Old 31st October 2007, 15:33   #46
BHPian

Hi Folks
Personally i hate a Scorpio for the reasons :

1. The design is not that great
2. The interior is pathetic
3. The power steering is rubbish
4. The air vents are hopeless
5. At high speeds it is frightining and a car of this size at 120KMPH feels faster than it actually is.
6. The rear clearence is not that great.
7. The Grille is out of the design theme.
I will never buy a scorpio even if i get it for a throw away price.
Old 31st October 2007, 19:13   #47

Thanks D1ISTHE1

Even if I see an advantage to point 5 which is to 'protect' my license, I guess it is a real show stopper for me if the behaviour of this car is that bad. I have a hard time though to understand how this car be sold under those circumstances. I guess that when you write that this car is frightening when it going above 120km/h , the test has been done on good roads such as highways or so. On tracks I wouldn't mind it that much.
Old 1st November 2007, 10:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

I am not bothered about the bodies which are waiting for despatch at mahindra for those ill fated suvs,i am concerned about the lives gone in those events .i havent come across even one accident in which a scorpio was involved in an accident and all survived.4 gone 5 gone are the comments which come across when a news about the scorpio accident is mentioned.a common question is, how many?

regards ram
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

hey guys i think i heard this some where, some one say that hyundais are the most unsafe cars in the world is this just a rumour or did i hear some thing wrong?
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:08   #50
BHPian

Not sure about Hyundai's dubious distinction however someone in T-BHP recently had a major crash in a santro and he posted that the car was safe.
I know that Volvo has been known to make the safest cars (they obviously look so!)
Old 3rd November 2007, 09:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I know that Volvo has been known to make the safest cars (they obviously look so!)
Are you sure your eyes are not playing tricks on you, in collusion with your mind?
I cannot tell by looking how a Volvo LOOKS safer than a Tata.
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:58   #52

+1

The reputation of the Volvos in terms of safety come from the many tests which results have been published widely.
I guess I read that the Mahindra do not go through official 'crash tests'.. That's wrong!
Old 3rd November 2007, 14:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Safety features are low not because the cost to employ them or install them is hight, its just because these car manufacturers collectively have not decided it, and nor has the govt stepped in to ascertain the same.

Another prime example of the car manufacturers getting together and ensuring they have their way is the petrol internal combustion engine. I mean do you think that from 1908 (first mass produced internal combustion engine : MODEL T) we have not figured out another way to burn fuel more effectively ? ??. I personally find that really hard to believe. Battery powered cars are here from many decades but still only a few car manufacturers are ready to adopt new technology. So that it doesnt eat in their profits.

I compeletely believe that new technology is expensive because these guys WANT to make it expensive.

Cheers.
Old 5th November 2007, 12:20   #54
BHPian

I welcome unsafe cars, for the fact that nonexistant driver education and good driving practices makes roads dangerous anyway. Crazy drivers, thinking they are invincible, already take so much of risk, endangering themselves (which I don't really care) and others (which I care a lot). Giving them safe cars, and the feeling of security associated with that, life will be much more miserable for people like me who are on the receiving end every day.

Just make sure that there are SOME relatively safe cars that people like me can use. Something that can let me get out of harms way, and protect me in a crash.

I LOVE my fiesta. She has already saved my behind from crazy drivers a few times.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:03   #55
Team-BHP Support

As much as I want to disagree with DileepKS. I find it hard to do so.

I see these idiots on motorbikes, riding recklessly without a helmet.
Sometimes, just feel that maybe it makes it will be good that they go away (I am sorry, feel bad even as I am writing this) before they move to a car.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:04   #56
BHPian

Push for New Safety Regulations in all Passenger Cars

Appreciating the government norms for Pollution by introducing Bharat - III, etc. the government should also push for compulsory safety features in all vehicles manufactured across India within say 1 or 2 years & push for Zero Tax Hybrids. What do you think?

Can you add some more to this list?

1. ABS Standard across all variants of all segments
2. Minimum Dual Airbags
3. Standardised Crumple Zones
4. Comprehensive Tax Holidays for Electric & Hybrid Cars
Old 10th July 2008, 21:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In fact, Hormazd Sorabjee in his monthly autocarindia column went as far to say that Mahindra going to the Koreans for suspension design and development is akin to approaching Salman Khan for lessons on safe driving techniques.

I dont know wheather they went to Koreans or no, but they surely went to Louts when the came up with slightly upgraded Scorpio with sight difference in number plate location and/or slightly different airdam for better airflow to engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think that Mahindra and Mahindra have been extremely irresponsible in their approach, especially since they know more than anyone that the typical Utility Vehicle driver is pretty rural, not really well-educated, overloads his vehicle all the time, has probably sourced his licence by paying touts at the RTO and has only one mode of driving - PEDAL TO THE METAL. Ever seen those traxes, Qualis's and Sumos on the highway? Giving 109 BHP to these guys without the ability to control it is suicidal for the driver, occupants and other road-users.

GTO

1)
The Scorpio to this day remains a bad handler. The 2.6 was a 350kg tractor engine up front and add to this the fact that both engine and passengers are kept higher in Scorpio. The result, as we know, is bad.

2)
Although much has changed in these years, I am similarly afraid that the Nano could be more disastrous. Mostly Nano will be driven by those who dont know a thing about how to use road. This will definitely be very unsafe not only for Nano but also for others.

P.S. :
I brought Nano in to equation because of the thread title " Of Safety and Irresponsible car Manufacturers ".
Old 11th July 2008, 01:37   #58

@Mods, Please rename this thread as the Official Scorpio Bashing thread as that is all i see.

As of the Scorpio being a bad handler, here are my views.
Some here in TeamBhp say that the scorpio is a bad handler. How many people actually push the car to the limits of its handling capacity? Remember this. A carmaker has a choice. Either you get handling or you get comfort. What the scorpio has is a good blend of both, It does have a swingy ride sometimes but if you had a perfectly handling car, imagine the ride quality. Then people will start complaining about that!! And everybody blames the scorpio, why not look at the Safaris handling. When you turn the wheel, first the car thinks "Am I supposed to turn???" and then after a while it turns. People from within Tata have admitted that it doesnt handle well.

I would rather be in a Scorpio at 120+kmph than in a Safari.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 11th July 2008 at 01:38.
Old 11th July 2008, 07:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
@
People from within Tata have admitted that it doesnt handle well.

I agree with what you have said, Cyrus.
Auto India magazine carries a car buyer's guide in each issue. Just check the word they use to describe the handling of the Safari.

I would rather NOT be in a Scorpio OR a Safari doing 120 kmph!
I bought mine to serve as a relaxed Tourer.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:07   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi Cyrus

You've made a fair point and so has Anup.

All the stuff said on this site concerning bad handling and other kinds of Scorpio/ Safari bashing are a complete waste of time and not going to be useful to anyone who is sincerely looking for true/ correct information.

If one drives the vehicle well, according to its capabilities and without trying maniacal stunts which are downright stupid, I am sure one will enjoy and appreciate the abilities of all these cars - whether Scorpio OR a Safari OR anything else - the rest of the stuff mentioned largely on this site other than the technical bits is more to do with personal taste, likes and dislikes of the individuals concerned.

Each type of vehicle should be driven according to its type - again I say that it is not fair to compare a vehicle like an SUV/ MUV which inherently has a high ground clearance etc to a low slung sports sedan in the area of "handling" at "high speed".

In the hands of an irresponsible/ unaware/ un-educated driver, any vehicle whether Qualis, Sumo, Maruti, Lancer, Ikon, Merc, Prado, Bolero, Pajero, Scorpio, Safari or NANO or anything else can turn into a lethal weapon of mass destruction.

I've driven my Scorp on the Mysore to Bangalore highway at its highest speed - touching 150 on the speedo - for a period of about 10 minutes to 15 minutes when the section of road was absolutely clear. However, I PROMISE you that it is very dangerous and not recommended to anyone. It might seem like fun and very heroic but just think what would happen to all concerned, if some poor animal or idiot human were to choose that particular moment to cross/ dart or land up in some kind of vehicle just then! Not at all worth it.

I think if one simply has to do speeds of these kinds for the thrill and enjoyment, it might be worth visiting a race track OR using a high speed, completely sealed off superhighway like the Bombay - Pune Expressway. Nowhere else is it worth trying. What are we trying to prove anyway?

Like Anup, I bought my vehicle for enjoyment and in a sense a pleasant touring experience for my family and myself - I am sure that all our other friends on this site also bought their vehicles for their families and their own enjoyment as well.

Therefore, lets lay this to rest if possible now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
@Mods, Please rename this thread as the Official Scorpio Bashing thread as that is all i see.

As of the Scorpio being a bad handler, here are my views.
Some here in TeamBhp say that the scorpio is a bad handler. How many people actually push the car to the limits of its handling capacity? Remember this. A carmaker has a choice. Either you get handling or you get comfort. What the scorpio has is a good blend of both, It does have a swingy ride sometimes but if you had a perfectly handling car, imagine the ride quality. Then people will start complaining about that!! And everybody blames the scorpio, why not look at the Safaris handling. When you turn the wheel, first the car thinks "Am I supposed to turn???" and then after a while it turns. People from within Tata have admitted that it doesnt handle well.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th July 2008 at 10:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed