Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 11:13   #241
Senior - BHPian

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled

Could not help but compare the rear profiles in the segment.

XUV 300 looks like an over fed hatch, Brezza the most SUVish but dated,Sonnet looks small in comparison and honestly overdone , Venue looks the best and quite classy,BRV no comments(

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595741796.819694.jpg

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595741812.302306.jpg

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595741833.267544.jpg

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595742072.114633.jpg

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-imageuploadedbyteambhp1595741846.317413.jpg

Personal opinion. No offence to any owners.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:22   #242
BHPian

Re: The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

XUV 300 looks like an over fed hatch, Brezza the most SUVish but dated,Sonnet looks small in comparison and honestly overdone , Venue looks the best and quite classy,BRV no comments(

Personal opinion. No offence to any owners.
The Honda BRV (Mobilio in fancier clothes) was a Creta-Duster rival and it was way longer and expensive than these sub 4m crossovers.
WRV is the car which competes in the sub 4m CSUV segment according to Honda
Nazaar25 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 14:56   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It is like Kia has a cheatsheet from its cousin about Indian market. They are bypassing decades of experience in Indian market by having that cheatsheet. They know exactly what the Indian customers want, have all the technologies that Hyundai has access to, and is somehow able to create more value for money compared to Hyundai offering by working with the feature combination.
This is completely true. Hyundai owns 33% of Kia and there is no harm in sharing valuable experience with it's sister concern. I believe the Sonet might not be as successful as the Venue, but definitely it will eat into the market shares of other competitors. Either ways it is a win-win situation for the Koreans.
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 16:26   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you forgot the most butch SUV in the segment, the one that actually looks like an SUV!

Personally, the Sonet though looking much fresh, is lacking that butch appeal, which separates Hatchbacks from the SUV's (in terms of looks atleast). Similar case with Seltos as well, relatively, both cars look more like premium hatches, then the SUV's in their respective segments.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-ecosport-rear.jpg  

Last edited by 07CR : 26th July 2020 at 16:28.
07CR is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:09   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Similar case with Seltos as well, relatively, both cars look more like premium hatches, then the SUV's in their respective segments.
Too harsh on Seltos, it is definitely a looker and has all the characteristic to a compact SUV.
vvivek85 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:04   #246
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Maybe you forgot the most butch SUV in the segment, the one that actually looks like an SUV!
You both forgot the GC master.

Image source:- Tata Motors webiste.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-img_20200726_200128.jpg  

Last edited by NPX : 26th July 2020 at 20:06.
NPX is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:19   #247
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet listed on Indian website

Kia Motors' Indian website now lists the Sonet compact SUV. While details have not yet been revealed, interested customers can register their interest on the website. The sub-4 meter SUV will make its global debut on August 7, 2020.

Earlier this week, Kia released a teaser image of the Sonet. The SUV will get Kia's 'Tiger Nose' grille and headlamps with LED daytime running lights. The Sonet could also get a black roof with silver roof rails and flared wheel arches.

The Sonet shares its platform with the Hyundai Venue. It is likely to get the same engine options as the Venue - a 1.2-litre petrol, 1.0-litre turbo petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines. Transmission options might include a 6-speed manual, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic and a 6-speed iMT with an automated clutch.

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-screen-shot-20200726-8.17.08-pm.png

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 22:00   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It is like Kia has a cheatsheet from its cousin about Indian market. They are bypassing decades of experience in Indian market by having that cheatsheet. They know exactly what the Indian customers want, have all the technologies that Hyundai has access to, and is somehow able to create more value for money compared to Hyundai offering by working with the feature combination.
Forget about a cheat sheet, there are a dozen different car manufacturers who received the question paper prior to the examination, and also had access to the book while in the exam hall and are still failing.
Please look at what Nissan, Renault, VW, Skoda, Toyota, Ford, Fiat, Jeep have all done despite spending lot of time and money here in our market.

Kia has a smart and efficient marketing team, absolutely no denying this fact.
aravind.anand is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 22:49   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Please look at what Nissan, Renault, VW, Skoda, Toyota, Ford, Fiat, Jeep have all done despite spending lot of time and money here in our market.
Quite rightly said, 6 years since Creta was launched and ruled Indian market. All the players mentioned above have equivalent products globally but took so long, one thing I like though is VW and Skoda going the CBU route to at least try something. Yes they might not get high numbers but that keeps them in the game and brand buzzing around till they have their Creta rivals come in.

Toyota, Ford are not even thinking in that direction to give customers an option. Gone are the days when people used to limit themselves with 10L budget.Indians now don’t mind spending upwards of 20L if the car justifies its price, look at Karoq for one such example.

In fact both Toyota and Ford are in JV and no one is sure of their future in our market. I hope Kia gets more good products and price them right.
firstdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 06:39   #250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Forget about a cheat sheet, there are a dozen different car manufacturers who received the question paper prior to the examination, and also had access to the book while in the exam hall and are still failing.
There is no better way to describe the truth! Nailed it. Of the manufacturer's quoted, I will give VAG due credit for trying to stay relevant. What was Toyota doing is beyond me. They just continued fleecing the Indian consumers by selling overpriced Innova and Fortuner.

If the current onslaught by Kia and all continues, the future of Toyota doesn't look good in India. Add to that their deplorable move to paste their badge on Maruti cars, that's not going to go down well with their loyal customers. Heck, they don't even have shown one tenth the effort shown by Tata! In the time Toyota has launched 2 'new' models here, Tata has come up with at least 5 new ones!

Koreans are the new Japanese! And I feel even Chinese are going to catch up to the Korean levels. The Japanese companies are losing their plot.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 09:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Too harsh on Seltos, it is definitely a looker and has all the characteristic to a compact SUV.
You slightly misunderstood me. It definitely looks great. Much better than the Creta too. But it does lack the SUV stance for me. The low height is the culprit imo. In terms of SUV appeal, even the Duster has better appeal.

No offence, just my opinion.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 09:48   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Here it is, presenting the Kia Sonet

Attachment 2034342

Base Trim in Silver Shade.

Pic Source - Twitter
This is definitely going to be another block bluster from Kia!

The 1.0 litre turbo engine is a successful unit in Hyundai Venue and by all probabilities, same engine will power this machine also, in top specs.

A butch look, top class interior with latest features and creature comforts, Kia Sonnet can give MS Breeza run for it's money.

Kia proves, with right product and right price, there is enough space for competitors in Indian market.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:18   #253
BHPian

The design of the venue appeals more to me personally and probably because its subtle while being stylish. Sonet looks a little smaller in comparison and the fear is "Venue" had a bad rear leg room / bench space and Sonet looks like it has to have some curves and design elements that could make matters worse.

Venue had great offers when I was looking at acquisition recently and was super concerned about the rear leg room. I am 6 and probably a 5.4 was able to sit comfortably when the seat was set to my driving position.

But then came the Rapid in its new TSI engine & the Rider variant played spoilsport. Welcomed it with open arms as I was treated with a full-size sedan (breaking free of the sub4 meter)

Nevertheless, Kia Sonet could have a good run in the market provided they price it cleverly. Plus, they have a great marketing strategy riding on the super successful Seltos! The SUV love in the nation continues to grow and many have started to associate themselves well with a CSUV than the traditional offerings. The Ecosport & Brezza were great products, let’s hope they don’t shrink the size and call them a CSUV as they are more crossover than an SUV like the Nexon.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:21   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Venue is, in fact, one of the value priced vehicles in that segment -
I think this comparison is not the apt one. The Venue is much compact (the interiors , especially the rear, are really cramped ) compared to all other three in comparison here. With my height (6 feet and 3 inches ), the rear of Venue is much uncomfortable for me in the rear compared to i20 .
Old 27th July 2020, 11:55   #255
BHPian

The car in terms of dimensions would be EXACTLY like the venue, that is, cramped from inside and a strict 4 seater. This comes from a friend who works with Hyundai and he has seen the car in flesh quite a few times.

The design, the bulges on the exterior might make it look bigger and wider, but if interior space is measured, it would be identical to the Venue.
Dieselritzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks