Team-BHP - Of Safety and Irresponsible car manufacturers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Of Safety and Irresponsible car manufacturers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2143-safety-irresponsible-car-manufacturers.html)

So Mahindra has launched the Scorpio in the summer of 2002, and the vehicle has been a runaway success. The Scorpio offers great looks, a 109bhp Turbo diesel Engine / 116bhp Renault Petrol engine, space, economy and traditional Mahindra ruggedness. Recipe for success correct?

Not really. Having been to the Mahindra workshop atleast 200 + times in a period of 4 months, thanks to my Jeep restoration project, I was just amazed at the number of Scorpios I saw everyday - Scorpios which had turned turtle or become a part of the landscape due to its extremely poor handling. From Autocarindia to Overdrive to reviews on vaious indian websites by Scorpio owners (indiacar, cybersteering) the one weakness that emerges of the Scorpio is its HORRIBLE handling at any speed above 70kmph. Having been behind the wheel of a turbodiesel Scorpio on numerous occassions, I can tell you that I was terrified while approaching corners on the highway...the vehicle is just that damned nervous. Owing to their high center of gravity, SUV's are anyways bad handlers..but the Scorpio really takes the cake. In fact, Hormazd Sorabjee in his monthly autocarindia column went as far to say that Mahindra going to the Koreans for suspension design and development is akin to approaching Salman Khan for lessons on safe driving techniques.

I think that Mahindra and Mahindra have been extremely irresponsible in their approach, especially since they know more than anyone that the typical Utility Vehicle driver is pretty rural, not really well-educated, overloads his vehicle all the time, has probably sourced his licence by paying touts at the RTO and has only one mode of driving - PEDAL TO THE METAL. Ever seen those traxes, Qualis's and Sumos on the highway? Giving 109 BHP to these guys without the ability to control it is suicidal for the driver, occupants and other road-users.

Dont get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Mahindras...Regular users will know what pain and lengths I went through to restore my Mahindra Classic. But such deliberate carelessness on the part of any automobile manufacturer should not be tolerated. Just go and visit any Mahindra workshops, and the number of Scorpios awaiting a new body will out number all other mahindras COMBINED.

GTO

Did you know this??? Mahindra vehicles are not crash tested. I also read in an issue of Auto India about how the bonnet of a Armada flung open at speeds of 70kmph during a Road Test.

Good point there GTO but why blame manufacturers alone? M&M went to koreans for chassis and suspension designing because they do the job cheap. And they do it cheap cuz they are no match to the Europeons. M&M had to price the Scorpio correct to sell it in huge numbers and paying the Europeons would have escalated the scorpio project costs too high. Somewhere , car buyers in india are also to blame. Having to choose between a cheap car with shoddy engineering and a slightly expensive car with state of the art safety features, a average Indian will anyday buy the cheaper car. Scorpio's sales are not losing steam even after the handling problems reported all over. Compare that with another car that was reported by a certain biased auto mag to give extremely low fuel efficiency and it's sales went bust in no time. you must have seen the latest J.D.Power survey results where scorpio's handling and ride has got great points in the Apeal study. What this shows is hardly anyone knows whats handling. And in the same study it was reported that korean car makers are the second most respected car makers in india after Japanese car makers. And the best car makers in the world - Europeon car manufacturers are just ahead of Indian car manufactureers. It happens only in India!

Life in a Scorpio can be pretty scary!!! The last time i decided to sit in one, 70kmph felt like, 150 on my Vtec.

As far as the Mahindras' not being crash tested goes, I don't think it's the only one in India.

I've never driven a Scorpio before.............. and i'd like to keep it that way.

BTW, If there are any Scorpio owners out there, please give us your feedback!!!

Regards...
Shan2nu

The Koreans are at it again

It really surprising that Mahindra approached Korea for their suspension and chassis as the Scorpio was meant to be a dream project for Mahindra. The statement made by Hormazd was absolutely correct. And in todays times when the news is around that Scorpios are being exported , Mahindra really have to have a focus on safety and crash testing. Because of the sub standard approach from our manufacturers, do cars like the Indica aka City Rover take beatings abroad. I am a Mahindra fan but wouldnt be surprised if the Scorpio meets with the same fate. The Scorpio is a powerful car and I absolutely love it but only if they had a better handling chassis for the power.

Cheers

Oh boy, If mahindra is not to be blamed for going to the Koreans...who else? Yes Koreans did provide their services free, but then wouldnt the Chinese provide theirs even cheaper? Its all a case of where to spend your product development $$. Remember every $1 spend well in the R&D stage will save you $10 eventually in warranty, recall and other liability costs.

Its really sad that people dont know anything about handling in India. But then, when anyone buys a 7 lac automobile from one of the oldest car manufacturers in India, he takes somethings for granted. And one of those things is SAFETY!! Both the active and passive kinds. Mahindra have acted terribly irresponsibly by equipping an SUV on the Indian highways with 109 bhp AND skateboard handling. And it is no one else but their customers who are paying the price. If Toyota sells so many more Qualis's, its not just the Japanese brand at play...people are really buying "piece of the mind" in areas that they know nothing about.

Its going to be two years since launch....Wake up now, Mr. Mahindra

GTO

But i gotta admit one thing......the Scorpio sure is good looking. Wish it had the personality to match it's looks.

Regards...
Shan2nu

You bet Shan2nu, In fact there is a certain Green Scorpio fitted with 255mm Hankook tyres in Bombay. It has been subtly modified by Rio Designs, Bandra. Whatta looker! Its got the spare tyre on the rear door (unlike other scorpios), more muscle on its fenders and a superb grille.

Its really a scorpio to watch out for.

GTO

pls guys dont blame car manufactures, bc they are everywhere in the world manufacturing the same cars all over the world. only the safety features in india are compromised due to every one looking at low prices and also the tax sytem in india, also we look for cheaper cars than costlier safer cars, it depends on the consumer to choos and the manufacturer only follows the consumer trends

During one of my TBHP meets (Bangalore or Cochin, I cant remember) someone pointed out another safety issue on the Scorpio - apparantly its engine is set SO far back in the engine bay that in the event of a crash its certain to crash into the passenger area.

Why only Scorpio, Look at the accent, Corolla (suspension).
Most of the cars sold here are outdated and unsafe.
And it is not only the Manufacturers, even the customers are to be blamed. How many customers would spend 10K - 20K on extras like alloy wheels instead of essentials like ABS?
And even the salesmen are to be blamed. A majority of the people who would opt for safety devices like ABS are being put off because the salesmen say stuff like an extra long waiting period, no discounts, lies like that ABS works only on speeds in excess of 120 kmph.
It would really help that if instead of making Height adjustable headlamps compulsary, the government ought to have made crash test compulsary for every manufacterer and those doing miserably should not be produced, they could also see te cars condition and those poorly maintained should not be allowed on the expressway or any highway. Even making 3 point seatbelts compulsary would have been a better move.

Check EuroNcap Ratings of various cars here.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...troduction.php

Drifter

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=38

The lancer isnt so safe either...the one tested here was with an airbag...so on the indian lancer expect safety to be even worse.

Drifter

The accent and the lancer have got identical saftey ratings.

Hyundai Accent 1.3 GLS
Adult occupant rating 2 stars - 1 flagged. Pedestrian rating 2 stars
Test Scores: Front 4 (25%) Side 9 (50%) Overall 13 (38%) Pedestrian 14 (39%)

Mitsubishi Lancer GLX
Adult occupant rating 2 stars - 1 flagged Pedestrian rating 2 stars
Test Scores: Front 4 (25%) Side 11 (61%) Overall 14 (41%) Pedestrian 14 (39%)

@lamborghini: Overall, the lancer is safer by 2% which is negligible. So we can say the lancer is as safe or as unsafe as the accent. So do a little research before you start. No offence.

Drifter

i own a scorpio guys...and i really dont find it bad at handling...ive got a v-tec...sail...and a scorpio...and i prefer racing with my scorpio...because it does whatever i expect out of it and very good at reving...increase in speed is not as fast as sail/v-tec...but it doesnt stop...till 120 the speed just keeps on increasing...the only problem with the car is..it cant tackle big potholes..if at high speed the car goes over a pothole...big 1...the tyre moves a bit right or left and u have to slow down otherwise u lose control ....ive taken fast turns with this car...never lose when i race with some friend inn my scorpio...yeah but it will make a screeching kind of sound while taking a fast turn but u know that you know that the car is in control...