even after the 75K discount it kind of matches with the Onyx. The Civic Petrol V model has a discount of 2 lakhs and is an attractive proposition but is obviously not doing well as it lacks many features including a touch screen infotainment system.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
No doubt the Skoda Octavia has the best driving dynamics and the best engine-gearbox combo. But given the deep discounts on the Civic, it is strange that Skoda is not budging on price and doing half the numbers. Even I tried to negotiate on discounts on Octavia but max I could manage is a 1 lakh discount while the L & K is significantly overpriced. I wish the Onyx/Style came with a sunroof. That would have made it a real value proposition.

Currently the Civic offers much better value to price compared to the Octavia. Altough the Civic accelerates in a relaxed manner it always gives a feeling that it has much more juice to push it harder.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 11:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Actually the price difference is not much between the petrol VX model of Civic Petrol and the Onyx. The Honda Civic models are overpriced and even after the 75K discount it kind of matches with the Onyx. The Civic Petrol V model has a discount of 2 lakhs and is an attractive proposition but is obviously not doing well as it lacks many features including a touch screen infotainment system.....
If you go to the dealer the Civic discounts are substantially higher than the sticker discounts and the V is much cheaper than the Style differnce of more than 4 lacs.
Old 11th November 2019, 16:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
So do you plan to go for the Onyx ? I tried the Honda civic petrol and just like the older model, this one also feels a tad underpowered. Honestly, why couldn't they fit the 2.0 litres engine from the CRV in this car ?
Not rushing into the purchase yet. Need to test drive the Civic before making a decision. It seems this segment has very few takers at the moment. From the Oct 2019 sales thread:
Civic - 436
Octavia - 231
Elantra - 59
Old 11th November 2019, 16:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post

I think Skoda is smartly managing their inventories and pricing to avoid deep discounting. They don't want to be stuck with BS4 engines in April 2020, so they are importing just the requisite number of CKD kits to keep the sales ticking over. Dealer was quoting a 4-6 week wait time and only blue colour being dispatched this month.
Old 11th November 2019, 16:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

1.8 TSI with the 7 speed DSG would be the jewel in the Skoda crown that can be seen only and not bought after Apr 2020, so Skoda are playing it smart and avoiding deep discounts by bringing in the Onyx edition. Civic can't hold a candle to the 1.8 TSI performance. The only way the Civic sells is to the 'risk averse' crowd who don't want a 'complicated' relationship with Skoda after purchase: but that can be averted by getting all the possible warranties and saving one's skin for the next 5 years from Skoda.
Old 12th November 2019, 14:02   #54
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Hi Sumesh,
Do post some pics of the interior also.
Sorry for the delay. I am posting some of the interior pics of the Onyx.

Regards

Sumesh

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-img_20191110_163718.jpg

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-img_20191110_163654.jpg

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-img_20191110_163621.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th November 2019 at 01:34.
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:53   #55
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Just test drove the Honda Civic petrol CVT and it just feels like the old Civic which I currently drove. hence I am getting more & more inclined towards the Octavia 1.8 psi. I just wanted to check, will the dealer allow my own outside insurance for the car ? Skoda is currently charging 95.5K for the insurance without the 5th & 6th year warranty where as from outside I can get it for barely 40K or 3 year 0% depreciation for one lac.
I guess the essential kit (I resume mud flaps , foot mats, cushions) is mandatory which I am fine with . Also there is a charge of 19.9K for Onyx & 23.4 K for L&K listed for TCS. Can anyone shed light on what exactly is TCS ? your inputs on this would be most welcome. Will keep you informed on the progress towards the purchase.
Also your inputs on anything else that I should keep in mind would be most welcome.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:33   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

TCS is Tax Collected at Source. It is 1% of the ex-showroom price and is remitted to the government. You can offset it against tax you owe or claim a refund in your next years’ income tax return.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:36   #57
BHPian

Thanks ! Good to have this info.
A small correction in my earlier post What I meant was the new Honda Civic feels just like the old Civic, which I currently OWN. Didn't find much of a difference between the two except for cosmetic upgrades.... the only noticeable change I felt was that the front seats of the new civic are a bit more comfortable than the earlier one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
TCS is Tax Collected at Source. It is 1% of the ex-showroom price and is remitted to the government. You can offset it against tax you owe or claim a refund in your next years’ income tax return.
Old 17th November 2019, 19:51   #58
BHPian

Well, after taking the time of BHPians in this thread and in the Octavia thread with all my questions and thoughts, it does seem an anticlimax to write this. I had a very disappointing day at the showroom today. Had almost made up my mind to go with Onyx after discussing a possible deal with the sales contact at Vinayak Motors, ORR. I had called ahead and set a time today to go and show the car to my wife as well as do the final negotiations and seal a deal. On reaching the show room, i was told that the person i have been talking to is not present (i had talked to him over phone and had set the time) and that another sales person will attend to us in 10 minutes time. We checked out the rather familiar (i have Rapid for 6 years now) but more elegant interiors of the car - was wanting to show wifey the extra features, especially the notch design of the boot. I requested the staff present to open the boot and to my utter astonishment he said that he cannot open it as it was a 'display car'. That's the exact terminology he used, am not kidding. Nobody turned up in the said time or attended to us (Sunday? sales targets met?) and after aimlessly loitering around few minutes, we decided to move out silently. Maybe it then dawned upon them that we are not very happy and one person came up and said that he can show the boot of an L&K parked outside and he did that. We looked, said thanks and moved off. Am pretty amazed. I mean, has been their customer for last 6 years, am returning out of the love of the brand despite all the DSG worries, BS4 etc and they treat us so indifferently. I called the sales person after some time and he said that the sales person he had mentioned as the substitute did turn up just after we left (we were so disappointed overall, maybe we did not wait enough too, to be fair). We discussed on phone the deal i had in mind and he curtly said that it is not possible, so that was that. Anyways, was not a very pleasant experience. Sometimes as customers, gut feelings are all we have and am not getting a good vibe here. Guess i will be retaining my Seltos booking and see how it turns out there. For now, Onyx seem a bit faraway. Maybe i will not sell of my Rapid but keep it as a second car for the Skoda connection and just to get that feel of solidity when i need to push a car that just extra bit, on an open stretch. So long then, Onyx.
anoop cheeran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 20:33   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
.... So long then, Onyx.
Nothing worse than turning off (and away) an enthusiastic customer, whether the brand is a struggler or the market leader is irrelevant.

If you haven't given up on the car itself, consider visiting another dealer. Don't let a bad sales experience ruin a potentially special purchase.
Old 17th November 2019, 22:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Has been negotiating the last few days. 23.5L thereabout OTR (we have a high OTR value here in Bangalore, so might differ in Delhi) is something that can be worked out, probably another 50k if you have loyalty bonus and dealer really wants to sell etc, I guess.
23.5L OTR is a steal, are there multiple Skoda dealers in Bangalore? Here in Chennai it's almost ₹ 25L. There are no discounts as the Onyx itself is a discounted edition. In Chennai there's just one dealer: Gurudev Motors so can't negotiate much. But the Skoda sales staff have been very courteous and patient with me and have followed up with a discrete SMS and enquired I'd do a second TD as the first TD was through out in heavy traffic for around 5-6 kms and had no opportunity to real open up the 1.8 TSi's full potential. They brought the car to my place and waited for 30-45 mins for me to finish my morning session. But I found the seating rather low set coming from the Honda City where I just step into the drivers seat where as in the Skoda, I have to lower myself into the seat.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 17th November 2019 at 22:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks