Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:57   #121
BHPian

Re: Name a car which you want to be sold in India

I would love to see 2+2 seater cars/convertibles with a small footprint sold in India. This segment can open up now given the new age trends of double-income-no-kids family. Unfortunately the only options (mini cooper/pre-loved fiat 500)are super-expensive for regular Joe's.
Old 4th November 2019, 15:24   #122
BHPian

Skoda Fabia (New)
Swift RS (Euro Spec RS)
Mitsubishi Evolution
Subaru Imprezza

Basically Rally bred sedans and hatches.
TN13Sleeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 10:13   #123
BHPian

Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Mazda MX5
Jetta 1.4 TSI with digital cockpit
Mercedes Benz GLE 350 with MBUX and self driving features
Tesla model 3, S, X (EV)
Nissan Leaf (EV)
Chevy Bolt (EV)
Old 10th November 2019, 13:03   #124
Vmv
BHPian

Renault Espace
Renault Clio
Ford Fiesta
Renault Kadjar
VW Arteon
Jaguar XE SV PROJECT 8 !!!! I know it's not in sale but I want one, I just want to hear the engine roar.
The new age Fiat- Tipo
The died Ford Mondeo
Attached Thumbnails
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-images.jpeg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-2560_3000.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-2019renaultcliorevealexterior03.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-190117_fiat_tipo_sport_01.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-fiesta_st_050.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-fordmondeo_vignaleeu3_mon_40281_l_4221216x92160x1215.jpg.renditions.extrasmall.jpeg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-renaultkadjar04.jpg  

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-mark_savage.jpg  

Old 10th November 2019, 13:35   #125
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Renault Megane
BMW M420d
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 13:45   #126
BHPian

Honda Pilot

Honda HRV

Honda Accord

Toyota Supra

Tesla All models

BMW i3
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 16:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

A lot of excellent options suited for the Indian market are not available -

Ford: Escape, Edge & Explorer
KIA [will be launched soon hopefully]: Carnvial, Picanto, Rio & Cerato
Peugeot: 2008, 3008 & 508
Mazda: the entire line up!
Old 10th November 2019, 17:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

Foton CS2 van (powered by Cummins 2.8) to replace my 2016 storme vericor400 (2.25L km).

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-fotonvanspecsbrochure.png

Name a car which you want to be sold in India-mpx3.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CS2-Brochure.pdf (969.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: pdf VIEW-CS2.pdf (1.11 MB, 122 views)
File Type: pdf Price-List-Foton-View-CS2-WV-With-STT_Nov-2018.pdf (836.7 KB, 1051 views)

Last edited by jeepster : 10th November 2019 at 17:06.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 17:34   #129
Senior - BHPian

I like cars in the hatchback form because of the flexibility they offer. I like them to have good on-road manners but also some offroad capability. This leads to a rare category of crossovers. Volvo V90 Cross Country is a great example but way too expensive. I would like see the following cars on Indian roads:
Subaru Outback (Current generation Forster has gotten little tall and hence the Outback)
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-20myobkonyx1_750xx623635080181.jpg

Octavia Scout
Name a car which you want to be sold in India-skoda_octavia_scout_04_copy.jpg
Old 11th March 2020, 09:47   #130
BHPian

International Cars which make sense to be in India!

Recently i saw the spy pictures of Ford Bronco, an upcoming rugged SUV by Ford that will be officially revealed in April 2020. Couple of years ago Ford was contemplating launching Ford 'Ranger' in the US market. The Ranger is a mid-sized pick-up that is available in Australia and some other markets globally but Ford wasn't selling them in US as the US market was more about the Raptors and the F-150s etc which are full-sized pick-ups.

I have always been a fan of the Raptor but knew well that the likes of a full-size pick-up truck wouldn't find many takers in India, it doesn't make business sense. But when i came across the buzz around the Ranger, i thought it would be the perfect vehicle (if only a halo model) for the Indian market. I felt it even more so because around that time the Isuzu pick-up truck was getting good response in our markets. In fact i went a little overboard by almost stalking the Twitter handles of Ford and Ford India & insisting that they seriously launch this. I did get a timid response saying that we continue to evaluate market conditions and launch vehicles...blah blah...

Now once again seeing the Bronco spy pics, i feel it can be a very able competitor to anything from a Compass to a Wrangler to the soon-to-be-launched Defender.

And that thought brings me to this topic, which International cars make sense to be launched here in India? It would be interesting to know what fellow BHPians think and list here.

Here is a small list of mine:

Ford Ranger
Ford Bronco
Toyota Tacoma
VW Arteon
VW Atlas or VW Atlas Cross Sport
Kia Stinger
Honda Passport or Honda Pilot or both

The entire Mazda brand in itself

Luxury: Alfa Romeo Stelvio and Alfa Romeo Giulia

There is no particular reason why I selected all of the above, some may make business sense, some are purely to satisfy the petrol head in us. But I do strongly believe that if brands like Mitsubishi, Datsun and Nissan are trying, there is no harm in at least giving it a shot and launching some of these international cars here in India.

Please do provide your list and bonus points if you can justify the reason why you think that car or brand should be in the Indian market.

Last edited by Ashwin Morey : 11th March 2020 at 09:57.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 09:53   #131
Senior - BHPian

Re: International Cars which make sense to be in India!

I would say that a lot of the hot hatches (or even warm hatches) will make sense in India. Were it not for the absolutely ridiculous 4 meter rule, which is now antiquated, there would be quality hatchbacks which can be sold in India. The Ford Fiesta, new Polo, Renault Clio etc and a host of other hatchback in that general category can be easily sold here. The Indian market is now relatively more open to expensive products and these cars should certainly see the light of day in the Indian market.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

1. Entire Cadillac range - Especially the XT4, XT5 & XT6. These luxury SUVs are right up there in style, comfort and premium-ness.

2. Ford - Escape and Edge. Really competent SUVs suited for the Indian market. But I think both may not sell in huge numbers due to their relatively small footprint as compared to a Fortuner or Endeavour.

3. Honda - the HRV can make a good case for itself.

4. Hyundai - Veloster. Maybe CBU. Nothing like this exists in our market right now.

5. Kia - Most of their cars suit the Indian market. My choice would be the Picanto, Rio Pegas, Cerato and Sportage.

6. Mazda - Some of the most underrated cars right now. Bring on the Mazda 2, 3, CX-3 & CX-5!

7. Peugeot - Now that I have owned one, I can confidently say how good it is! Peugeot should step foot in Indian soil with the 208, 308, 508, 2008 & 3008.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:38   #133
BHPian

Great thread! In my opinion, a compact car (sedan/hatch/crossover) with a full hybrid powertrain (not the useless SHVS) is the need of the hour for our country. With diesels getting phased out and our traffic getting worse, a hybrid with 20kmpl+ city mileage priced under 15 lakhs will be a huge hit here.

A few cars I can think of are, Suzuki Swift Hybrid, Toyota Yaris Hatchback hybrid etc.

Last edited by nagr22 : 11th March 2020 at 10:41. Reason: Added car models
Old 11th March 2020, 10:46   #134
BHPian

I would like to see brands that take up the fight to relatively established brands who seem to be happy selling subpar products in India without suffering any sales consequence.

1. Entire Mazda portfolio (in complete agreement with @Aswin Morey's post): They have fun to drive products with relatively high quality and reliability ratings with a wide range of products. Mazda can take up the fight to Maruti-Suzuki.

2. Subaru: Offering a wide range of sedans and wagons with standard AWD and extremely reliable boxer engines - can take up the fight to Honda, VW, Skoda etc.

3. Ford (Europe) or Honda (JDM or NA) products in the minivan/MUV segment that can make Toyota fly straight and get them to take up Indian market more seriously, especially with respect to Innova (no offense to Innova owners). Ford also has products that can compete with the relatively subpar offerings from Force Motors in the large people mover segment.

Last edited by jfk1975 : 11th March 2020 at 10:52.
jfk1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:36   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

2. Ford - Escape and Edge. Really competent SUVs suited for the Indian market. But I think both may not sell in huge numbers due to their relatively small footprint as compared to a Fortuner or Endeavour.
I would have included Escape & Edge but the upcoming partnership between Mahindra means that Ford & Mahindra would have eaten into each other's portfolio rather than challenging the competition.

I would have also included Ford Flex here. I have personally experienced it in US & Dubai and I think it would have been a good competitor to Ertiga, Marazzo etc... It wasn't a mini-van but rather a boxy SUV but nevertheless very good. Unfortunately Ford has discontinued it now.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed