Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 17:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh

Skoda has launched the Octavia Onyx in India. The car is priced at Rs. 19,99,599 for the petrol version and Rs. 21,99,599 for the diesel version.

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-octavia-onyx_bg-ext-new_lq.jpg

The Octavia Onyx comes with a black grille that has a chrome frame, black ORVMs and door foils, gloss black spoiler and 16-inch Premia alloy wheels, also finished in black.

On the inside, the car gets black leather upholstery with chrome inserts and a 3-spoke, flat-bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters and wrapped in black perforated leather. It has 12-way electrically adjustable front seats with lumbar support and memory settings for the driver seat. The Octavia Onyx comes with automatic dual-zone climate control and an 8-inch touchscreen head-unit that has MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.

The Octavia Onyx is powered by a 1.8-litre, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 178 BHP and 250 Nm and is paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission and a 2.0-litre diesel unit that makes 141 BHP and 320 Nm and comes mated to a 6-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

The Octavia Onyx is equipped with safety features such as Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), ABS with EBD and brake assist, ESC, Multi Collision Brake (MKB), Anti Slip Regulation (ASR) and Electronic Differential Lock (EDL).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 17:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh

Posted in the Official Review thread - mods please merge or delete my duplicate posts if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-o1.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-o2.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-o3.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-o4.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia Onyx launched at Rs. 20 lakh-o5.jpeg  

itwasntme is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 19:07   #3

Another gimmick of a launch by Skoda. However, the black interiors are a welcome change from the sea of beige we often come to see from Skoda.

I think its about time, both Skoda and Volkswagen offer customers the choice of either beige or black interiors, like they do in the European Markets.

That said, the price of the petrol seems quite tempting considering its main rivals - the Civic, Corolla and the Elantra are priced at par/marginally higher.
AnishKarande is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 19:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think it's another of those stock clearance sales. Launch of the next generation Octavia is just around the corner, so perhaps Skoda India is trying to get rid off its allocated CKD kits for the current gen car. Anyways the Onyx is still looking quite good with that black treatment inside out.
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 19:51   #5
BHPian

Doesn't Octavia get virtual instrument panel now? Why do Onyx have analog dials?
Old 10th October 2019, 21:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Doesn't Octavia get virtual instrument panel now? Why do Onyx have analog dials?

The virtual cockpit is available only on the L&K variant. The Onyx is based more on the Style variant and thus misses out on some additional features from L&K such as Virtual Cockpit, Sunroof, 2 extra airbags, ambient lighting along with a few other minor ones.
vickyP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 21:52   #7
BHPian

So, now the blue color is available? Their website doesn't reflect this.
Old 10th October 2019, 23:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishKarande View Post

That said, the price of the petrol seems quite tempting considering its main rivals - the Civic, Corolla and the Elantra are priced at par/marginally higher.
It's only 60000 lower than the regular pricing and i believe the normal one was getting better discounts however the onyx might not
Old 10th October 2019, 23:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
It's only 60000 lower than the regular pricing and i believe the normal one was getting better discounts however the onyx might not
People can say whatever they want. For me this onyx variant is the best driver's car on Indian road under 20 lakhs ex sbowroom. A superbly well built car with 1.8 TSI DSG combo, and complete safety kit is something which gives me goose bumps. Add to that it also has my favorite black interior trim.
I think people buying Seltos GTX ( as they will be very close to Onyx price and they would be more of performance seekers) should seriously think about this. Seltos cannot match any attribute of this beauty apart from some gimmicky features and more ground clearence. If I was in the market today, red Onyx would be my top pick.
Map this beast to stage 3, get a fatter tyre and turn it into a monster. Absolutely bliss.

Last edited by Roadster17 : 10th October 2019 at 23:41.
Roadster17 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 00:14   #10
BHPian

lol. Love the loyalty at the spec sheet and the disconnection from the reality of owning a Skoda in India.
Screwdriva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 00:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
lol. Love the loyalty at the spec sheet and the disconnection from the reality of owning a Skoda in India.
Everyone knows the technical prowess of Octavia and other Skoda cars however there is a reason they are not segment leaders in any of the segments, personally for me thinking about their service gives me the goosebumps,
sandhyab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 07:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I know man, Skoda service can be an issue. And in reality, you should always have a backup car if you own ths skoda. But if you ask me, i will be ok even if my skoda is in garage for 5 days a year. As for the remaining 360 days, I will be grinning with joy. I own a VW ( almost similar to skoda )since past 3 years and it is not bad at all, compared to my interactions with Maruti or Hyundai servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
personally for me thinking about their service gives me the goosebumps
Could not stop myself laughing. This was one of the reason apart from L&K variant being expensive and some reservations on DSG, I went ahead with Jeep Compass. Although still somewhere in my heart, Octavia stays. They say - you never forget your first love..

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2019 at 08:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 11th October 2019, 08:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
People can say whatever they want.
I think people buying Seltos GTX ( as they will be very close to Onyx price and they would be more of performance seekers) should seriously think about this. Seltos cannot match any attribute of this beauty apart from some gimmicky features and more ground clearance. If I was in the market today, red Onyx would be my top pick.
Quote:
This was one of the reason apart from L&K variant being expensive and some reservations on DSG, I went ahead with Jeep Compass.
You are self contradicting here. Is it possible that the people who are buying the Seltos GTX and GTX+ variants are also worried about the infamous Skoda After sales support, just like you were? Or the fact that one is a mini SUV and the other a sedan with the only similarity being that the top end Seltos is priced around the ex-showroom price of the entry level Octavia (still a difference of a good 2L in OTR prices just for the base variant)? Or the fact that the GTX+ Seltos is loaded to the grill with features?
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You are self contradicting here. Is it possible that the people who are buying the Seltos GTX and GTX+ variants are also worried about the infamous Skoda After sales support, just like you were? Or the fact that one is a mini SUV and the other a sedan with the only similarity being that the top end Seltos is priced around the ex-showroom price of the entry level Octavia (still a difference of a good 2L in OTR prices just for the base variant)? Or the fact that the GTX+ Seltos is loaded to the grill with features?
I might be wrong, but my assumption is that, Seltos GT line is being purchased by people who want a good fun to drive car and there is a dearth of such cars south of 20 lacs. Else there are non GT variants in Seltos available. Seltos is not even a proper SUV. At best a modern crossover. For me a car is all about its engineering, mechanicals and abilities. I am not sure there is one attribute ,viz.size, build quality, engine, gearbox, comfort, driving dynamics, performance where Seltos can even come close to Octy.

I was referring to Onyx which is very well kitted and priced. Apart from fancy HUD, Air filter, 360 degree camera, Ventilated seats, there is no usable feature on "well loaded upto the gill" Seltos which you will miss on Octy. These things can be fixed but you cannot fix the soul of the car which is the core mechanicals.
So in totality, if you love driving and if you are getting an Octy with 5 years warranty within 2 -3 lac difference you should buy the Octy instead of seltos if you are looking for an enthusiastic ride.

And as far as reliability issue is concerned you will get to read equal amount of horror stories for both DSG and Kia GDI engine on net.

Finally, I might sound contradicting to my post but, this is life. You dont get what you love always. I love vRS, Cherokee Trackhawk but don't know if I will buy them even if I have money to do so.

Cheers
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 10:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I might be wrong, but my assumption is that, Seltos GT line is being purchased by people who want a good fun to drive car and there is a dearth of such cars south of 20 lacs. Else there are non GT variants in Seltos available.

I was referring to Onyx which is very well kitted and priced. Apart from fancy HUD, Air filter, 360 degree camera, Ventilated seats, there is no usable feature on "well loaded upto the gill" Seltos which you will miss on Octy.
Your assumption might not be right in this case. Anyone who buys a vehicle with a higher GC is not exactly looking for a fun to drive vehicle. It ought to drive well, which the Seltos does, but not necessarily be as fun as a sedan. That is a known fact right? You can do all the modifications to a crossover SUV and yet it would not offer you the driving dynamics of a sedan. So the comparison of the Seltos with the Octavia is wrong to begin with and they are both entirely different vehicles.

As far as features go, you may not appreciate a 360 degree camera amd other features. But others may. And it is these others who are likely booking the car. I stay in Gurgaon and I know the value of a high GC vehicle here.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks