Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda City BS6 specs, variants leaked

A leaked document from the Transport Department of the Government of NCT of Delhi has revealed some details of the BS-VI compliant Honda City.

Honda City BS6 specs, variants leaked-city-bs6.jpg

The document states that the Honda City is powered by a BS-VI compliant 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that could produce 118 BHP @ 6,600 rpm. The document also suggests that the City is likely to be offered in four variants - SV, V, VX and ZX.

A media report suggests that features such as LED daytime running lights, 15-inch alloy wheels, remote locking, electric ORVMs, audio system with Bluetooth connectivity and cruise control are likely to be offered in the base SV trim. Higher variants are expected to get 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, keyless entry and rear view camera. The VX variant is likely to be offered with a sunroof, telescopic adjustment for the steering wheel, auto-dimming IRVM and 16-inch alloy wheels, while the top-spec ZX variant could get automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers, leather upholstery and side and curtain airbags.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City BS6 specs, variants leaked

i-vTec has been replaced with i-Tec ! Does this mean no more sweet i-vTec motor?

Honda is also not talking about the autobox / CVT !

The GVV is on the lower side, it seems that Honda is is going on a diet due to upcoming crash testing norms. The only possibility that I can think of is switching to hot-stamping for some critical components. If that is the case, after Germans & Fiat, Honda would be next in line for their vehicles in India with hot-stamping.

Ford is also using hot-stamping but that is only for exported vehicles and not for Indian sales.

Last edited by i74js : 22nd October 2019 at 18:48.
i74js is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:57   #3
A M
BHPian

Does this mean Honda is also dropping the diesel in BS-6 era?
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
No, as far as publicly available information goes, the current diesel engine will be upgraded to meet the BS-6 norms and will continue to be offered in the City and other cars.
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Not just Honda. Many manufacturers may well drop the diesel engines, especially the sub 2L ones for BSVI. It would not be economical from a price and running cost perspective. There could be some, however these would be pricy and may not have many takers.

Last edited by swissknife : 23rd October 2019 at 12:41.
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A media report suggests that features such as LED daytime running lights, 15-inch alloy wheels, remote locking, electric ORVMs, audio system with Bluetooth connectivity and cruise control are likely to be offered in the base SV trim. Higher variants are expected to get 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, keyless entry and rear view camera. The VX variant is likely to be offered with a sunroof, telescopic adjustment for the steering wheel, auto-dimming IRVM and 16-inch alloy wheels, while the top-spec ZX variant could get automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers, leather upholstery and side and curtain airbags.
If true, that's finally some proper kit as per customer aspirations on the SV and V trims. They were quite bare bones so far. SV really lacked a lot of kit and made better sense to get a higher trim of a lower segment car instead. It appeared as if SV was primarily in the line up just to keep the base price down.

These new speculated trim kits seem with the times and should appeal to the customers. Will be interesting to see what price bumps we see. BSVI upgrades are a very easy opportunity for car makers to increment product prices under cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Not just Honda. Many manufacturers may well drop the diesel engines, especially the sub 2L ones for BSVI. It would not be economical from a price and running cost perspective. There could be some, however these would be pricey and may not have many takers.
Actually no. Except perhaps VW & Renault, others are all going to continue their diesel engines >=1.5L (the sub4M upper cap capacity). The power-torque-mileage characteristics of these new breed 1.5 mills are still finding buyers and the roughly 30-50k price hike is something that people most probably still will pay for it. Engines below 1.5L don't make sense because they belong in car segments where 30-40k is a significant % of car price and people mostly will opt for petrol instead.

We'll continue to see the 1.5 from Mahindra, Ford, Tata, Maruti (in a while!), Honda, Kia, Hyundai. On the other side of the spectrum, the 2.2/2.5L diesel engines are now nearing the end of their life cycles having been around for a decade or more. They will pretty much all get replaced by more powerful, efficient & modern 2.0L designs. Once again, a diesel generation shift being spearheaded by a Fiat Multijet in India (2.0MJD2 in this case).
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Actually no. Except perhaps VW & Renault, others are all going to continue their diesel engines >=1.5L (the sub4M upper cap capacity). The power-torque-mileage characteristics of these new breed 1.5 mills are still finding buyers and the roughly 30-50k price hike is something that people most probably still will pay for it.
While the >=1.5L could be true, the delta in prices could well be in the range of 1.5L rather than in the 30-40k range. Add to this the increased maintenance costs and it starts to pinch the wallet a lot more.
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
While the >=1.5L could be true, the delta in prices could well be in the range of 1.5L rather than in the 30-40k range. Add to this the increased maintenance costs and it starts to pinch the wallet a lot more.
It won't be 1.5Lakhs trust me. That was a hype Maruti created because they didn't have a diesel engine ready in time. Tried to create false market sentiment. Mahindra has already hinted at what the difference is going to be and its going to be well below 1L. Even with taxes, insurance premiums etc in proportion, I don't expect the difference in small engined diesel cars to reach 1L OTR - just due to engines. The car prices may well go up - but that will be because car makers will use this opportunity to bring face-lifts & also increase some profit margins under cover.

Ownership costs from engine perspective won't be too different. Ad-blue a couple of times an year is not a big deal. The world is using it. Majority of Europe still drives diesel power as preferred over petrol with Euro6 in force. So it still makes sense in ownership even with higher initial cost for sure.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Ownership costs from engine perspective won't be too different. Ad-blue a couple of times an year is not a big deal. The world is using it. Majority of Europe still drives diesel power as preferred over petrol with Euro6 in force. So it still makes sense in ownership even with higher initial cost for sure.
Even at say, 75k to 1L, it would increase the gap between petrol and diesel cars substantially. BSVI fuel could also be priced higher post Apr 20 since oil companies have had to invest a lot for BSVI. In all, diesels could well lose their cost advantage. The govt would also be keen to reduce the use of diesels for commute vehicles. Come Apr 20, post the next budget, it would be clear.

Last edited by swissknife : 23rd October 2019 at 13:19.
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A leaked document from the Transport Department of the Government of NCT of Delhi has revealed some details of the BS-VI compliant Honda City.
By the way, interesting little line at the bottom of that document page. It says the car is certified for registration only as a private car. So it can't be registered as a yellow plate / self drive (yellow on black) vehicle as of now? Interesting.
Old 24th October 2019, 06:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Interesting that Honda has not gone for CVT based transmission. I wonder why though. I see plenty of City's in Pune at least with AT, so I would assume its a fairly popular choice. Another thing that's kinda disappointing is the lack of change in the power specs. I guess Honda could do with a 20-30 bhp power bump all across the range to enhance the sporty quotient and not to eat into its sibling's market. Jazz at 116 BHP, City at 140 BHP, Civic/CRV at 160+. The only mass market model for them right now anyway is the Amaze.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 17:58   #12
BANNED

Bookings open for BS-VI petrol Honda City, launch likely to happen this month.

Diesel BS-VI to come later, just before the April 2020 deadline.

Link

Last edited by wheelguy : 5th November 2019 at 18:03.
Old 5th November 2019, 22:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
... Jazz at 116 BHP, City at 140 BHP, Civic/CRV at 160+. The only mass market model for them right now anyway is the Amaze.
That would be tempting too much and I would love to see it. Sadly, though it may never happen.
Old 5th November 2019, 23:26   #14
BHPian

This adds to my confusion. I have almost decided on City petrol V manual. Got a good price for my 2012 Punto and discount of 1.2 lacks. Now, I'm confused whether to hold back and get BS6 version or to go with BS4. But, I'm not sure if BS6 will have these kind of discounts.
sridharj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 23:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj View Post
This adds to my confusion. I have almost decided on City petrol V manual. Got a good price for my 2012 Punto and discount of 1.2 lacks. Now, I'm confused whether to hold back and get BS6 version or to go with BS4. But, I'm not sure if BS6 will have these kind of discounts.
IMO , if you have to get the car before 2020 , BS4 with a 1.2 lack discount is the one to go for. If you can hold on till end of Q1/beginning of Q2 , 2020, you'll see discounts being offered on the BS6 one too.
Also the BS6 will most likely be a very minor facelift and the price difference at launch will not make sense.
advaydh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks