Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 14:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Name a car which you want to be sold in India

I'd like to see a "Modern" Ambassador make a comeback in India, with all it's core values intact. When Porsche can go on looking the same, why not the Ambassador? Actually an Amby can be made to look great with it's rounded profile, Chunky tyres and wheels and spacious cabin with a good monocoque body and an efficient engine of at least 1.5L capacity in petrol and diesel.
Durango Dude is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:32   #62
BHPian

I would love to see the Subaru Outback, RAV4 and CX5 in India. Another one would be the Ram 3500. It is a real beast of a vehicle. As a brand Subaru and Mazda would be great to have too.
Although to be honest, all I want is for the current manufacturers to only launch their recent products with same features as is sold abroad. It will push prices up but let's face it, its already at a point where everything is damn expensive.

Last edited by chittybang : 14th October 2019 at 14:32. Reason: grammar
Old 14th October 2019, 14:43   #63
BHPian

I really really want the Mazda MX5/ Miata. The cheque is ready. The other cars that I wouldn't blink while buying is a Toyota FJ Cruiser and Suzuki Jimny. We get terribly boring or super-expensive cars in India and that is such a shame. I need a reason to sell my 7 year old Honda Jazz.
Old 14th October 2019, 15:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Subaru and Mazda have been mentioned quite a lot in this thread. Being a Subaru WRX owner I'm impressed.

Both these brands have bulletproof reliability across a wide range of vehicles. From two-seater coupes like the Miata and BRZ to FULL-SIZE SUVs like the CX-9 and Ascent, their range is expansive.

However, Subaru or Mazda would never enter the value-conscious Indian market. They are priced above Toyota and it would be impossible to price them competitively in India without compromising on quality.

You can drool how much ever you want on the WRX, WRX STI or Golf GTI. But what you don't realise is that their pricing overlaps the German Big3. WRX STI is priced close to the BMW 330i. A WRX needs to be serviced twice a year vs. a BMW 330i that needs annual service. The BMW 330i on BSI plan actually costs lesser to service.

BMW couldn't sell the 330i in respectable numbers in India and we want Subaru to sell the WRX in India?

Anyways, my contribution to the thread is the Swift Sport. A FTD turbo-petrol hatch with manual and automatic transmission options at around 15L sold and serviced by the expansive and reliable Maruti Suzuki network. I guess that's a more reasonable expectation.

I am tempted to say Tesla Model 3 but perhaps after 5 years.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
I think one vehicle that I would like to see here is the Ford F-150. Now any other car or vehicle can be imported here but will either suit our conditions or will get lost amongst other rivals or simply lose out on the new brand enigma. But the F-150 is one unique proposition that will immediately make the Indians notice mainly because of its looks, pedigree and ability to tackle our roads. If history in our market is anything to go by, it's XL size and pick up truck design makes it a dud, but I feel this car can change the way people look at imposing pick up trucks in the Indian market. Imagine a standard F-150 XLT trim with the 2.7L Ecoboost engine at around the 40 to 50L price range. Yes, the XLT trim is pretty well kitted. Also, The Raptor can easily win buyers if priced at the 60L mark. I know the price will make a common man irk, but I can foresee many young car enthusiasts lapping it up. It's Fast and Furious movie fame is just too hard to ignore.

Attachment 1922371
I would love to own one at Indian prices. If at all Ford is to follow Mustang route, the Raptor will easily cost beyond 1.5Cr. That said after sitting and seeing one, I doubt if this will even fit the Indian roads. Almost as wide as BMTC bus and in the US this trucks appear humongous, even the Mercedes GLS looks puny. Add a fat rubber and lift kit, this car is from another planet. If I am to take this in Bangalore roads, I will probably have to call traffic police to block the roads. If there is any car in the world that can beat a F-150 in terms of road presence , it is the RAM.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:03   #66
BHPian

I think we are going way off topic here and we probably wanted to discuss about cars that we would want to see in India through the normal route and not through the fully imported route of the likes of Mustang/ Lamborhinis, etc.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:20   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish these hot hatches were on sale in India, given that the makers of these cars are already doing business here

Golf GTI
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-golf-gti.jpg

Ford Fiesta ST
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-fiesta.jpg

Audi RS3
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-rrs3.jpg

Image source : Google image search
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:57   #68
BHPian

As soon as I saw the post, the first car that came to my mind was Fiesta ST.

I have always wanted this one car in India. It doesn't matter if it is a CKD. Just want the car! If I were to pick a hot hatch, this would be the one 10 out of 10 times.

Apart from that, I'd wish to see Swift Sport, Up! GTI and Polo GTI.

A special mention goes to i10 N line. Despite not being a fullblown N car, it feels just right. I had a chance to sit in it. The steering feels great to hold and gear level is nice to hold with short throws. It could be a fun little car.
puneeth2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 18:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Would love to see Honda S2000 on our shores!
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-s2000.jpg

An NSX or TypeR also would do

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-nsx.png

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-typer.png
Old 14th October 2019, 21:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

I guess I joined late to the party as my wish list is already covered

- Honda S660
- VW Scirocco

But if Nissan and Honda can come out of their caves or wherever they are hiding, they can really sell their SUVs here. My wishlist:

- Honda Pilot
- Nissan Pathfinder

The one car I would have bought without seeking anyone's opinion:

- Renault Clio

Last edited by NiInJa : 14th October 2019 at 21:03.
Old 14th October 2019, 21:46   #71
BHPian

With the way Ford is investing in the Bronco, I'd love to see that little SUV come to India. The moniker has a rich history, and from what we know about it till now, it can single-handedly wipe out the competition across segments if launched in India!

Ford should price it somewhere in the Tucson's range and see it devour cars from a segment above and a segment below. Dig up a little about the upcoming Bronco and you'll realize that the Bronco can give SUVs like the Jeep twins, the Volkswagen Tiguan, and the Skoda Kodiaq a run for their money; provided, it is launched with the same stature as the international models and not some ripped-off version.
Old 14th October 2019, 22:53   #72
BHPian

I would love to see, Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline, Nissan GTRs and Mazda RX 7 and 8. Yeah, maybe Toyota Supra with antilag and two step.
Old 14th October 2019, 23:09   #73
BHPian

My Picks

1. Nissan Maxima - The Japanese BMW
2. Nissan Armada - Big and Beautiful
3. Honda Odyssey - Excellent People Mover
4. Chevy Silverado - The mighty Pickup Truck
5. Dodge RAM - Men's toy
6. Toyota 4 Runner - Road or no roads, this will keep going !
Attached Thumbnails
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-armada.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-odyssey.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-2019chevroletsilverado150001.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-2019ram150001.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-maxima.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-4r.jpg  

Last edited by Superleggera : 14th October 2019 at 23:11.
Superleggera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:33   #74
BHPian

I Would love to see Jimny on Indian roads. Jimny 2019 is truly a feast for the eyes.
Old 15th October 2019, 00:19   #75
BHPian

I would love to see the 2020 Touareg come to India. I know it will be expensive as a CKD, but would just love to see it on the roads. Its a beauty and a beast!!

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-2019volkswagentouareg1001x565p-2.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 15th October 2019 at 00:23.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed