Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2007, 02:10   #1

Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc

Hey guys,
While driving in Bangalore, i noticed recently that quite a few big roads have got an auto lane demarked with a yellow line... its a boon to the car drivers such as myself. Even though few of those guys dont go in the auto lane-most of them do! its just much better driving in those roads without them squirming in between any place they find..
So i was just wondering would the situation become any better if the auto lane was expanded a little and buses were forced in them too....how about making a seperate(narrow) lane for the bike guys also... i mean still the cars would have half the road and driving will become way better than what it is..
Because frankly when bikes and autos show their stunts(such as overtake from my right real fast when im at a standstill about to take a right turn with my indicator on, or when they find little space and rush into that and make me forcibly stop to protect his and my vehicle)...at these times i wished i had a tata sumo and lived in a country where it was legal to run over ppl like these!!

Anyway do u think the above situation would make things better, not that i can put it into effect but just a wondering.....
Old 17th February 2007, 02:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes. KG Road has separate auto lanes. I think they are planning to implement something like this for busses on the outer ring road. Let us see how things go.

As you said, these things work out well most of the time. But there are certain problems too. As you have now seen, auto lane is the right most lane. If an auto wants to turn left, then there can be some issues. But if you look at it as a whole, it is a good idea to have lanes like this.

I remember this used to be there on Mount Road in Chennai long back. While riding a bike there on a lane meant for cars, I was caught by a cop. But he was corteous enough to let me know that I should follow lane discipline and he just let me off. That was a good lesson learnt for me.
Old 17th February 2007, 03:01   #3
BHPian

But here we have so many left and right turns even for major roads, it might not be useful always. However if they create lanes for auto ricks and buses, i suggest to add cabs too in that list.
Old 17th February 2007, 03:52   #4
BHPian

Actually there was a rule some time back where they had made Bus lane near Trident Hyundai showroom, the buses had to stick to that lane.
Seriously it was a boon as well as a life Hazard.
Since the road by itself was not very large to have a sub-lane, the place for the buses was too less, so the cones which were nailed to the road, bent outwards by being hit by the sides of the buses, causing danger to other drivers.
But for others, since the buses were not occupying most part of the road, it was a little better to drive.
But it failed miserably as the Bus drivers just could not stick to the lane.
Hope they figure out some way to make tings better.
Old 17th February 2007, 07:32   #5
BHPian

I guess they are copying the London Model, where you have a separate lane for the Buses and they ply only between these lines, but for overtaking. Their speed is also restricted to slightly more than a crawl.

But do we have wider roads to accomodate such traffic ? maybe this can be implemented on sections whereever possible
Old 17th February 2007, 08:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... if the auto lane was expanded a little and buses were forced in them too....how about making a seperate(narrow) lane for the bike guys also... i mean still the cars would have half the road and driving will become way better than what it is..
Not quite half, but more like the cars will be squeezed into the one lane [or less] that's left, after giving space for all these vehicles ...
Old 17th February 2007, 10:24   #7
BHPian

Its a good idea but then as Shyam pointed out, there are so many exits and entries into the roads that the purpose is defeated. It could work well on the ring roads but on a road like MG Road, which is not so broad to accomodate dedicated lane traffic, I am not too sure how effective or efficient it could be... especially at the junctions.
Old 17th February 2007, 12:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Delhi has separate bus lanes, but these are obeyed only when there is risk of cops around.
Old 17th February 2007, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

this idea is implemented in London. If you travel along the red color painted road meant for bus and if your are caught, you pay 80GBP

and you have tracks/traffic lights for bicycle in Germany.

Last edited by jkdas : 17th February 2007 at 12:52.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

THE BRTS is implemented in PUNE already and the lanes are dedicated only for the PMT buses,But ask any of the pune guys and they will tell you this idea has only ended up spoiling the better roads of Pune.
Old 20th February 2007, 06:13   #11
BANNED

These kinds of new traffic legislations/rules are not going to work in the chaotic hurry-scurry Bangalore tarffic. And Bangalore is one of worst cities in India for driving and the road manners doesn't go along with it's IT image that it has created in India/abroad.
Old 20th February 2007, 06:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
These kinds of new traffic legislations/rules are not going to work in the chaotic hurry-scurry Bangalore tarffic. And Bangalore is one of worst cities in India for driving and the road manners doesn't go along with it's IT image that it has created in India/abroad.
I am with mithun here, just tell your client or colleagues here, your from Bangalore, and they all go gaga..oh your from Bangalore, oh this oh that!!!
Old 20th February 2007, 08:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
But here we have so many left and right turns even for major roads, it might not be useful always. However if they create lanes for auto ricks and buses, i suggest to add cabs too in that list.
I heard 800+ vehicles getting registered in Bangalore daily ( All city RTO offices put together) . Where do they go?.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:24   #14

Recently Delhi high court instructed to enforce lane-driving in Delhi. As expected, nothing has changed.

Problem is, these can not be enforced. You cannot have cops at every 10 meters to enforce traffic rules. Its more abt responsibility of the drivers. If you are responsible you'll drive sensibly even if there are no markers on the road or cops around.

I advocate severe penalties to inject sense in drivers (specially autos, private buses, cabs drivers).
Old 20th February 2007, 11:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

carjinx,

Thats exactly the advantages in maintaining a lane system as in other countries- the difference here being the lanes will have to be physically demarkated thru barriers; nothing works in India without force.

The need exists more so here idiosyncrously with the policing system lacking the will to do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks