Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2019, 11:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Onboard Speed Limiter - Why don't cars in India have these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Then there are speed limit signs that read 30kmph - it would create a traffic jam in some roads if cars auto-limit their speeds to this!
This is very much the truth, Kathipara flyover has a speed limit sign of 20Km/hr if I saw it right. Below is the image of the bridge.

While going downwards, even an bicycle would struggle to stay below 20km/hr.

Last edited by navin : 19th October 2019 at 11:37. Reason: typo
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 12:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
That's a factory-set high speed limit/engine rev limiter. Most cars have that. The Vista is set at 165 kmph.
Actually not the rev limiter. BR-V and Honda city share the same engine gearbox combo but BR-V is limited to 140 but city can do 195. And it's not to save parts from wear and tear like on German supercars. Perhaps it's to position the car in a particular segment?
Old 19th October 2019, 16:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Here in the UK, Cruise Control and Speed Limiter are both offered on higher end variants. Lower end variants come with only Speed Limiters.

Having used the Speed Limiter so extensively, I started wondering why this feature is not very popular in India. What do you think?
Many of the features of a car sold in a particular country are dependent on government rules and regulations, whether current or proposed. India thought of having beeping speed minders at set speeds, but not speed limiters - hence the speed limiter feature does not appear in most Indian cars. But the beeping feature was already present in many cars well before the deadline, and all cars by now.

OTOH, the UK has already notified the need for all new cars sold there to have speed limiters from 2022, but since it is an easy feature to install, the manufacturers went ahead and started giving the feature already.

Another example: Australia mandates that all cars sold there from 2010 will have rollover protection systems. So even the plebeian Suzuki Celerio sold there has rollover protection - unimaginable in India, where it is produced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I think even SS Traveller's Ciaz has the speed limiter option. Speed limiter is more common than we think especially in newer vehicles. So this tech already exists in India.
No, my Ciaz only has conventional cruise control, and that beeping reminder for 80/120 kmph. No speed limiter there, except for my right foot!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th October 2019 at 16:57.
Old 20th October 2019, 17:01   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Onboard Speed Limiter - Why don't cars in India have these?

Some cars have the speed limiter in India. My 530d does too, but I have rarely used the feature. If you press "LIM" at say, 80 kmph, it won't go above 80 kmph on part throttle; only if you bury the pedal in all the way will it exceed the 80 kmph limit:

LIM is the first button on the left:
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 17:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Onboard Speed Limiter - Why don't cars in India have these?

Looks like the Compass Trailhawk has the speed limiter.

Have not tried it as yet but have tried to activate.The speed set to gets displayed on the MID.

Will surely try it out the next time I am on the highway.

Onboard Speed Limiter - Why don't cars in India have these?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1571572974.440126.jpg

Image courtesy Google.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th October 2019 at 17:35.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 20:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

All yellow board vehicles in India - at least, in several Indian states eg Maharashtra - are obliged by law to have their speed limit restricted to 80 kmph. There are even more severe limits set on school buses.

So, when you rent an Avis / Zoomcar in Mumbai to drive to Shirdi, all those lovely winding roads are done on an Innova that tops out at 80 kmph and it makes you want to tear your hair out.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:10   #22
BHPian

The facelifted EcoSport has speed limiter. I haven't felt the need to use it in mad Mumbai's traffic.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:32   #23
BHPian

Does Nexon have a speed limiter? My July manufactured XZ+ has single beep function at 80 kmph and rapid beeps after 120 kmph. However I experienced a dampened throttle response beyond 90 kmph, and you really have to floor the gas pedal to increase speed. Is it just me or it is for real? May be I missed, but never saw anything on print about this feature in Nexon.
Old 26th October 2019, 16:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This is very much the truth, Kathipara flyover has a speed limit sign of 20Km/hr if I saw it right. Below is the image of the bridge.

While going downwards, even an bicycle would struggle to stay below 20km/hr.
It is not the citizens responsibility to not create a jam. While it is the citizens responsibility to follow rules and abide by the law. If everyone followed the rule and stuck to 20kmph on that flyover and it indeed created a loooonnng jam for 2 days then traffic commissioners and DCP s who are responsible for free flow of traffic would sit and decide if the speed limit of 20kmph is practical and will revise it if necessary. The rules now are such that following them might feel absurd but if the police decide to fulfill a deficit of INR 80 lakhs traffic revenue they can do it in a couple of hours. Govt can choose to fill it's coffers a bit if the balance is going quite low.

Who decides what is the right speed on that stretch? The guy in BMW thinks 80kmph is acceptable. The guy in a Hyundai i10 thinks 50kmph is fine. If police indeed decide to stop you and fine for exceeding the speed limit your argument "Sir, i was doing some social service by trying to avoid creating a traffic jam" will not stand. Or your argument that "I do minimum 40kmph on this stretch everyday, you never fined me. Why are you fining me today?" also will not stand.

Law enforcement must get regular & punctual and nearly all violations have to be fined for the rules to be followed and silly rules / limits to be revised. If you decide to make your own rules at your own whims and fancies then the government also reserves the right to fine you at their own whims and fancies.

I have seen cars in Hyderabad getting fined for doing 61kmph, 63kmph on Jubilee Hills, KBR Park stretch on a 60kmph road. Would you call it absurd? I think a rule is a rule, and has to be followed or violate and pay the fine else challenge it in a court of law and get it revised if you think sticking to the limit is absurd.

Last edited by bharatbits : 26th October 2019 at 16:44.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 21:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Does Nexon have a speed limiter? My July manufactured XZ+ has single beep function at 80 kmph and rapid beeps after 120 kmph. However I experienced a dampened throttle response beyond 90 kmph, and you really have to floor the gas pedal to increase speed. Is it just me or it is for real? May be I missed, but never saw anything on print about this feature in Nexon.
I have a diesel 2018 june Nexon. In sport mode it just pulls like a train all the way to really silly speeds. The eco mode is really bad. And city mode just about acceptable.. was your car in sport mode ?
Old 30th October 2019, 09:49   #26
BHPian

I started a similar thread few days back after speeding cameras were installed in Delhi. Here is the link to my concern: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ggestions.html (Electronic speed limiter? Need suggestions)
Old 30th October 2019, 11:22   #27

The speed limiter function is also available in my 2019 Ford Endeavour and it works exactly as GTO mentioned in his post.

Onboard Speed Limiter - Why don't cars in India have these?-img_6230.jpg

As far as 'maximum speed limit' is concerned, the SatNav on the Endeavour has pre-loaded maps in it (Not apple car play or google maps), which displays the maximum speed limit of the roads that you are driving on.
And I guess this is same with cars having maps loaded by 'Map my India'. My Hyundai Creta (1st Gen Infotainment) also has the maximum speed limit indicator in the SatNav.

Which brings me to the 'why not in India' part. While driving on many roads, the maximum speed limit is not shown/unavailable even in the pre loaded maps. I'm not sure if every single road has a particular maximum speed limit assigned to it by the government or not but if it was assigned, I think major players like Map my India would definitely include it in their system, which they didn't.
pratik.ty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:12   #28
BHPian

The GPS maps (from MapMyIndia) on XUV 5OO features the speed limiter display. While you are navigating, the display shows permitted speed limit on the road you are moving. It is useful to an extent and makes driver aware. The disadvantage being the speed limits fed in the software may not be updated, Accuracy of actual moving speed of the car with Speed limit and people preferring Google Maps over MMI/offline maps due to traffic based navigation. I think Google Maps being the widely used navigation software in India should definitely launch this feature. This will lay the foundation for drivers being more aware of the speed limits which may eventually encourage Car makers or Indian Auto lawmakers to make this feature by default in all the cars.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:24   #29
BHPian

My car Nissan Kicks XV Diesel has a speed limiter. I can switch the cruise control to 3 modes, off, on or speed limiter. If I toggle the speed limiter to a certain speed then it does not allow me to exceed that speed even if I press the accelerator pedal fully.
Old 1st January 2021, 19:40   #30
BHPian

Wow, you learn something new every day. I did not know there was such a thing as a speed limiter. Of course I know that commercial vehicles such as buses and trucks have a governor and the fleet owner can choose to restrict the max speed for these vehicles.

I don't recall seeing a single car in the US with this feature. I travel a lot and I have driven dozens of different make/models over the years. How common is the speed limiter function in other countries other than the UK and India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks