Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 13:25   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled

Spy image of the Sonet interior, a base variant.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-screenshot_20200727132025_whatsapp.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 13:46   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Sonet India launch in September 2020.

Quote:
Sonet will be unveiled on August 7, with bookings expected to start thereafter. Price announcement in September.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th July 2020 at 13:47.
Old 27th July 2020, 14:11   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Another birdie sent pic of base 1.2 petrol 5 speed MT

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-img20200727wa0021.jpg

By the way, the cars are still under rigorous tests. The people who have driven it feel the body roll is a bit high for such a small car.

Personally the rotary AC knobs reminds me of celerio ac knobs. Looks cheap.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2020 at 15:51. Reason: Adding watermark
PrasannaDhana is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:28   #259
BHPian

Not sure if it's just me, but those manual AC controls in the middle make the car look extremely small from the inside.
Old 27th July 2020, 14:30   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The dash seems to be interesting and the AC vent design seem to have designs cues taken from the new Certa.

The AC controls seems to be placed much higher for my liking. Its big and feels too much on face.
northstar* is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:50   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
The car in terms of dimensions would be EXACTLY like the venue, that is, cramped from inside and a strict 4 seater. This comes from a friend who works with Hyundai and he has seen the car in flesh quite a few times.

The design, the bulges on the exterior might make it look bigger and wider, but if interior space is measured, it would be identical to the Venue.
My son is looking to replace his 5 year old Grand i10 which has been full of niggles and parts replacement. He seems to be excited with this launch but won't consider it if this news of limited interior space is true. That is one of the strong reasons why he didn't consider Hyundai Venue. I remember we found Venue's back seat space shockingly lesser than Grand i10.

Just like him, I'm sure lots of potential customers would be disappointed with that cramped interiors. The market definitely has better options if space management is the priority.
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 15:49   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Positives - Touch screen (I hope it is a touch screen) and a nice looking instrumental cluster even in a base variant. I own Venue SX and it has a basic cluster which is used in the base variant.

Negatives - The car looks narrow just like my car and it is one of the sore area in Venue.
Old 27th July 2020, 15:54   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Positives - Touch screen (I hope it is a touch screen) and a nice looking instrumental cluster even in a base variant. I own Venue SX and it has a basic cluster which is used in the base variant.

Negatives - The car looks narrow just like my car and it is one of the sore area in Venue.
Is there a touch screen in the base variant? To my eyes, it just looks like blank plate which will be filled with 10.25 inch screen in the higher variant.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:06   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes - the AC knobs really remind of the Santro thanks to the colour combination in fact rather than Celerio/Alto. (Those in the 2 Maruti hatchbacks are placed much better & lower in the waterfall than this placement in the Sonet.)

On the other hand - this unit seems to have manually operable day-night prismatic mirror. That's good to see in a base trim car - assuming it makes the cut in the final production spec cars in the showrooms.
There are no mirror control stalks on the door A pillars either - so it seems the ORVM controls are also electronic - even in base model.

(Or its not really a base model!)

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-sonetmirror.jpg

I wonder why a base model car would have steering mounted controls though. That would mean it has a music system? But then the panel shows something that is either a touch screen unit OR a blank that is capped over. Also - the black patch on the LHS spoke of the steering wheel looks like a PhotoShop job to hide another set of buttons.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th July 2020 at 16:10.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:10   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Is there a touch screen in the base variant? To my eyes, it just looks like blank plate which will be filled with 10.25 inch screen in the higher variant.
I may be wrong here, but the thing protrudes out and looked to me as touchscreen. If it is a blank plate as you called out, it is a different discussion all together.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-capture.jpg  

vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:20   #266
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Attachment 2035130

I wonder why a base model car would have steering mounted controls though. That would mean it has a music system? But then the panel shows something that is either a touch screen unit OR a blank that is capped over. Also - the black patch on the LHS spoke of the steering wheel looks like a PhotoShop job to hide another set of buttons.
The steering mounted controls are present only on one side of the steering and they are only to control the MID. Even the base Creta technically gets steering mounted controls but it only for controlling the MID and so does the Ecosport Ambiente.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:24   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Similar rotary AC knobs are found in the base/mid variant Seltos too. I can safely say the knobs on Seltos are way better than those found on the Maruti cars.

Quote:
Seems like it is the base model itself, without any music system and a blank face plate. The steering is lifted from the Seltos too and it doesn't have any steering mounted control on the left side of the wheel. The button on the right side is to toggle the view on the MID.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:40   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Spy image of the Sonet interior, a base variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

I highly doubt it's the base variant then! Just as Bibendum90949 has posted above the center consoles of both models appear drastically different (when it comes to HU). Even the design of AC vents is different in Prasanna's post, appears to have a knurled finish on the AC vents. Whereas in Bibendum90949 post it appears to be a satin finish.

From the above analysis, if this is a mid spec variant, those rotary type dials certainly look downright cheap.

Last edited by 07CR : 27th July 2020 at 16:45.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:40   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
That is one of the strong reasons why he didn't consider Hyundai Venue. I remember we found Venue's back seat space shockingly lesser than Grand i10.
I had to cancel my Venue booking because of lack of space in rear seats (in all dimensions). I'm still giving benefit of doubt to Sonet until we see more pictures of it. In the photo angle/setting of the leaked cabin photo, even the A-pillars look lean. Could be a camera thing.
zaphodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 16:46   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes - the AC knobs really remind of the Santro thanks to the colour combination in fact rather than Celerio/Alto. (Those in the 2 Maruti hatchbacks are placed much better & lower in the waterfall than this placement in the Sonet.)

On the other hand - this unit seems to have manually operable day-night prismatic mirror. That's good to see in a base trim car - assuming it makes the cut in the final production spec cars in the showrooms.
There are no mirror control stalks on the door A pillars either - so it seems the ORVM controls are also electronic - even in base model.

(Or its not really a base model!)

Attachment 2035130

Sir I think this is not the base variant, the plastic plate is definitely covering a touchscreen maybe 8-inch (lower variants), also the ORVMS do not have any internal manual adjusters and the LHS steering mounted controls are photoshopped.

Attaching a picture of the KIA Seltos HTE variant for reference considering it gets manual internal adjusters for its ORVMs. Definitely the Sonet spotted here is not a base variant!
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-annotation-20200727-163658.png  

CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed