Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 15:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

8th-gen Audi A6 launched in India at Rs. 54.20 lakh

Mod Note: BHPian hrk997's Audi A6 45 TFSI Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Audi has launched eighth-generation A6 in India at prices starting at Rs. 54.20 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The new A6 is available in two trim levels - Premium Plus and Technology and has a single petrol engine option.

8th-gen Audi A6 launched in India at Rs. 54.20 lakh-newa6.jpg

The new A6 gets a hexagonal grille flanked by LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and a front bumper with chrome inserts. At the rear, the car comes with LED tail lamps with a thin chrome strip in the centre and a redesigned bumper with chrome inserts. It rides on 18-inch alloy wheels.

On the inside, the new A6 gets a redesigned dashboard with twin touchscreens for the infotainment and other functions. The Technology variant gets a digital instrument cluster, Bang & Olufsen audio system, 4-zone automatic climate control and hands-free parking. Other features include power panoramic sunroof, power front seats with memory function and leather upholstery.

The new A6 is powered by a 2.0-litre, turbocharged, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 241 BHP @ 5,000-6,500 rpm and 370 Nm @ 1,600-4,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, which drives the front wheels.

The new A6 is available in five colour options - Ibis White, Firmament Blue, Myth Black, Seville Red and Vesuvius Grey.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2021 at 11:06.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8th-gen Audi A6 launched in India at Rs. 54.20 lakh

This car has been coming and coming for such a long time that I sincerely think the enthusiasm of even the Audi India folks has died down. Not helping the matters is the lack of a diesel engine. I think Audi India has certainly missed a trick here by not launching the diesel engine.

Also as per Autocarindia review, they have skipped the air suspension on this one which was present on the previous car. Would have given them bragging rights against the competition. The long wheelbase E class is just a couple of lakhs more than this one making this an even harder sale.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:52   #3
BHPian

Don't see it being the best selling in the segment. Makes sense for the enthusiasts to go for the 530d.
Expecting it to be heavily discounted in December/January.
Old 24th October 2019, 18:19   #4
BHPian

Seeing the New A6 being launched without the stunning new HD Matrix headlights is quite disappointing. The headlights were a big differentiating factor of the new generation of cars (New A6,A7) over the last gen and it just doesn't look like a brand new A6 from the outside IMHO. The interiors though are really special but i biased towards mercedes and their design language which i feel exudes alot more class and luxury.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 20:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Audi India's new head honcho speaks with Autocar

Few takeaways from the interview

1. Mr. Dhillon and the interviewer Nikhil both are stammering and do not feel confident at all.

2. Most probably Audi India will not have any diesel in its lineup post April 2020.

3. The E-tron is definitely coming next year.

4. No concrete answer given on when Audi will launch niche cars like the Q3 Sportback or the upcoming product pipeline for India.

So basically I do not see any value addition being given by this interview at all.
ram87pune is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:39   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is anyone surprised as to why Audi India is in trouble - related analysis (Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?)?

There is no diesel to start with! MAD decision. There is still a big market for diesel luxury cars and the competition offers not one, but TWO diesel options (E-Class & 5-Series). No 6-cylinder motor in a luxury car is crazy.

Then, there are some feature deletions compared to the outgoing car. Not to forget, being a more "economical" FWD while your direct competition is RWD.

Those who want to be chauffeur-driven will pick the E-Class LWB, while those who love to drive will go for the 5-Series. Audi, as always, lands in no-mans land.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I suppose given that Audi is run by VW, the parent company's lack of interest in the Indian market has probably rubbed off on Audi as well. Of course, at least Audi has been releasing models since 2009 as opposed to VW bringing 2 cars and then flying back to Wolfsburg and pretending an entire country doesn't exist to them.

Quote:
Then, there are some feature deletions compared to the outgoing car. Not to forget, being a more "economical" FWD while your direct competition is RWD.
An Audi without the Quattro system is a surprise because earlier many Audi's I saw always had the Quattro badging on them.

Quote:
Those who want to be chauffeur-driven will pick the E-Class LWB, while those who love to drive will go for the 5-Series. Audi, as always, lands in no-mans land.
I do wonder, wouldn't the Audi make sense to the person who, from monday to Friday wants to be chauffeured (because traffic), but Saturday and Sunday drive on his own (because lower/no traffic)? I don't know how many such people exist but I'm sure they do.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:10   #8
BHPian

Audi management has gone bonkers! good products ruined by people! And that's the case all across VW brands!

I think they have totally overpriced the the car, no air suspension, no ventilated seats, no air purifier, no massage seats. I think compared to lwb Merc e class, it's a bummer.

If they had to launch petrol only, it should have been in hybrid mode.

Also, exteriors don't really look any much different than the outgoing model. More like a face-lift than a complete new model.

Just such a waste of perfect opportunity.
Old 25th October 2019, 17:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

These guys are smoking something strange.

A 2 litre 4 pot petrol motor with front wheel drive for a large executive sedan. Nice Audi, congrats on shooting yourself in the foot..again!!

I'll take a Skoda, thank you very much.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 21:17   #10
BHPian

I drove a friend's new S6 here in the U.S. and I can tell you, the car is bonkers, especially with those HD Matrix lights in the red trim with all black interiors! The interiors are definitely at par with the current E and dare I say, better than the 5er on offer. Yet, it's sad to see Audi India's management launching some of the most lackluster trims in the Indian market. Same can be said about other Audi models, such as the A3/4 sedans with their puny 1.4L TFSI engines (vs the 45TFSI Quattro trim with Virtual Cockpit available here, which would run circles around a 530d).

I understand the petrol-only move from a strategy standpoint since diesels are gonna be phased out from VAG's lineup sooner than we think. The Indian market, however, is a completely different demographic and a petrol-only option at launch is a buzzkill for many. I do have to say - Audi's gasoline engines are SWEET, as many of the owners on this forum will agree, and I for one will personally not miss the 2-liter workhorse.

Albeit, it's time they step up their game, revise their strategy for the Indian market, and at least not compete half-heartedly - especially when the competition is going above and beyond with their product offering (read: Mercedes' Indian line-up).

Last edited by mohaks19 : 25th October 2019 at 21:34.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Think we are being too negative here. Diesel engines are dirty, polluting and represent an unacceptable liability risk for any manufacturer. Look at the data - every Diesel engine manufacturer has been legally or otherwise faking data on NOX and particulate emissions. Under the circumstances, I don’t blame VW and Audi for phasing out diesels from their line up - they may lose in the short run but the fines that could come the way of diesel car makers would make any diesel car sales unprofitable after considering a probability weighted analysis.

Yes, I have issues with how Audis look - but there is an audience for their understated elegance, only a small minority of luxury car buyers know the difference between Quattro, RWD and FWD, and an even smaller fraction who could tell the difference by driving a car (I know I can’t). So let’s see how their sales shape up - suspect increasingly, A6 will be less relevant than the Q5 though.
Hayek is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 08:35   #12
BHPian

The Previous gen A6 pioneered many things like standard air suspension, DRL's, Matrix lights etc

The latest gen omits the air suspension and introduces nothing new! The only updates are the new interiors and touch screen, with exterior being more evolutionary. How do they expect to up the game and stand out?

Audi is losing the game.
Old 27th October 2019, 12:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

The problem with the A6 is that it is no leap forward from its predecessor. It is a decent alternative to the E and the 5 series but unless you do a lot of highway cruising, it is not exactly outstanding.

If you are chauffeured, the E class makes you feel like a king. The 5 and also the A6 are outclassed and outsold in this respect over here. Mercedes took a bold step to create an E for India. The E also came around a year late but they were doing their homework. Mercedes took the China body shell, added india specific engines - the BSVI engine that can run on BSIV diesel and created a masterstroke.

Audi have similar resources in China but after 10 years have not made the transition in India from basic assembly to manufacture. They could have been manufacturing the A6L over here with assembled engines. The lack of a diesel option is a double-edged sword - on one hand the petrol engine is superior to the E200 but on the other hand, petrol executive cars are still a minority. Am sure a BSVI diesel will come in. That might be the issue at the moment. They have no diesel less than BSVI.

If I am correct, the A6 is not locally assembled but comes in fully imported under the 2500 unit exemption. Rumour has it that it failed homologation on a very minor (non-threatening) technicality. This answers the reason why the air suspension and the matrix headlights were deleted in order to sell at an attractive price.

That price of Rs 54L is its key attraction, it provides a lot of metal for the money compared to the BMW 3 and the Mercedes C class however, discounts and finance packages run rings (how ironic!) around Audi.

Lastly the timing! Diwali is the time when people buy stuff, do not dither, and go for the latest and the blingest! Audi should have launched the A6 around early September in order to get the order books running. I pass the Audi showroom every other day and have not seen any cars awaiting delivery during the festive season. Sundaram Motors, around the corner, has its yard, chock-a-block!

Saying that, the A6 is quite a looker, it might actually be a nice car but product placement has been a bit of a joke!

Last edited by ajmat : 28th October 2019 at 09:18.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 12:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
you do a lot of highway cruising, it is not exactly outstanding
There's no diesel engine for doing the highway cruising.

It doesn't have one USP. The E class has the LWB, the BMW has the 530 series, what does this have? A regular petrol engine at par for the segment and features of a 'base model'.

No diesel engine due to tighter emissions is not an excuse. Mercedes and BMW have launched BS6 versions for almost the same price. And Audi is no Lexus to have a petrol only lineup.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 12:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
There's no diesel engine for doing the highway cruising.
Agreed.

To add to my point, if you have driven an Audi in blistering rain storms or on a motorway, it is sublime - whether petrol or diesel.

However, this is not the typical use case for the target segment.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2019 at 08:25. Reason: typos
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed