Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 12:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

I believe i had mentioned this even before....
In Hyderabad, the police tried to bring about lane discipline throught the use of those conical plastic markers. Needless to say, they lay strewn on the roads, as people went about playing the lane-changing game with full aplomb.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
I remember this used to be there on Mount Road in Chennai long back.
It's still there on the Mount Road from Gemini towards LIC. And starting last week they have started implementing it on the other half of Mount Road - Gemini to Nandanam.
Old 20th February 2007, 14:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It's still there on the Mount Road from Gemini towards LIC. And starting last week they have started implementing it on the other half of Mount Road - Gemini to Nandanam.
Yeah, this stretch was implemented in 1991 & i got fined on the very first week when i jumped lanes. I had to empty my lean purse of all its contents. Still hurts. I have found it very useful & convenient.
Old 20th February 2007, 14:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if you guys have heard about it or not, but there is lot of debate going around in Pune about B.R.T. (Bus Rapid Transport). It has designated "buses only" lanes on main roads.

There has been heated debate going on in favour of and against B.R.T. since last few months. So much that the recent municipal corporation election were fought on this topic.
Old 20th February 2007, 14:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

If they dont do it right (I am sure they cant), we will have buses sweeping across the road from right to left (or left to right) during turns. There is no enforcement and thats the problem. But then, we are all problematic and somewhere we need to start.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc

Source: Jayanagar to get dedicated cycle lanes
Quote:
If everything goes according to plan, Jayanagar will have dedicated bicycle lanes in about three months time.

The Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) on Wednesday commissioned the Rs 2.59-crore pilot project, in collaboration with the Department of Urban Land Transport (DULT).

The project, which aims to cover 56 junctions-- six signalled and 50 non-signalled-- will be thrown open for the public in three months. Adequate signages will be provided to help people pedal their way along the nearly 40-km stretch of roads across Jayanagar. Even the bylanes shall come under the project’s ambit.

The eco-friendly project, proposed by DULT and implemented by BBMP, is expected to be a major relief for Bangaloreans, as the City has lost its cycling space to rapid and unplanned development.

In addition to creating the bicycle lanes, the contractors, who have bagged the project, will have to provide sufficient parking space for cycles and put up signages at every junction.

Educational hub
According to BBMP and DULT, Jayanagar has been chosen for the pilot project as it hosts nearly 100 educational institutions and a sizeable population of the elderly people.

As cycles continue to be the most preferred mode of transportation among school and college students, Jayanagar was chosen for the pilot project, the sources in BBMP said.

The cycle lane will extend from Kanakanapalya Road to Marenahalli Road (South End) and Kanakapura Road to Bannerghatta Road.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:30   #22
BHPian

Re: Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc

I think more important than dedicated bus lanes, are to have a dedicated bus bay at each bus stop, so the buses won't have to stop in the middle of the road and block traffic.

A dedicated bus (auto, taxi, etc) lane will be underutilized and therefore inefficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks