Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 23:23   #151
BHPian

Re: Have you ever bought a car / bike without a test-drive?

Yes, bought my current Activa without even stepping into a dealer, TD or even seeing it for 3 weeks after its delivery. I just asked the dealer to drop it at my friend’s home near the dealership when it was ready. All transactions from inquiry to payment to delivery arrangements was done through phone as I was not in town.

My opinion at that time was - “It’s an Activa, what to really test?”.

I definitely wouldn’t (and didn’t) do the same for a car.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 15:57   #152
Senior - BHPian

I bought my first two bikes HH Paasion and Pulsar, and my first car a Maruti 800 without test drives/rides. Immensely enjoyed all of those, the only regret is selling them.
Old 9th February 2020, 23:08   #153

In a quandary at the moment. Trying to get my hands on a JTP Tiago. Haven't seen or driven one till date. And given where I'm posted presently I am not in a position to access one till stocks finish. Going to be booking one soon. Have seen a regular Tiago up close. I am satisfied with what it offers. Coupled with seeing all (and I mean ALL) the reviews of the same on Youtube and Team-BHP MULTIPLE times, I am going to take the plunge as a first car for a 26 year old. Ticks all the boxes in my requirement list.

Although this thread has been nothing but endearing in my favour, any word of caution from the esteemed members on my decision? Thoughts otherwise? GTO?
Pahadi.Officer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 08:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

I bought my first bike, a Kawasaki 4S, in October, 1993. I didn't know how to ride. I took a friend who knew how to ride and took delivery. I started learning from that evening.

I bought a Santro in February, 2012 without a test drive. By that time I owned and driven an Ambassador, Bolero, Indica, Omni for several lakh kilometres. And Santro was a very well established vehicle. So, I didn't feel the need to test drive one.

It was same with Omni as well. That was in October, 2011, on Dasara day. I never drove one before. I sold off Omni in January, 2014 and Santro in October, 2014 and got a Zest XM 90 D in October, 2014. For Zest, though, I took multiple test drives. Tata was in a bad state then, and I was in two minds whether to go on safe side and buy a DZire or go for Zest. I was used to driving a DZire and Zest, for me, felt more comfortable. Coupled with zero maintenance till 45,000 km ( Zest was offered with an AMC for 3 years or 45,000 km free of cost when it was launched) and higher ground clearance, more spacious cabin, not to mention the relatively silent cabin and very good steering (not the steering wheel)I went for it.

Last edited by simplyself : 10th February 2020 at 08:50.
Old 10th February 2020, 09:06   #155
BHPian

I purchased the Ford Ikon 1.3 flair without a test drive. This was a gift from Airtel and they paid the ex showroom price. I had the option to upgrade to diesel at my own cost or pay bug $ to upgrade to Mondeo. I went with the 1.3 petrol.
Vians is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:19   #156
BHPian

The only automobile we've bought without even a physical inspection was my dad's Premier Padmini.

The fact that it was corporate run translated to immaculate maintenance and running condition!

I still remember the excitement with which all of us at home were waiting for the car to arrive, since for most of us, except my dad, it was the first time on a Padmini.
Old 10th February 2020, 10:21   #157
BHPian

My Hyundai i10 was bought (in 2011) without a test drive.
Our family was deciding between i10 and Wagon R. Although I wanter the latter, but my mother on seeing the Wagon R remarked that she will never sit in that ‘truck looking car’
So we just went ahead and bought an i10.
Old 10th February 2020, 14:17   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vians View Post
I purchased the Ford Ikon 1.3 flair without a test drive. This was a gift from Airtel and they paid the ex showroom price. I had the option to upgrade to diesel at my own cost or pay bug $ to upgrade to Mondeo. I went with the 1.3 petrol.
Very interesting, why did Airtel gift you a car? Story time please
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:17   #159
BHPian

1.Hyundai verna 1st gen
2.Alto k10 1st gen.

Both were fantastic buys
Old 10th February 2020, 16:40   #160
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Swift Vdi was booked before test drive was done, though i did do a test drive before delivery. And now the KTM 390 Adventure paid for without even seeing it lol
Old 10th February 2020, 17:01   #161
BHPian

Had bought a Fiat Palio without a TD. Was a brilliant car. Really the best hatchback. Only downside was terrible Fiat after sales.
Old 10th February 2020, 17:05   #162
Senior - BHPian

My first car the M800 was bought without a test drive, though I had driven a relatives pre-owned M800, it felt like heaven at that time (we had a Sipani D-1 ). After that I did a TD of all cars that I bought. Everyone in India was buying an M800 and I could get a Non A/C model as the A/C model had a long wait list. Had a Sanden Vikas A/C retrofitted it with a huge 107 compressor at UNIPRO Maruti Chennai this was way back in 1994.
Old 10th February 2020, 18:04   #163

My First car (Swift ZXI-2008) was brought without a test drive. Because I really did not have any other choices. But I did a TD All of the other cars I brought.

On the two-wheelers, I did not do a TD for Ntorq because it was not available with the dealer.
Old 10th February 2020, 19:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

In 2009 I bought Pulsar 180 without riding it. I had some previous experience on friends Pulsar 150, so that's it.

When I got my first gen petrol Dzire, I drove Diesel version as they had only diesel for test drive! Really weird, irritating & funny at the same time. Sales executive said its same, only engine is different Saar, Lol !!!

When I bought Ertiga Diesel, i never tried that really. Had a very short drive and that's it to take the decision.

Last edited by aniketi : 10th February 2020 at 19:48.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:04   #165
BHPian

I bought my Kawasaki ZX14R without ever riding it before

I used to ride Ninja 650 and once i test rode a friends Hayabusa during our Sunday rides. But in 2016, 14R wasnt available for a test ride at dealer so i took the plunge based on my test ride experience with Hayabusa and studying specifications of the 14R along with various reviews/comparisons of the bike. I am very glad to report that 14R turned out to be much more awesome bike than i ever imagined! Yesterday on a Sunday ride, i completed 25,000 kms of amazing ownership of the bike

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 10th February 2020 at 20:06.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks