Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 14:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

RTO transfer problem - Chassis number has faded

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a Polo 1.6 2011 after selling my City CVT because of the dilemma I faced during the ownership. (documented in link below)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...ore-years.html (Bored of my Honda City CVT. Sell or keep for a few more years?)

I have been trying to get the car transferred but different RTO agents have been giving me the same reason for rejecting my application - Incomplete Chassis Print.

The car has aged as expected but the Chassis Number in the bonnet has rubbed off due to wear and tear. Find pic attached below.

Any idea on how to manage this situation. Its been more than 30 days since I have the car and the transfer process is still to be initiated. I am someone who had bought 7 used cars, but this problem is unique!

Thanks in advance guys!
Attached Thumbnails
RTO transfer problem - Chassis number has faded-rc.jpg  

2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 14:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: RTO transfer problem - Chassis number has faded

That may not be the only place that the chassis number is mentioned. Check the B-pillar also. There may be one stamping on the chassis itself. Your SA can help you with the locations where the chassis number will be available.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I too had the same problem - albeit that the chassis number (which is stamped under the driver's seat is corroded). Mine is a Palio. What I was told to get the number stamped once again using the RC book as a reference. Yet to find someone who can do this.

So what Condor says is right - you can find out where else the chassis number is stamped on the body of the vehicle.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:08   #4
BHPian

Find a local workshop who has number/letter dies and punches. On a metal log, stamp chassis number, take the print on paper and use it for ownership transfer.
StepUP! is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any idea on how to manage this situation. Its been more than 30 days since I have the car and the transfer process is still to be initiated. I am someone who had bought 7 used cars, but this problem is unique!
I know its afterthought - but you should first have checked VIN against RC before finalizing the deal. Its a good practice to ensure you aren't getting a car with shady history.

Nevertheless - this picture you posted, is from which part of the car? Generally cars have VIN at 2-3 places like Condor mentioned.
  1. A visual glass window under the front windshield on LHS. Near the bonnet edge. This is quite unique on VW cars.
  2. On the B pillar on LHS or RHS.
  3. On a black/yellow identification plate rivetted either on the engine bay firewall near the suspension housing OR on the B pillar on LHS/RHS.
  4. Under the carpet at the bottom of the driver/passenger front seats. Stamped into the floor pan.

Have a look at all these places. Hopefully one of these will have it. I'm a bit surprised that your RTO agents didn't know the other places to look at...Unless of course you have checked all these already and didn't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Find a local workshop who has number/letter dies and punches. On a metal log, stamp chassis number, take the print on paper and use it for ownership transfer.
And do the same again when he wishes to sell/exchange the car later? In the long term its better to do it the right & legal way. Best to find it elsewhere in the car first. Using a stamp not from the car is theoretically illegal .

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th October 2019 at 15:19.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

The VIN Number was checked before purchase. I had checked the Metal plate riveted near passenger side

You are correct. The number is available in multiple locations. The number is available under the windshield, as well as on the B pillar on Passenger side (in addition to the the under bonnet, picture attached). However none of them are embossed for a Pencil Paper print (which the RTO requires). The windshield one is not easily accessible, the Metal plate is not embossed.

Would a picture of the same work in RTOs?

Last edited by 2000rpm : 17th October 2019 at 15:26.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The VIN Number was checked before purchase. It was available in multiple locations. I had checked the Metal plate riveted.
Its available under the windshield, as well as on the B pillar on Passenger side. However none of them are embossed for a Pencil Paper print (which the RTO requires). The windshield one is not easily accessible, the Metal plate is not embossed.
Ah! Okay so the number is verifiable elsewhere. Then my bad. I misunderstood. I think then the best bet is indeed what StepUp has suggested. (Although most riveted plates have engraved VIN. It should be pick-able with a light handed pencil. If its printed and not engraved, then no cookie.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th October 2019 at 15:27.
Old 17th October 2019, 16:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a Polo 1.6 2011 after selling my City CVT because of the dilemma I faced during the ownership. (documented in link below)
!
Is there a tape on top of the chassis number. I fail to see why it should wear out. Try using a mild abrasive like toothpaste on those numbers
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: RTO transfer problem - Chassis number has faded

It looks like there is tape over the number and hard water has gotten under it and dried filling up the depression with residue. Can you confirm if this is the case ? You can try removing the tape and cleaning the salts with vinegar to make it more visible.
If you get a rough outline then get a small pointed punch from the hardware store and use it to enhance the numbers in order to get a good rubbing.
We had similar pains getting an etching to transfer a 2nd hand Activa we bought last year
Old 18th October 2019, 20:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You can make an affidavit solemnly affirming and stating the actual chassis number on a Rs 100=00 stamp paper. Reason for making the affidavit can be cited as the real fact that the engraving on the designated place as done by the manufacturer has become only partly legible, so this affidavit.

This can be notarised by a Notary and attested with his signature and rubber stamp. Submission of the affidavit I feel, should resolve the issue.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 22:14   #11
BHPian

Your problem is quite common and easy to fix via Jugaad. Find a local garage that can stamp the said number on a small plate and the get the required pencil stamp using the same. This is the common method to fix this issue and most RTO agents get this done. Your agent might ask for few more bucks to do this but you can have it done by yourself too.

BTW, keep multiple copies with you ( and the plate if you opt for this fix) for future use. No need for any affidavit or anything as such.

Last edited by sunilch : 18th October 2019 at 22:16.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 23:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go to the RTO office and meet RTO Commissioner or his deputy.

Tell him, your problem and he will resolve it. RTO Officers are more than willing to help out citizens on genuine issues.

Do take all relevant papers before visiting.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:22   #13
BHPian

Buy this and punch it yourself

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B018WMBYH0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_f9NSDb016NQFN

Last edited by motionfreak : 25th October 2019 at 10:23.
motionfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 17:06   #14
BHPian

Punching chassis number again will never work as the chassis number pencil print on form 28 is compared to what was submitted during registration. If you reprint and it catches eyes of the RTO, then they have all the right to impose a fraud case against the owner on grounds of tampering with the chassis number.

Taking print from plate is not allowed by RTO. One chassis has just one chassis number from which pencil print can be taken. On all other places, the number is either on a plate or on a sticker.

Learnt all these during the past 3 months while trying to sell my car with corroded chassis number. Met several officials including MLO, agents etc.

Have recently faced a very tough time with all of this. Will be creating a post shortly describing what all needs to be done for such cases. Please bear with me till then.
aarvee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 22:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvee View Post
Punching chassis number again will never work as the chassis number pencil print on form 28 is compared to what was submitted during registration. If you reprint and it catches eyes of the RTO, then they have all the right to impose a fraud case against the owner on grounds of tampering with the chassis number.
First hand experience here. I bought a used bullet and used it for 12 years. I took it for re-registration and the MVI on the first glance told me that the engine number is re punched and that I cannot re -register it. Initially I thought it was a a game for the MVI to grease his hand, but then on closer inspection, it started dawning on me that he was true . 12 years on this bike and more than a lakh km later, I realized that now. I had no contacts of the guy who sold it to me. (12 years is a long time). And to make matters worse, I had to do the re-registration at a place that was more than 200 kms from where I stay now. My efforts to get this cleared would need a new thread. To summarize, it required a workshop certificate, a notary affidavit, grievance letter, and about 10 plus visits to the RTO to get things sorted out.

In short, Make sure you visit the RTO , hand over a letter mentioning the reason why you have to get it re punched, ( and probably a letter from the service centre mentioning the same) and then proceed to do it. You have to take approval first before making change to the chassis/engine number. And all this would have to be done by the guy who sold it to you ( the letter should come from him). Or you have to do the running around on his behalf.

BTW, This is from KERALA. I am not sure what are the proceedings at your place.
nettooran is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks