Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2020, 09:41   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Kia Sonet India launch in August 2020.
This will be nothing less than a smash hit. Looks desirable, the brand Kia has already established itself as a premium and aspirational brand, and the engine options as well as transmission options seem ideally suited to the Indian market. I will not be surprised at all if this outsells the Seltos by a huge margin. Love the clean lines which seem a little more understated than the aggressive design lines of the Seltos - much more up my alley.

The only thing that can and is likely to be a spanner in the works is the Covid situation, because of which lot of potential customers will defer their purchases this year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 24th March 2020, 19:43   #107
BHPian

Looks like no TC for the diesel. Will be a bummer if that's the case. Looking for my son's Grand i10's replacement and would be more than happy to put my money on the diesel TC in top variant. Fingers crossed!
Old 2nd April 2020, 19:23   #108
BHPian

Just saw these images on Autocar India's website. Little curious to know about those array of switches below touch screen.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-5e85ccafd5b43_fotojet9.jpg.c1c8ed91ae6c7db63ae3deea3c4c0d83.jpg  

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-sonetinterior.jpg.0d8e5539f2208a31c080442b60fbf375.jpg  

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-5e85ccb1cef8e_fotojet8.jpg.c932fe250685ca367800674b1e133f60.jpg  

Lakshit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 10:57   #109
BHPian

Per Cartoq.com, KIA would introduce their first semi-automatic transmission called Intelligent Manual Transmission (IMT) with this car. The website also claims that the price of this transmission will be lesser than the AMT!

https://www.cartoq.com/upcoming-kia-...-features/amp/

So does it mean KIA Sonet won't come with DCT with 1.0 turbocharged petrol/TC with the diesel? Not sure how is the drivability of their IMT. If it also comes with AMT's jerkiness and no DCT/TC being offered, it would put off a lot of enthusiasts.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 4th April 2020 at 10:59.
Col Mehta is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 11:23   #110
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or there are traces of Volvo XC40 from some angles? Especially if they have a white with black top! In any case, its a wonderful package!
Hyundai + Kia are going to 30% market share soon (they are @ 25%)
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 00:00   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Per Cartoq.com, KIA would introduce their first semi-automatic transmission called Intelligent Manual Transmission (IMT) with this car. The website also claims that the price of this transmission will be lesser than the AMT!
I just hope this IMT doesn't play spoilsport in what looks like another run away success like Seltos in the offing. They should have the torque converter diesel at least in the top variant. Guess they're shying away from it since it's a price game too. Can't think of any other reason for such an omission.

Does anyone have more details on what Kia calls as IMT
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 02:35   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Does anyone have more details on what Kia calls as IMT
I don't remember when and where but I have a read about the basic working of an IMT. What Kia will be offering is semi AMT. Clutch pedal wouldn't be there but the gever lever we get in manuals will be present. One can change the gears manually without pressing the clutch pedal(which ofcourse wouldn't be present).

I hope I am clear to you.
Thanks and regards.
Aakarsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
I don't remember when and where but I have a read about the basic working of an IMT. What Kia will be offering is semi AMT. Clutch pedal wouldn't be there but the gever lever we get in manuals will be present. One can change the gears manually without pressing the clutch pedal(which ofcourse wouldn't be present).

Thanks and regards.
We had something similar on 2-wheels in late 90s. It had gears but no clutch. It went by the name of Hero Honda Street or something of that sort.
Old 9th April 2020, 12:44   #114
BHPian

I'm not sure of Kia's Marketing terminology, but in Toyota speak IMT refers to a pure manual gearbox (with a clutch, obviously) with electronic rev matching.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 12:49   #115
BHPian

Is it something like this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...chaeffler.html (Driven: Swift with Electronic Clutch Management (ECM). And some other ATs with Schaeffler)
If yes, I am not very excited.
ashlil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 14:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

So it's the semi automatic.

I had a celerio AMT for 5 years and more often than not I used to lift the foot off the gas pedal when I wanted the car to upshift. Otherwise the car stays in each gear longer than it's required before it upshifts. This way I found the gear shifting is much better and contained the inherent jerky shifts associated with AMT 's to an extent. The mileage too improved marginally. I followed the same practice while driving it in the manual tiptronic mode too. It's a matter of getting a hang of it.

As of now , we don't quite know what the Sonet would come with - would there be a H pattern gear shift lever or the conventional one(straight shifter) we find in automatic cars with + and - for manual shifts. Chances are less to have a H pattern for its automatics as it would take some doing for a driver to retune his muscle memory and instincts. If it's a straight shifter, I don't see a big issue in adapting to lifting off the foot from gas pedal while up-shifting. Only guys who have driven only automatics will have a problem and take some time to get a hang of it.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th April 2020 at 14:06.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 22:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

It has to be a name that starts with a S to go with the rest of Kia's crossover lineup - Soul, Seltos, Stonic and Sportage. If not, a name starting with T would be good too. That way, their smallest and biggest crossovers (Telluride) will have something in common.

Rio looks like an afterthought to me. I'm sure Kia would have that as a last resort. Being in the same segment as i20, the Rio is a potential candidate for India launch and Kia would think twice to let go of that moniker.
Old 25th April 2020, 23:13   #118
BHPian

Isn’t KIA already selling the Rio globally since 1999 ?? If I’m not wrong it’s the i20’s sibling. Maybe that’s why they are hellbent on the “RIO” name.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 01:19   #119
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
We had something similar on 2-wheels in late 90s. It had gears but no clutch. It went by the name of Hero Honda Street or something of that sort.
TVS Jive, a bike without clutch. Hope the IMT is not similar to gujrati ECM, i.e used for physically challenged.

Having used it in my swift, it works, but very jerky and slow.
Old 26th April 2020, 23:35   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
TVS Jive, a bike without clutch. Hope the IMT is not similar to gujrati ECM, i.e used for physically challenged.

Having used it in my swift, it works, but very jerky and slow.

I think they will provide an automatic (TC or CVT) with manual shifts (like paddle shifters or Gear stick), but the main highlight will be that Clutch will not be there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks