Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd October 2019, 19:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Datsun brand to be axed

Just when I thought the newly introduced Go CVT would be a nice little city run about car with decent features, this news comes up. Guess that was a short lived thought.
Old 24th October 2019, 00:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Better to kill the brand, consolidate and try to revive the Renault-Nissan alliance. Too much management bandwidth. Promise service support through Nissan dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This car represented Datsun in my mind till Nissan resurrected the brand to make models like the Go and Go+
Add the 510 to the list. Better known as the "Poor man's BMW"
Old 24th October 2019, 06:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Renault Nissan alliance is literally East and West. NISSAN should stand proud on its own, and they have fantastic products they can leverage on. Renault can spearhead their European ambitions. I've always seen this as 'chalk n cheese'. But the future game is 'electric', so they need to reinvent everything. Leaf does have a head-start, but then so did Reva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Better to kill the brand, consolidate and try to revive the Renault-Nissan alliance.
Old 24th October 2019, 07:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I just loved this one particular car - the 240Z.
The Datsun 240Z was a truly iconic car. In its first ever attempt in 1970 it won the Overall Victory, Class Victory, Team Victory and Manufacturers Championship in the then world's most gruelling rally - the East African Rally. It also won in 1971, 1972 and 1973.

The 240 also won places in the Monte Carlo Rally, Australian Southern Cross Rally and other rallies.

All this was before Nissan management decided to kill / damage / spoil the brand.

Source: 240Z Rally Cars
Attached Images

Last edited by AMG Power : 24th October 2019 at 07:59.
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 07:45   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've been critical of the Datsun brand since the early days and can only say this will be a well-deserved death. Resurrecting an old brand and using it to sell "cheap cars" full of visible cost-cutting was just so DUMB. Plus, within India, there is no need for the same group to have so many brands - that's cutting it too thin. Management bandwidth, advertising budgets, dealerships, products etc are spread out across 3. IMHO, instead of having 3 weak brands, you would rather have 1 strong brand. Bring in a 2nd brand after the 1st has become strong (like Maruti & Nexa or Hyundai & Kia).

R.I.P. Datsun. You will not be missed. You shouldn't have been brought back from the grave either.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:10   #21
BHPian

In case Datsun is axed, operations in India would be the most affected. Till last year, India was contributing over 50% to overall Datsun Global sales. Also, India business was purely surviving (if at all) on Datsun volumes. I really feel for their employees in India (I was one till last year). Over 150 dealers will also go out of business.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:17   #22
BHPian

Where do these people get soo much money?

One day they launch a new( or resurrect) brand and another day they just kill it off. Where is the long term vision?

If i were holding shares in Nissan i would be concerned.Hopefully the Datsun employees and dealers are integrated into Nissan (not a rosy picture either ) and not hung out to dry for no fault of theirs.(other than trusting Datsun)
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:58   #23
BHPian

Isn't datsun outselling Nissan now.. why do they have to kill a car which atleast brings them some volumes vs others.

I feel for folks who bought datsun in india. Classic case of overseas decisions without any care for what's going on in the markets...

Nissan should completely wind shop rather than kill its subsidiary companies one at a time.. rather focus on growing Renault which is showing promise..
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 12:49   #24
BHPian

I think all this 3 company should combine together and run the show in INDIA
Mainly Renault Nissan and Mitsubishi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaul...Alliance#India
Old 24th October 2019, 13:32   #25
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-brand-414626

It's almost confirmed now, however there are two different narratives in this link.

1) In the newspaper clipping, it says "The upcoming Datsun models, like the compact SUV, will now launch as a Nissan, while the current datsun models will live on, but as rebadged Nissans; this would happen along with a facelift.

2) But in the text, it says "According to company sources, Nissan won’t axe the Datsun brand anytime soon, but is likely to do it in a phased manner after the current range of products reach the end of their lifecycle and are subsequently discontinued. This could stretch till 2022 or early 2023, after which the next generation of products on the CMF-A platform will come with a Nissan badge.“We won’t take a Nissan badge and stick it on the current Go or a Redigo, that’s not going to work,” said a source. “The switch should happen with the next generation of these model lines,” he added."

So, we are not sure if the Datsun Go et al., will be rebadged as a Nissan or not but they will be sold till the end of their product cycle and Nissan intends to stay in India which should be a relief for their customers.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
So, we are not sure if the Datsun Go et al., will be rebadged as a Nissan or not but they will be sold till the end of their product cycle and Nissan intends to stay in India which should be a relief for their customers.
When did they ever say that they are going out of India?

On the Datsun brand, looks like some product restructuring here and there that happens with every company.

Hope Nissan brings some of their iconic global SUVs here instead. I had a look at the Nissan Terra once. Wow! Maybe they think those kind of vehicles are too good for India?
Old 24th October 2019, 15:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
1) In the newspaper clipping, it says "The upcoming Datsun models, like the compact SUV, will now launch as a Nissan, while the current datsun models will live on, but as rebadged Nissans; this would happen along with a facelift.
My sources are confirming this narrative. The upcoming Datsun compact SUV and a sedan (over 4m) may now wear a Nissan badge. People are still not sure though. What needs to be seen is the major facelift that redi-GO is getting next year. Not sure if that will be shelved.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 24th October 2019 at 15:46.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
When did they ever say that they are going out of India?

On the Datsun brand, looks like some product restructuring here and there that happens with every company.

Hope Nissan brings some of their iconic global SUVs here instead. I had a look at the Nissan Terra once. Wow! Maybe they think those kind of vehicles are too good for India?
They didn't. But Nissan along with Fiat was the most popular contestant in the game of "Guess which company will follow the footsteps of GM" by BHPians and they are right in doing so. GM atleast had a few best selling cars in it's portfolio back in the day (Spark, beat, cruze etc.) while Nissan has had none till date with the Micra and Sunny being modest successes.

But agree on the SUVs though. But sadly, the most iconics ones like the pathfinder (now a boring crossover) and patrol (selling consistently only in the Middle East) might be too expensive for India!

So, in a company that consists of one French (Renault) and two Japanese (Nissan and Mitsubishi) brands, the French turned out to be the most accomplished. Oh the irony!
Old 24th October 2019, 16:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Actually, Datsun products live on in India as Nissan. Only the Datsun badging goes: follow the link of ACI:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-brand-414626

I was eyeing the Datsun Go CVT, would have made a great city car. But would Micra CVT and Go CVT coexist or would one have to go? That's the question! I actually enquired about the Go CVT with the Nissan Dealer in Chennai, he didn't bother to get back at all! That said a close friend had a Micra that gave a lot of problems and he sold it of coz Nissan wasn't able to solve those.
Old 24th October 2019, 17:02   #30
BHPian

A friend of mine here in my city which can be classified as a tier 3 city recently opened a Datsun dealership after his father’s failed stint in 90s and 00s with a Royal Enfield dealership before Siddharth Lal took over which they then converted into a Maruti authorised service centre later. I wonder how it’ll affect him and others like him who have invested their capital.

Most Viewed