Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 21:20   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutankit View Post
Came across this truly pessimistic news stating that Gravitas' launch could be pushed next year (2021) .Can't believe this given that the Hector Plus was launched yesterday!
This news is indeed true. I have already mentioned in another thread,

Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-mpv-2.html (Tata Motors to build an Ertiga-rivalling MPV)

The media drives for the Gravitas are scheduled for diwali and the launch is expected only in early 2021. And looking at the Hector Plus's pricing, it looks like the Gravitas will surely turn out to be fairly more expensive than the Hector since the Gravitas is expected to be priced around a lakh rupees more than the Harrier variant to variant.

But assuming that MG has not made any changes to the suspension of the Hector Plus, it is likely that the Gravitas will turn out to be a better dynamic package than the MG plus you will have the automatic option on the Gravitas which the MG sorely misses on the diesel variant.

So here is a list of a few areas where I expect the Gravitas to better the MG

1. Looks. Again this is subjective.

2. Diesel automatic combo.

3. Better dynamics.

While the MG will better the Gravitas in following areas

1. Perceived value for money.

2. More features and creature comforts.

3. Option of a petrol powertrain.

So take your pick.

Also just like the BS6 Harrier, you will get to read an exclusive first drive report of the Gravitas from my side here on the forum in the next few months. So keep watching this space.
ram87pune is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 00:07   #362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
This news is indeed true.
I don't know what to say.....feeling truly dejected!...was hoping someone to label it as false rumours but since you have confirmed this, it is as good as official.

Now even assuming a Jan-Feb launch, there will be barely enough quality feedback by Holi 2021 (March end) (& very likely no T-BHP review).

Quote:
Also just like the BS6 Harrier, you will get to read an exclusive first drive report of the Gravitas from my side here on the forum in the next few months.
Given the above timeline your review/first impressions will be crucial especially in ascertaining if I should wait till the next year or go ahead with the Harrier

Quote:
So here is a list of a few areas where I expect the Gravitas to better the MG

1. Looks. Again this is subjective.

2. Diesel automatic combo.

3. Better dynamics.
1. Looks: No need to be politically correct, Hector Plus ain't no SUV. Looks are very important to me (along with presence) or else Hexa would have been here long ago (sorry)

2. Diesel Auto: Not mandatory! (80-90% highway use). Infact I rather fancy the Manual!! Will take the final call post TD.

3. Better Dynamics: Offcourse. But a comparison vis-a-vis the Harrier would be great. Would be interesting to know:
> how the extra weight affects the performance &
> how the larger size affects the dynamics (body roll) alongwith
> the impact of heavier kerb on ride quality (I know it ain't going to be a Hexa but I'm expecting it to be on par or slightly better than the Harrier)

Quote:
While the MG will better the Gravitas in following areas

1. Perceived value for money.

2. More features and creature comforts.

3. Option of a petrol powertrain.

So take your pick.
1. Perceived Value for Money: Very wise words indeed ("Perceived"). Totally depends what you perceive value in. I don't see any value in the Hector Plus as a SUV but as a MPV (especially as a Crysta rival) it might be my top pick!

On the other hand I feel given the fact that Gravitas will be more loaded than the Harrier variant to variant, Gravitas XE might virtually be Harrier XM. Add an auto to it (not likely) & even the Gravitas base would have been good for many.
Nevertheless, if retained, the XMA would be the most VFM given the lack of sunroof on the top XZ. I for one am eyeing the XT manual which would come around 20-20.5 Lakh on road in my state (same as XMA).

2. More features/bling: Standard ESP & safety options are more value to me than a smack in the face cheap tablet, though I'll miss the sunroof on the Gravitas.

I'm totally aligned with TATA's philosophy on things it puts value upon in this day & age where offerings from the market leaders are gradually becoming decadent (MSIL) & overpriced (Toyota, Skoda, Hyundai, Jeep etc). TATA & Ford seem the only ones carrying the vigil forward.

3. Optional Petrol: That to me is just to add pages to the brochure. Even with the current fuel prices, only a few will be interested in a Petrol in a full sized SUV/MPV. As if Hector Petrol automatic numbers weren't scary enough

So take your Pick: I can't stand the Hector twins (again sorry) & Creta 2020 & Seltos though quite practical & prudent, somehow don't make my heart flutter. IMO, only competition of Gravitas as of now is the Hexa, things will warm up once the XUV next generation (2021), Compass 7 seater & Safari 2.0 (?) arrive. So for now, its going to be the Gravitas or the Harrier for me.

Quote:
So keep watching this space.
Keep posting on this rather cold thread which will be going colder still given the sad news.
watchoutankit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 21:15   #363
BHPian

Quote:
This news is indeed true. I have already mentioned in another thread,
Drat I had my eye on that one for a few years now. I always felt they should have launched the Gravitas first and for all this delay they could have attempted a 4WD/AWD for the Gravitas. Next year after the blings capture all the market not sure what impact an costlier Tata would have. I still think the Harrier pricing cut by 2 lakhs variant by variant could have given them a much better share including the opportunity to be flexible with the Gravitas pricing. Tata should really stop the discount culture and price better in the beginning as at least the volumes will bring in better returns rather than discounting and selling lesser cars
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 22:23   #364
BHPian

Just wondering why this is taking so much time when you have the BS6 engine ready in Harrier. AT gearbox sourcing issues?
I think if launched in the upcoming festive season this can take the fight to Hector plus and generate interest among people who are waiting for the next gen XUV 500 and convert some of them towards this.
Also variant to variant there will be some undercutting / over cutting as compared to Hector Plus and that should not be an issue as people do compare features on comparable models before taking the final plunge. So as long as Tata keeps the most expected features intact in that variant the pricing will work.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 12:30   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Gravitas spied in Coimbatore –confirms rear disc brakes!!

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitasspiedtesting4.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitasspiedtesting2696x696.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitasspiedtesting1696x696.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th July 2020 at 12:32.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 13:19   #366
BHPian

Delaying the launch may not be that bad after all. The market isn't exactly on fire right now and once something doesn't fly out of the showrooms post launch, the probability that it will be a sales hit decreases drastically with passing time. Tata may be trying to launch by the time when they expect things to come back to normal. That would also give them additional testing time to iron out any issues.
octane_100 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 13:27   #367
Senior - BHPian

The problem with delaying a car people have already seen in the flesh on videos and photos from Geneva is that people will eventually lose interest in the product when it actually launches. Case in point the Mahindra Mojo motorcycle debacle. And in this case their rival Mahindra is gearing up with an onslaught of new and updated products in the next 2 years which would give a big advantage to whoever makes the first move.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 14:30   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Delaying the launch may not be that bad after all. The market isn't exactly on fire right now and once something doesn't fly out of the showrooms post launch, the probability that it will be a sales hit decreases drastically with passing time. Tata may be trying to launch by the time when they expect things to come back to normal. That would also give them additional testing time to iron out any issues.
Agree, Tata should use next 6 months to iron out the rough edges and make the product better. I hope they incorporate the following:
  • Current roof is said to be not able to accommodate a panoramic sunroof. Redesign the roof to integrate a panoramic sunroof.
  • Redesign the front end to differentiate it from Harrier, at least the grill part
  • Redesign the rear suspension to be 'independent suspension' type
  • Icing on the cake would be an optional AWD
Guna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 17:08   #369
BHPian

Quote:
This news is indeed true. I have already mentioned in another thread
Sir you have been always right on the scoops so this news is a bit sad. I was really hoping that Gravitas will pave the way for success for TML compared to Hector and other cars of this category.

Do you think there is a possibility of ever getting a AWD version of either Harrier or Buzzard down in the product lifecycle ?
These are both great cars but I feel introducing an AWD or AWD AT combination may make it a differentiating factor. Off course there are no sales for the AWD version but it’s only the marketing differentiation that this gives to Gravitas / Buzzard.

Lastly, will look forward to your first drive reviews. Have already subscribed to this thread.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 18:03   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Sir you have been always right on the scoops so this news is a bit sad. I was really hoping that Gravitas will pave the way for success for TML compared to Hector and other cars of this category.

Do you think there is a possibility of ever getting a AWD version of either Harrier or Buzzard down in the product lifecycle ?
These are both great cars but I feel introducing an AWD or AWD AT combination may make it a differentiating factor. Off course there are no sales for the AWD version but it’s only the marketing differentiation that this gives to Gravitas / Buzzard.
Hello Swarnava.

Thanks for the kind words. As of today there are less than 1% chances of the Harrier twins getting an AWD system in their respective lifecycles. Midlife facelifts are expected not before 2023 that is when the new turbo petrol engine and wet clutch DCT will be made available. And Tata will keep updating these two SUVs with more features along the way.

And since Tata has decided to continue with the Hexa, it will most definitely come back in its 4×4 avatar as before so people who want a 4×4 Tata SUV will have that choice. And again do not hope for an AT and 4×4 combo.

According to my sources, even though there is a transmission tunnel in the Omega platform, the rear non independent suspension has been designed to not have a propeller shaft going through it and to make an AWD setup available in the Harrier twins Tata will have to make significant changes to the rear suspension which is not a priority project for Tata as of today. But let's see what future has in store for us. Never say never.
ram87pune is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 18:09   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Well - the year 2020 is already more than 50% finished. If I were a car maker and looking for one of my most important car launches - I'd do whatever I could to delay it. Launching a car right now has 0 benefits. It won't sell much thanks to the pessimistic market sentiment, lockdowns & limitations on travels. Customers are trying to save money and thinking a million times before spending a million or more on a car which currently has no use.

Launching a car means manufacturing it in large numbers. If the car doesn't sell post launch due to Covid19 unknowns - you end up with a huge stockpile, that you need to sell with discounts after 2-3 months of life in yards. That means discounts on a brand new flagship car after launch. The product is as good as dead then.

The Altroz & Harrier 2020 are already not getting the sales numbers they'd mostly have garnered in a world without Covid19. Why push another car into that list. Best to wait and delay the launch IMO. A smart decision if true from TML.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th July 2020 at 18:26. Reason: typo correction
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 22:50   #372
MMV
BHPian

While delaying launch makes sense now, Tata Motors need an array of products in 10-25lac price band, with variants of different products overlapping each other in pricing so as to be a major player in SUV space. Till now they have not got the pricing and product strategy right, though Hexa and Nexon were good. Also IMO majority buyers in 10+ lac SUV segment will look for 7 seater options. Jeep may have been an exception but Harrier sales reflect this thinking.
Feel Mahindra is a step ahead in solving this SUV puzzle. Hope the 2 local players, who are now champions of safety, offers an array of products in this space, ultimately benefitting customers.
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 23:22   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. As of today there are less than 1% chances of the Harrier twins getting an AWD system in their respective lifecycles. Midlife facelifts are expected not before 2023 that is when the new turbo petrol engine and wet clutch DCT will be made available. And Tata will keep updating these two SUVs with more features along the way.
I seriously wish Tata can get some product with a 4x4 automatic, Harrier/Gravitas or Hexa.
It might not be sales champions but there will definitely be a few takers like me and it will round off the product range nicely.
Now that 2021 Mahindra XUV is going to get a version with 4wd auto and the upcoming Thar and Scorpio may get it too, Tata is going to be found lacking after these launches from Mahindra.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2020 at 00:00. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
spkrnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 23:32   #374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Launching a car means manufacturing it in large numbers. If the car doesn't sell post launch due to Covid19 unknowns - you end up with a huge stockpile, that you need to sell with discounts after 2-3 months of life in yards. That means discounts on a brand new flagship car after launch. The product is as good as dead then.

The Altroz & Harrier 2020 are already not getting the sales numbers they'd mostly have garnered in a world without Covid19. Why push another car into that list. Best to wait and delay the launch IMO. A smart decision if true from TML.
Yes eventhough a few of us may be getting a bit desperate & sentimental with this news yet its a prudent move by TATA indeed, afterall I won't wish failure onto a decent product badly needed in a segment sparse with options. Though I would kindly request ram87pune to share his first impressions asap when he gets his hands on one.

Now, the news of addition of two new variants to Harrier BS6 soon, has made things quite interesting as exactly for the same price of ~ Rs. 17 Lakh ex. showroom (20.5L on road in my State) I might end up with three options (all VFM):

1) Harrier XTA (no sunroof, auto)
2) Harrier XT+ (sunroof, manual)
3) Gravitas XT (no sunroof, manual)

Since auto isn't a primary requirement for me, that essentially leaves me with options 2) & 3) or in simple terms either the sunroof of Harrier or the enhanced road presence & extra seats of Gravitas....not a bad choice at all

Although I feel instead of XT+ , a XTA+ would have made much more sense as auto+sunroof option is what will be on most people's wishlist
watchoutankit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:11   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Gravitas spied in Coimbatore –confirms rear disc brakes!!Link
Must be on trials by Jayam Auto.

Yes, the Gravitas (or Buzzard?) in display at the Geneva motor show confirmed (1) rear discs and (2) replacing that stupid aero inspired pull brake for an electric button operated one... but, it didn't sport a panoramic sun roof that is now a must need feature - I heard this was difficult due to the ceiling bump to accommodate the 3rd row of seats, let's see how they get that in there...
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks