Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:44   #271
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really? 8-speed? Is this a possibility? ZF & Aisin are the only ones I can think of with 8-speed ATs.
Also - Hexa is RWD while the Gravitas is FWD and the engine mounting is different as well. Would it make economic sense to 'test' it on the Hexa? Or is that going to be the defacto automatic for future releases of the Hexa & Gravitas?
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:57   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Really? 8-speed? Is this a possibility? ZF & Aisin are the only ones I can think of with 8-speed ATs.

The ZF 8 speed would be a game changer. Every time I drive the 3 series, I just marvel this unit. Its by some distance the best auto gearbox I have ever used, by far.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:32   #273
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4709733

This was spotted a few days ago.

Looking at the trend, is Tata planning to crash test the gravitas before launch?
If so, Hat's off to TATA Motors.

As these ratings are from a global agency, the international market for Tata looks promisable now.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:40   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

This was spotted a few days ago.

Looking at the trend, is Tata planning to crash test the gravitas before launch?
Can't say. I think Tata is the first car company in India who set up crash test facility in-house. This particular car could be for their internal tests. You can see that whatever Indian cars GNCAP
tested have no exterior preparation done like the one in your post. We have been to Tata crash test facility and all test cars are prepared like this.

Last edited by Latheesh : 24th January 2020 at 00:07.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 21:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians. Latest round of information regarding the Harrier/Gravitas duo.

1. As of now Harrier is a 2 star GNCAP car. This is mostly because of the 2.0 Multujet engine which is intruding more into the passenger cell than expected. My sources tell me that with their petrol engine it will be a 4 star car.

2. Contrary to what I had said earlier, the Gravitas won't get any sunroof atleast initially. And even later also it will get a smaller one. So one more point to bash Tata about.

3. Autocarindia is completely wrong in stating that the Harrier will get 18 inch wheels. No. Like I had mentioned long back only the Gravitas will get 18 inchers and the Harrier will continue with 17 ones. But yes the design will be same for both.

4. The next SUV on the OMEGA platform is most likely to be the Harrier coupe.

5. The rumors of any 8 speed auto being tested by Tata are just that, rumors. Hyundai's torque converter is coming in the Harrier/Gravitas. The twin clutch 7 speeder is still a long time away. Most likely not before 2023.

6. The Blackbird SUV is still at a nascent stage and the call is not yet taken as to which platform it would be built on I.e. Cherry or OMEGA.

7. And finally even though not yet caught in any spy pic, the smaller ORVMs are coming to both the SUVs.
ram87pune is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:25   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

1. As of now Harrier is a 2 star GNCAP car. This is mostly because of the 2.0 Multujet engine which is intruding more into the passenger cell than expected. My sources tell me that with their petrol engine it will be a 4 star car.
Really ? That is quite a disturbing statement. Really hope this is not true. With all that talk about safety if this gets to be true, all of us will have to take our words back.

On another note,with just that statement, you probably have cost a lot of sales for TML. If it was MG, you are looking at threats and possible lawsuits.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 24th January 2020 at 22:26.
padmrajravi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:51   #277
BHPian

Quote:

1. As of now Harrier is a 2 star GNCAP car. This is mostly because of the 2.0 Multujet engine which is intruding more into the passenger cell than expected. My sources tell me that with their petrol engine it will be a 4 star car..
Hard to believe.

1. Land Rover’s pedigree
2. Tata’s commitment to offer safe cars in the entire range
3. Tata’s R&D facility, in-house crash test facilities
4. Tata’s know how in developing crash worthy cars in recent past.

Considering the above factors this is unlikely.
beast_within is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:53   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Really ? That is quite a disturbing statement. Really hope this is not true. With all that talk about safety if this gets to be true, all of us will have to take our words back.

On another note,with just that statement, you probably have cost a lot of sales for TML. If it was MG, you are looking at threats and possible lawsuits.
Agree, this comes a a shock. Is that the reason why Tata is not in a hurry to get NCAP test carried out for Harrier while a new model like Altroz already went through the NCAP test?

Last edited by Guna : 24th January 2020 at 23:10.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:55   #279
BANNED

That’s so worrisome to hear. There was something amiss from the beginning with Harrier not being crash tested. I think Tata wouldn’t have anticipated the problem mentioned. Sad that their premium offering ended up with such a fate. Hope they can do something to make it a 4* one.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 05:13   #280
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys. I understand the hue and cry about the crash test rating. This is from Tata's internal testing and not GNCAP. They are pretty sure about this 2 star thing and that's why only the Harrier has not been sent to GNCAP as of now. Heck even the Hexa is a 2 star car.
And this doesn't mean that the Harrier will stay a 2 star car. Ofcourse Tata is working on making it achieve a higher rating but as of now it's a 2 star car.

And my sources cannot be underestimated. No way sir. Regarding what my sources had said about the Gravitas getting the smaller sunroof, it is most definitely coming but not at launch is all I am saying. Please go through my post from 1st November on this same thread. You will see that each and every point that I have made has turned out to be true.

Also like I said, the Harrier won't get 18 inch tyres.Period. Autocarindia cannot be always right.

Last edited by ram87pune : 25th January 2020 at 05:24.
ram87pune is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 06:03   #281
BHPian

Quote:
This is from Tata's internal testing and not GNCAP. They are pretty sure about this 2 star thing and that's why only the Harrier has not been sent to GNCAP as of now. Heck even the Hexa is a 2 star car.
And this doesn't mean that the Harrier will stay a 2 star car. Ofcourse Tata is working on making it achieve a higher rating but as of now it's a 2 star car..
It implies that Tata was aware of the short coming during design phase itself and still could not fix it. Moreover even after a year they are still trying to fix. Is this so complex thing in this era?

Can’t GNCAP pick it directly from the market for crash test if it wanted to? Did Datsun and Maruti deliberately send their cars to GNCAP for crash test assessments?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th January 2020 at 06:48. Reason: Typos
beast_within is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 10:02   #282
BANNED

• While Tata had two 5-star rated cars, and three 4-star rated cars, works were in progress to make safety upgrades to the rest of their portfolio.
  • Production of Hexa, Harrier, Safari Storme, and Zest were stopped by December 2019 to adjust the stocks to facilitate BS-VI transition.
  • Company is yet to take decision on whether to axe Zest or to continue it in BS-VI form to serve the commercial vehicle segment.
Quote:
“We are committed to make not just stylish cars that are great to drive and ride but also the safest cars. When we upgraded the Tiago and Tigor from BS IV to BS VI, we also enhanced the safety features, including pedestrian protection features, to make the cars safer for both occupants and pedestrians,” said Bose.

Sources said efforts were underway to make the safety upgrade in all passengers cars that would continue in the portfolio, including MPV Hexa. Manufacture of Harrier, Hexa, Safari Storme and compact sedan Zest have been suspended since last month-end as the company makes the switch to comply with BS VI emission norms. The company is yet to take a call on introduction of a BS VI Zest that is popular in the commercial vehicle segment.

Three years ago, seven out of 10 cars that Tata Motors sold were diesel variants. Now, seven of them are petrol. “Going ahead, a number of cars in the portfolio will also have electric variants,” said Bose. Both the Alpha and Omega platforms are ready for electric.
Source and full article at: Link
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 11:08   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Source and full article at: Link
Interestingly the same article also says:

Quote:
Tata Motors vice-president (global design) Pratap Bose said the company was confident full-size premium SUV Harrier and the future line of products, including Gravitas, the seven-seater SUV, small SUV codenamed H2X and the sedan on the Alpha-ARC platform would achieve high safety rating from Global NCAP. Tata Motors is the only Indian car manufacturer with a crash test facility
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 11:51   #284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Interestingly the same article also says:
Quote:
Tata Motors vice-president (global design) Pratap Bose said the company was confident full-size premium SUV Harrier and the future line of products, including Gravitas, the seven-seater SUV, small SUV codenamed H2X and the sedan on the Alpha-ARC platform would achieve high safety rating from Global NCAP. Tata Motors is the only Indian car manufacturer with a crash test facility
He said they would achieve high rating in safety, they were not crash tested by GNCAP yet.
  • We can understand from ram87pune's post, they were doing internal tests and what ram87pune said was based on the internal assessment.
  • What it clearly shows is that they had thoughts about building safer cars and thus they are doing the internal assessments and are trying to make the necessary improvements.
  • They are looking for 5-star or at the least 4-star rating for all of their cars, and are working in that direction despite people not caring/asking for it!
  • They are not there yet, but they are working on it, and are going in the right direction.
  • Other manufacturers were not concerned about making safer cars because most of the buyers were not aware about the importance of safety, and are not asking for it. Instead people are asking for bigger screens, sunroofs, etc, and all of that at a super budget price, thus manufacturers were forced to cut invisible corners, few manufacturers chose to cut on safety to accommodate budget for touchscreens and sunroofs.
  • Lastly, Tatas got a lot to improve regarding a.s.s, sales, and marketing, etc, but all that aside they are working on a very important aspect called safety while other manufacturers barring few were choosing not to work on it!
PS: Though rattling sounds spoil the driving experience, I will choose it over other cars given if it is safest in the segment.

Last edited by wheelguy : 25th January 2020 at 12:00.
wheelguy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 12:12   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys. I understand the hue and cry about the crash test rating. This is from Tata's internal testing and not GNCAP. They are pretty sure about this 2 star thing and that's why only the Harrier has not been sent to GNCAP as of now. Heck even the Hexa is a 2 star car.
And this doesn't mean that the Harrier will stay a 2 star car. Ofcourse Tata is working on making it achieve a higher rating but as of now it's a 2 star car.
First of all, thanks for the sharing insider information with the forum but with all due respects Sir, some information is best not disclosed on a public forum, especially when the manufacturer is working towards bettering the product. It produces a negative perspective around it even before the manufacturer has put out an official statement. If the GNCAP results are out and the Harrier gets a 2-star rating, we can start bashing Tata for making premium offerings less safer than it's bread and butter models. I don't think it is right on part for Tata, Harrier owners and the prospective buyers to read sensitive information that 'someone' has disclosed verbally.

Quote:
And my sources cannot be underestimated. No way sir. Regarding what my sources had said about the Gravitas getting the smaller sunroof, it is most definitely coming but not at launch is all I am saying. Please go through my post from 1st November on this same thread. You will see that each and every point that I have made has turned out to be true.
I would be really surprised if your sources are within Tata.
Porschefire is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed