Team-BHP - Cars being easily stolen shortly after Authorised Service Centre visit
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars being easily stolen shortly after Authorised Service Centre visit (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/214162-cars-being-easily-stolen-shortly-after-authorised-service-centre-visit.html)

Thanks to Archit Gupta for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:

My 2014 model Elite i20 Asta Diesel went for servicing at Hemkund Hyundai, Wazirpur, Delhi for accidental body shop repair work on 9th September 2019. It was stolen in the early hours of 4th October. The thieves hardly took 4 minutes. This is not possible unless a duplicate key was made at the service station.

Also, what's very strange is that the first thing BOTH the police while lodging FIR and the insurance investigator during survey asked was whether the car was serviced in the last month?

When I answered yes, their reply was – Sir, wahi kaam hua hai iska. (It was done there only).

Now the question is - when it is a well-known practice, why isn’t anything done to nab the mechanics helping such thieves?

Also, in a recent case, my friend's i20 Petrol Asta (7-8 months old) was also stolen within a week of its visit at the service station.

Another friend's Black Jeep Compass was also stolen on the same day of being serviced.

Through the esteemed forum, I’d like to know if there are more people whose cars were stolen within a month of their visit to the service station.
Archit also mentioned that when service bookings are made via the pick-up and drop facility, the location of the home / office where the car is parked is noted. And while returning the car back, a stop is made at the local key maker. This was told to him by the policemen and the insurance people.

It also seems to be a demand-based thing as top variants are being targeted.

Archit has also shared the CCTV footage of the theft. As you can see, it doesn't take long for the thieves to get into the car and drive off:
https://youtu.be/X0zIyMOBqEk

Thanks for sharing this. I observed something last time when our Hyundai i20 was sent for servicing at Safdarjang Hyundai in Gurgaon. We availed the pick up and drop facility and the person that came pick up the car was not from Hyundai. After I made a few calls to the front desk at Safdarjang, they informed me that they had "outsourced" the pick up and drop facility to a 3rd party (I forget the name of the company).

Come to the think of it, this 3rd party folks can easily get a duplicate car key made on the way to the workshop. Maybe its not the mechanic at the workshop thats making duplicates. I doubt I'll take the pick and drop facility again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan85 (Post 4675621)
Come to the think of it, this 3rd party folks can easily get a duplicate car key made on the way to the workshop. Maybe its not the mechanic at the workshop thats making duplicates. I doubt I'll take the pick and drop facility again.

Archit Gupta wants to share this:
Quote:

21 North is the name of the company to whom many A.S.S have outsourced for the pick-up and drop.

I never use the pick-up and drop service for my car. Also I have a gear lock installed which is always open when handing over the car to the service station - so they cannot make a duplicate key of that while the car is with them. I always use the gear lock even when stepping out of the car for a few minutes.

If they had a duplicate key, why would they bother breaking into the rear left first?

Why did the thief enter via rear door if he had the keys with him?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykk (Post 4675671)
If they had a duplicate key, why would they bother breaking into the rear left first?

Maybe a part of the act. If they came and directly opened the driver side and drove off, it will confirm that they had a duplicate key and then they might not be able to continue the practice for long. Maybe some long term thinking by people who are doing it.

I might be wrong here as well. Just sharing my 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4675656)
Archit Gupta wants to share this:

Yup, its 21 North. I just checked the slip the pick up guy gave me. We typically never use the pick up and drop - just this time we did given the i20 is oldish now and we are OK with giving it an unknown driver to take to the workshop.

This news needs to get out more. People should be aware of such a thing going around even if it's restricted to NCR at the moment.

I am puzzled at this "duplicate key" business: my 9-year-old Fiat Punto came with keys that emit a wireless code that has to be recognised by the ignition system. (Here's a description). If I want another key, I have to contact Fiat with a code card that was given to me with the car. Copying the key at a local shop won't work. I had understood that this was fairly standard these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykk (Post 4675671)

Probably to disable the beep sound which Hyundai vehicles have for locking/unlocking. Not sure of the sensor for this would be to the left rear or not, but my 2 cents to it

Isn't this the reason why immobilizers are in place? Duplicate keys may be used to unlock the car but you cannot start the car with them right?

So are they starting the cars Bollywood style (joining wires under the steering wheel)?

Also, the ASTA variant has an alarm system. Why didn't it go off when the rear door was opened?

This is possible only when they create a duplicate key and clone the immobilizer. All the cars mentioned in the OP have keyless entry and does this add to the disadvantages of having a keyless entry car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsidd (Post 4675681)
I am puzzled at this "duplicate key" business: my 9-year-old Fiat Punto came with keys that emit a wireless code that has to be recognised by the ignition system.

I had a Punto too and I'm sorry to disappoint you but it's fairly easy to make a duplicate key nowadays. And all they need to do is bypass the immobilizer. There are videos on YouTube that teach you how to do that! :Frustrati

Immobilizer equipped cars can be accessed with a duplicate key, but not started until the key is paired to the immobilizer module.

High-tech thieves, or A.S.S. involved?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4675610)
It also seems to be a demand-based thing as top variants are being targeted.

Remember seeing this on an episode of Capital Police broadcast on a popular network.
The Delhi police mentioned that high end cars are stolen and sold in remote places in the north as brand new.
They also mentioned this to be a demand supply cycle.