Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 10:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Women drivers to be exempt from odd-even scheme

According to a media report, women drivers will be exempted from the odd-even scheme that is set to be launched in Delhi from November 4, 2019.

Delhi: Women drivers to be exempt from odd-even scheme-oddeven.jpg

The report suggests that women driving alone, cars with all women occupants and women accompanied by children aged less than 12 years will be exempted from the scheme.

When the odd-even scheme was implemented in the national capital last time around, CNG vehicles were also exempted. However, this time, this seems unlikely. Besides, the government is yet to take decision on whether to exempt 2-wheelers from the odd-even scheme as well.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Women drivers to be exempt from odd-even scheme

This could be the best ever excuse for husbands who don't want to drop their children to school

Frankly though, if public transport was any good, no one would even buy a car! Don't see the point of being able to use my car on only 50% of the days when I paid 100% of the road tax.
giri1.8 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Try doing that outside of India and get slapped with a billion dollar gender discrimination lawsuit. In our country, women do not pollute. What a joke.
rovingeye is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 11:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well I am in for anything that reduces the congestion on our crappy roads, work commute is the biggest subtle PITA that sucks the life out of you ...

However, this whole odd-even move by Delhi Govt is mostly a gimmick, otherwise it should continue for longer duration. And the decision to exclude CNG or Women or some other criteria just hints at the expected appeasement.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:22   #5
BHPian

What a load of garbage! What does gender have to do with pollution or saving the environment? The same car would output the same amount of pollution regardless of whether it is being driven by a man or woman.
Laws need to be made for everyone. I sincerely hope that this is rolled back, as it taking steps backwards instead of forwards.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Psychologically, I also find myself revolting against this bias towards Women drivers, given gender equality etc. etc. However, when I force myself to think about this a bit more, I find women still need that little bit more flexibility and leeway, because the world can turn very quickly unkind towards them given a vulnerability.

That said, I find this whole Odd-Even scheme bat-shit crazy, because it does nothing to stop the real polluters.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2019 at 09:53. Reason: reverting to original :)
roy_libran is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:34   #7
BHPian

This is an extremely regressive step. Gender discrimination of any form should never be encouraged, and the government is setting a very bad example by doing just that. No one checks the gender of the taxpayer while collecting road tax. All human beings pay the same amount of taxes for their vehicles, so they have the equal right to drive on our roads. If there's a law/rule preventing them from doing so, it should be a blanket rule that doesn't take the gender of the person into consideration.
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Last time when the scheme got implemented I had two cars, one ending with XX46, other with XX69.

I still have two cars but in bid to have similar no on my cars now both have reg. nos ending with 69.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:18   #9
BHPian

What a joke , this has to be the most hilarious scheme of the year. A lot of fun can come out of it further, to begin with how about Men dressed as women driving the car to reach their work place, keep a hair wig and saree handy, can be a life saver.

A man can also lay on the back seat , concealed with cloth while the wife / gf/ sister/ mother drives the car and drops him to the location.
NST440 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:25   #10
BHPian

i remember reading somewhere that they have exempted women drivers from this because they don’t want to hamper their safety. Commuting by their own cars allows a safe mode of transport. On the other hand, two wheelers have been given exemption because there are about 70 lakh two wheelers on Delhi roads. Imagine what a massive load will this be on our already crippled public transport if all these people suddenly start using it.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:59   #11
A M
BHPian

Quote:
i remember reading somewhere that they have exempted women drivers from this because they don’t want to hamper their safety. Commuting by their own cars allows a safe mode of transport. On the other hand, two wheelers have been given exemption because there are about 70 lakh two wheelers on Delhi roads. Imagine what a massive load will this be on our already crippled public transport if all these people suddenly start using it.

And this is precisely the reason why public transport infrastructure needs to be improved and strengthened before bringing any such stupid odd-even rules.

It is good that the government recognizes that there is a problem with public transport but why are there no policy changes to improve the conditions so as to make it safer to travel around? And why is only one strata of the society being burdened with the inconvenience?
A M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:20   #12
J4J
BHPian

The odd even scheme was introduced first in 2016.
At that point of time. if I remember correctly, it was mentioned that public transport would be improved for future odd even iterations.

Now: 3 years later. Things remain the same. Last mile connectivity is still a problem for many areas in and around Delhi. The ride on the public transport is not peaceful either. If public infra couldn't be improved in these 3 years, are citizens to be blamed? The pollution levels rose drastically in last 48 hours (i.e.. weekends when very less vehicles are on the road).

We are ready to give up our comfort and convenience to fight pollution but the responsibility shouldn't solely lie on the people of Delhi who own cars. Its everyone's collective effort.

End result is that majority of the people I know who travel daily in their personal cars have 2 cars now. They are prepared for this. I don't think this will be of any help this year.
J4J is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:41   #13
BHPian

Yes of course because when women drive cars, the NO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions magically become zero by some sort of wizard power, I guess.

The soot from diesel cars automatically gets turned into elixir before it comes out of the tailpipes.

Last edited by SaiSW : 14th October 2019 at 16:42.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
End result is that majority of the people I know who travel daily in their personal cars have 2 cars now. They are prepared for this. I don't think this will be of any help this year.
Chech out our own poll:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...your-home.html

About 2/3 of the members participating in this poll have two cars or more.
That also means 1/3 have one, or less. This is a car forum, so I would expect the numbers somewhat skewered toward having multiple cars over one car, and one car over no cars.

So there are probably still a lot of folks out there who only have one car.

On the other hand, when they introduced this in 2016 we were still living in Delhi. I did not experience a noticeable difference in traffic on the roads in these odd/even weeks, even then.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Statistically men are much more likely to be victims of crime then women. Although media may want you to believe otherwise. So safety of men does not matter ?
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks