Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Sunroof Usage
Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it. 166 25.08%
I forgot I had a sunroof in my car! 30 4.53%
I just use it once in a while 105 15.86%
I don’t want sunroofs and would be good if a manufacturer gave me a loaded car without it (cost savings) 308 46.53%
I had to buy the car with a sunroof because I had no option in the top variant 53 8.01%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 22:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?

^^^
That link talks only of rolling your car. I was thinking more in terms of 'scuttle shake'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th October 2019, 22:52   #62
BHPian

Voted for option 1. My criteria of selecting a new car depended heavily on the car having a sunroof. I was quite fascinated with the sunroof feature and with all due respect, one needs to have a car with a sunroof to experience its practicality in India as well.

I keep the sunroof shade open at all times except when it is too sunny and it is also one of the best ways to bring fresh air in without bringing the windflow directly towards you (because of the wind deflectors). It also brings the much needed light inside the cabin and keeps people from feeling stuffy. However, as with every other feature of a car, it will have its proponents and opponents. I, for one, absolutely love sunroofs!
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 22:53   #63
BHPian

Voted 1. Though I’m wondering if fixed panoramic sun roofs should be debated the same way smaller openable sun roofs are.
Old 25th October 2019, 22:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Voted for option 1. My criteria of selecting a new car depended heavily on the car having a sunroof. I was quite fascinated with the sunroof feature and with all due respect, one needs to have a car with a sunroof to experience its practicality in India as well.

I keep the sunroof shade open at all times except when it is too sunny and it is also one of the best ways to bring fresh air in without bringing the windflow directly towards you (because of the wind deflectors). It also brings the much needed light inside the cabin and keeps people from feeling stuffy. However, as with every other feature of a car, it will have its proponents and opponents. I, for one, absolutely love sunroofs!
Be careful, Pune weather hasn't been very predictable this year

May be for Mumbai and Pune owners companies should rename it to rain roof
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 23:59   #65
BHPian

If you think you dont need a sunroof in your car, you are either not driving enough, or your are not travelling to the right places.
That honestly is what the biker in me thinks.
Having a sunroof in a car allows for that essential connection to nature and surroundings. It is why we bikers love biking.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 00:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

A glass roof would do it for me. I've never had a car with a sunroof but I imagine it wouldn't be open that much but the extra light would be very welcome!
Old 26th October 2019, 01:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

I would be the one happy to trade off sunroof from the features list to cooled seats. I love the sunroof, the light it allows on a cool day and the drama during monsoons. But I would appreciate ventilated seats on a hot afternoon much more (which is almost 365 days in a year here in Mumbai).
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 06:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That link talks only of rolling your car.
Not really. It also says:

Quote:
a sunroof has no tangible effect on the structural rigidity or strength of a car....even in the hardest of cornering manoeuvres, the stiffness of a car is not affected by a sunroof in the slightest; no tangible amount of flex will occur in the body to warrant not having one.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 08:21   #69
BHPian

A panaromic glass roof is the way to go. Let's in ample of light when needed, the way the water droplets reflect off it during rains is to be seen to believe. On night drives under a clear sky, the millions of stars viewed is amazing. Since the glass roof stays fixed, there is no worry of water leakage or seals being broken etc.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 10:35   #70
BHPian

I have a 2018 Skoda Suberb and the only time I use its sun roof is sometimes during late hot mornings to vent out hot air rapidly.
I believe this sun roof represents a lakh or more hard earned money of mine which I could have saved. For me its a useless thing which brings in heat. Still waiting for the time when manufacturers will start giving customers more configuration options and not shove models down our throat they way they like it.
lambodara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 10:39   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Think beyond a certain price point, a sun roof (preferably a panoramic one) is a must have in cars. Why? Not because you use it everyday or even once a month - but because you want all the features when you are paying loads for a car. At lower price points (C2 segment and below), its an optional extra - I would probably not pay 10% extra on a ₹ 10 l car for one. But if I were buying a ₹20 l or higher car, and had two nearly equal choices, the sun roof could well swing it. That happened when I bought my Superb in 2010 and could well happen when I replace my Vento (most likely in 2020).
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 11:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I start at 5 in the morning before the heat is up. Having the rear of the sun roof popped up an inch, the Ac off, and fresh ram air entering through the louvers feels nice.
In a car without the sun roof I would be having the ac on through, the sun roof is worth it for just experiencing this fresh air.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 11:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I was thinking more in terms of 'scuttle shake'.
it all depends on the car and the sunroof I guess. Many factory fitted sun roof come with quite a sturdy thick base, which gets (tag) welden from underneath. So the roof does loose some strength due to the sunroof hole, but the sunroof base will strengthen it to some extent. Loose some, gain some.

Also, if factory fitted, one would hope/expect the designers to have taken this into account

The worst ones are most likely the simple aftermarket ones. Where all they do is cut a whole in your roof and stick a simple transparent sunroof on.

Just theory, in order to verify you would have to test various cars/models with and without roofs. I can tell you one thing though; Most people have no idea what scuttles shake means/is. Put them into my roofless AlfaSpider and they will know within 100 meters of driving.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

A panoramic sunroof even when closed lets more air into the cabin making it less claustrophobic for people like me who are too tall and hate having to spend time in cars feeling boxed in.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:46   #75
BHPian

I had no option but to get the top end variant- the Octavia RS was launched in only one variant.

The only time I use the sunroof is when I do my monthly check if all the electricals are still working fine. I have never used it for any other purpose.
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks