Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2005, 19:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes, we all know how rev-happy the Scorpio's 2.6 litre turbo unit is. And the precise and intuitive handling is far, far better than either a Sail or a Vtec.

In fact, I'm thinking of running a Scorpio at the next Speed Run... think I'll test it at the Kari track.
Old 25th September 2005, 19:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=38

The lancer isnt so safe either...the one tested here was with an airbag...so on the indian lancer expect safety to be even worse.

Drifter
I do not agree to this.Ive had a bad crash on a friends Lancer and thankfully nothing really happened.We crashed into a Tata Sumo at 110kmph.And guess what,all the 3 occupants were safe.Not a single scratch.
The car was`nt a write-off either.Radiator,condenser,front fendings etc were severely damaged,but the engine was perfect.It was up and running in 2 weeks time.And its doing perfectly fine now.If i had to rate the Lancer on safety issues,it would be 8/10.
Here are a couple of pics.

X
Old 25th September 2005, 19:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Exactly...a scorpio is after all a SUV...so dont expect it to handle anywhere close to a sedan. But me being used to driving a car find the scorpio a bit daunting at higher speeds. Not that im taking sides or anything but the safari feels more planted than the scorpio at high speeds.

Drifter
Old 25th September 2005, 19:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just one crash cannot ascertain the safety of a car...there are far too many variables invovled. Maybe you were just lucky. But i'd go with the ncap ratings.

BTW was the sumo stationary? or moving? Arent the ratings are based on crashing into static barriers from different sides.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th September 2005 at 19:58.
Old 25th September 2005, 20:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Yes, we all know how rev-happy the Scorpio's 2.6 litre turbo unit is. And the precise and intuitive handling is far, far better than either a Sail or a Vtec.

In fact, I'm thinking of running a Scorpio at the next Speed Run... think I'll test it at the Kari track.
I'll lend you my Safari. Its even more rev happy though the handling may not be upto the Scorp's exalted standards...
Old 25th September 2005, 21:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Please add the TATA Sumo too!

Just visit any TATA Motors Service centre/Body Shop and there will always be a good number of Crashed (overturned) TATA Sumos..mostly White colour with Yellow Boards(Taxi's that is)..

..I've also read that the Sumo has a very short Wheelbase and is Top heavy when Fully Loaded..and this is a perfect recipe for the car to flip-over...
..I guess TATA Motors has done nothing to address this problem.

Why don't TATA Motors and Mahindra address this serious SAFETY issue?

When will India have strict vehicle Safety norms(like in US/Europe)?

May be the Judiciary has to force the Govt. to do this like it did for the Pollution Norms.
Old 25th September 2005, 21:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007
Why don't TATA Motors and Mahindra address this serious SAFETY issue?
Because of costs issues and lack of regulation from the government. Only when they are forced only then will they comply.
To make the sumo safer, it will be better and easier for tata to redesign the whole damn thing. In other words phase it out and get in some new model for the taxi market.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th September 2005 at 22:00.
Old 25th September 2005, 23:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sumo is top heavy if you load it with 10 people and then you try to act like you're on a slalom run. If you drive the vehicle normally, it's not dangerous, unlike the Scorpio.

That said, it isn't as safe as the Qualis either. That thing is by far the best of the lot.

Steeroid, naaah, thanks for your offer. But I think I'll stick to the Scorpio. Maybe run 335/25 rubber on it, just to get more traction...
Old 26th September 2005, 00:49   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is a subtle yet significant difference between how a car "feels" and how good it actually is.

The Scorpios handling is horrible. Period.

GTO
Old 26th September 2005, 09:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

i dont think the scorpio even "FEELS" happy doing high speeds , one has to be sucidal taking fast corners (yeah 60k's is fast ) ... brake balance is pathetic !..
mahindra did no safety testing prior to launching that car ...

Last edited by turbo_lover : 26th September 2005 at 09:57.
Old 26th September 2005, 11:49   #26
BHPian

TATA Sumo / MM Scorpio - Some of my friends used to call it a Family Killer...
Old 5th November 2005, 01:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
And even the salesmen are to be blamed. A majority of the people who would opt for safety devices like ABS are being put off because the salesmen say stuff like an extra long waiting period, no discounts, lies like that ABS works only on speeds in excess of 120 kmph.
Why would a salesman avoid selling a car including ABS if the customer is willing to pay? What does he gain by that?
Old 5th November 2005, 11:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabcd
Why would a salesman avoid selling a car including ABS if the customer is willing to pay? What does he gain by that?

Probably since the delivery will be delayed hence missed targets - I was looking at ABS for the Getz and they discouraged my mother
Old 6th November 2005, 00:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Zabcd,
well, my brother and Revvmaster were also told some crap about ABS and Airbags by the salesman.
Don't know why though. Guess Ajmat's reason is valid.
Old 6th November 2005, 00:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

A fiat dealer onec told me that ABS and airbags are useless in India because of the climatic conditions. And he said the cost of fixing an airbag is more than a lakh rupees.

the safest car I find in India is the Reva(never gathers speed and never goes on highways.

followed by the palio with ABS and airbags.It is robust small well built too

Octavia petrol with ABS and AIrbags is also an excellent safety vehicle.

Indian government should make it mandatory for ABS,Airbags and TCS to be compulsary in each car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks