Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen Passat discontinued

According to a media report, the Volkswagen Passat has been discontinued.

In India, the Passat was offered in four variants with prices starting at Rs. 25.99 lakh. The car came with features such as LED headlamps with daytime running lights, electric sunroof, 3-zone automatic climate control, touchscreen infotainment head-unit, electric seats with massage and memory function among others.

Rumour: Volkswagen Passat discontinued-passat.jpg

The Passat was offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 174 BHP @ 3,600-4,000 rpm and 350 Nm @ 1,500-3,500 rpm and a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The replacement for the Passat is expected to arrive in 2020 with a BS-VI compliant engine.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 18:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen Passat discontinued

This news could indeed be true because VW India has not sold a single Passat for the last 3 months and just 2 of them in June. And if they have indeed discontinued it then this should be temporary. They should be launching it with the BS6 compliant engine in the coming months. Because it's a fantastic package and VW has been consistently selling more than 100 units every month inspite of stiff inhouse competition from the Superb.

One more thing that intrigues me regarding this rumor is that if VW has indeed discontinued the Passat then why not the Tiguan,Superb and the Kodiaq which also share the same engine albeit in different states of tune? Or is there more than what meets the eye?
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Any idea if the BS4 Tiguan will face the same fate? Discontinued now and BS6 Tiguan launched in 2020?
Old 21st October 2019, 21:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this is rumour, it must be True. When I was looking for a new car, I spoke to the VW sales manager at a couple of dealerships about the Passat. Both of them confirmed that the Passat has been discontinued and they don't know when it will be back on sale. I think it is a prudent decision. I am not hopeful about the return of the Passat in 2020. VW and Skoda will focus on SUVs going forward and so far they have only confirmed the launch of the new Octavia in 2020.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 21:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That media report was pure clickbait. The entire D1 sedan-loving world has known that VW India intentionally sold off nearly all the current Passats (at good discounts) to make way for the 2020 Passat with the BS-VI diesel. However, as adimicra has pointed out, VW has not officially confirmed that they will get it here; all the reliable VW senior sales advisers I know are adamant that it will reach India by JFM 2020.

VW has shown particular lunacy in the last year so I'd say it's a clear 50:50 on what happens next.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 22:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little out of loop on VW line-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The entire D1 sedan-loving world has known that VW India intentionally sold off nearly all the current Passats (at good discounts) to make way for the 2020 Passat with the BS-VI diesel. However, as adimicra has pointed out, VW has not officially confirmed that they will get it here; all the reliable VW senior sales advisers I know are adamant that it will reach India by JFM 2020.
Could you comment on if it will be a 'facelift' version in anyway or the exact same looking model but with a different engine?

Thanks.
Old 21st October 2019, 22:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Could you comment on if it will be a 'facelift' version in anyway or the exact same looking model but with a different engine?
Definitely the new one recently launched in the EU & UK. Engines are still unclear although VAG's stalwart 2.0 EA288 TDI has been recently improved and given the EA288 Evo moniker.

Refer the following links:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat.html
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/...ngine-tdi-3650
https://www.motor1.com/news/304079/2...europe-reveal/

Last edited by ajmat : 21st October 2019 at 22:36.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:34   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Heard that Skoda-VW are sitting on the fence with reference to the BS6 version of their 2.0 diesel, but IMHO they will eventually come around. It's too important a motor for them in the Indian space.

Sucks to see one of my favourite sedans being temporarily discontinued. It better come back! The Passat is the classiest car in the segment by far.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Passat is the classiest car in the segment by far.
You said it. Not only is it the classiest, it's also handles better than the others including the Superb.

On the discontinuance, it appears to be an annual affair. I was offered a huge discount last year by the dealer as according to them the Passat was being discontinued and they had just a couple in stock. It was re-introduced this year and discontinued again.

As usual, one never knows what's happening with VW. Not that it would make too much of a difference; neither do they.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Heard that Skoda-VW are sitting on the fence with reference to the BS6 version of their 2.0 diesel, but IMHO they will eventually come around. It's too important a motor for them in the Indian space.

Sucks to see one of my favourite sedans being temporarily discontinued. It better come back! The Passat is the classiest car in the segment by far.
The Passat is a personal favorite of mine too.

Have you heard any whispers on the rollout of a hybrid version either in the Passat or the Superb? Surely the Camry's sales performance and long waiting times indicate the viability and potential of such a variant. I've resolved to get a competent enthusiast-friendly hybrid sedan or SUV to replace my Jetta and the wait seems interminable!
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

I get the feeling that VW will put the Aurangabad plant to work in assembling SUVs that sell. Am sure VW are going to use the 2500 unit homologation free import quota to import the Passat considering the numbers.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I get the feeling that VW will put the Aurangabad plant to work in assembling SUVs that sell. Am sure VW are going to use the 2500 unit homologation free import quota to import the Passat considering the numbers.
Both make sense from a business profitability point of view. Although - was the Passat a CKD import for India till now? Or there was some localization? If it was "made" here rather than "assembled", would making it a CKD push the price further north? For a car selling just about 10 units or so for few months, sending the price further up may not be very healthy. Just curious to know - I don't have a clue.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Both make sense from a business profitability point of view. Although - was the Passat a CKD import for India till now? Or there was some localization? If it was "made" here rather than "assembled", would making it a CKD push the price further north? For a car selling just about 10 units or so for few months, sending the price further up may not be very healthy. Just curious to know - I don't have a clue.
The Passat was CKD, guess only the tyres and battery might have been locally sourced. The only opportunity would have been if the engine had been locally assembled. The engines for the following cars could have shared most of the same production line

VW Passat
VW Tiguan
Skoda Octavia
Skoda Superb
Skoda Kodiaq
Audi A3
Audi A4
Audi A6

My estimate is that this would amount to 400 engines a month. Might not have been worth it
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:18   #14
BHPian

If VW can discontinue the Jetta here anything is possible!

I owned the 6 cylinder 2.8L Jetta in a previous life and what a beauty it was to drive.

Why would they stop selling it in India is beyond me.

Currently, considering the Tiguan around Jan.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:33   #15
BHPian

There goes another nice VW. No Jetta, No passat.

Will the bring in this new 2020 Passat shown in link below?

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2019-detr...wcased-1978440

I don't like the new design, especially those ugly grills. The current one is so classy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks