Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 12:13   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
3) Customers are now inclined towards internet assisted / connected cars to make their cars more gadgets than being actual cars I mean who doesn’t love gadgets now, right?
Harrier and the Gravitas in their new Avtar will make a big impact on the market, IMO. First off, Harrier will have a proper powerful Diesel Engine mated to an Auto transmission, which the Hector does not offer. The Harrier's Diesel engine is leaps and bounds ahead of the Seltos' in terms of power and torque already, this gap will widen once the Harrier comes in with the BS6 170 HP tune. The Gravitas will not have any competition in the 7 seater arena until the Hector comes with a 6/7 Seater. The Seltos has no chance of adding any more seats, it is too short and low and looks like a hatchback from the rear. Best of luck to Kia and MG once TATA comes back for a re-match in 2020!
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 12:35   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What I meant was, these images have removed any sort of chance of anticipation build up towards an official unveil. The "Unveil" now is absolutely redundant. Media representatives will yawn at that function..
Exactly. Happened with the Altroz, now it'll with the Gravitas.

Tata definitely haven't figured things out. Before the launch of the Harrier, they made tall claims of introducing it in Europe.

How? You cannot maintain respectable/consistent sales in India, how do you expect those mature markets to accept you? Especially without any petrol engine expertise. And don't say electric.

In pursuit of EU aspirations, showcasing your 2 important BS6 era products, you robbed the feel good/exclusivity factor from the Indians. Remember how KIA did the global launch of the Seltos here?

The fact that they have delayed the launch of BS6 Hexa shows that they have no confidence in the Hexa or the Gravitas.

I now feel, Gravitas does well - Hexa is downgraded. If it doesn't, Hexa is updated with bling-ware and launched undercutting BS6 Innova.

Just see how crucial the Harrier was in the scheme of things. If it was flying off the shelves, they could have done anything they wanted with the Gravitas and Hexa.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2019 at 15:48. Reason: Fixed typo.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 19:29   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Gravitas:

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 19:50   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA Gravitas:
Seems like this is Regular Harrier with Auto gearbox. The rear shape of Gravitas is little boxy.
tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:23   #200
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians. Latest info that I received from my sources

1. As mentioned earlier, the media drives for both the Harrier auto and Gravitas are scheduled post Auto Expo. These will be conducted together.

2. Tata will launch a new red colour similar to that offered in the Altroz in the Harrier at the media drive.

3. Unlike at the media drive of the Harrier, this time Tata will offer different colour options for the media to sample fo both the SUVs.

4. The Harrier media cars will sport only two major changes I.e. Panoramic sunroof and the automatic with 170 bhp engine.

5. Gravitas media cars will feature the Electronic Parking Brake.

6. The media drives will most likely be conducted in the North.

7. Tata is working on connected car platform for the Harrier duo.

8. Tata is thinking of changing the stepped roof structure of the Gravitas so that it too can accommodate a panoramic sunroof.

9. Tata's woes regarding BS6 upgradation of the multijet engine continue because of Fiat. The latest being some problem with the Urea tank sensor which measures the level of the fluid.

So that's it for now. Will come with more updates as and when I receive them.
ram87pune is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:45   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

9. Tata's woes regarding BS6 upgradation of the multijet engine continue because of Fiat. The latest being some problem with the Urea tank sensor which measures the level of the fluid.
How is the Fiat MJD 2.0 and Urea tank sensor related?
Old 15th December 2019, 21:47   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
8. Tata is thinking of changing the stepped roof structure of the Gravitas so that it too can accommodate a panoramic sunroof.
Trust Tata to find a way to shoot itself in its foot. Why in god's name are you pondering over such major changes when your car is ready for launch? Were the engineers sleeping during planning? And why are you making the news of this discussion public? Panoramic sunroof increases the desirability quotient manifold. Do you want prospective buyers to not buy your new car and wait for the update? Height of idiocy.

Quote:
Hard to understand why this is an issue when the Jeep Trailhawk is already in the market with the same engine and tune with full BS6 compliance complete with the urea tank. Should be simple copy and paste.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:51   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
How is the Fiat MJD 2.0 and Urea tank sensor related?
The sensor is provided by Continental Automotive. And there is some dispute between them and Fiat which is causing this issue.
ram87pune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:57   #204
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Hope the news about the panoramic roof in the Harrier and 170hp engine with auto is realized early and launched in Feb.

Although I doubt about the roof design of the Gravitas can be altered at such a late stage. as it may impact other aspects as well.
Old 15th December 2019, 22:03   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hard to understand why this is an issue when the Jeep Trailhawk is already in the market with the same engine and tune with full BS6 compliance complete with the urea tank. Should be simple copy and paste.
It is never a copy paste job Usually the manager or the sales guys say that but the engineers know that it is never the case.

The underbody of the car has to now hold diesel + urea tank, DPF, SCR, Urea injection system, Urea pump, Temp sensors, NOx sensors and some more stuff.

To retrofit parts meant for another car (Compass) into another car is not a mere copy paste action.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 22:09   #206
BHPian

Quote:
2. Tata will launch a new red colour similar to that offered in the Altroz in the Harrier at the media drive.
So that's it for now. Will come with more updates as and when I receive them.

A few queries
  • Will the engines have better NVH compared to the BS4 version
  • Will they do something about the mirrors ?
  • Why just red ? Why not more colours ? Why does TATA have to be stingy with colour options !! You already have the car, just paint it up in all manner of shades !
  • I dont think its possible to change the roof structure now
The problem with TATA has been throwing pulled punches.

Last edited by navin : 25th December 2019 at 10:26. Reason: reduced quoted text
Old 15th December 2019, 22:16   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Thanks for the info. Hope the news about the panoramic roof in the Harrier and 170hp engine with auto is realized early and launched in Feb.

Although I doubt about the roof design of the Gravitas can be altered at such a late stage. as it may impact other aspects as well.
No. The altered roof is not coming at launch but at a later stage. But it is under serious development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
A few queries
  • Will the engines have better NVH compared to the BS4 version
  • Will they do something about the mirrors ?
  • Why just red ? Why not more colours ? Why does TATA have to be stingy with colour options !! You already have the car, just paint it up in all manner of shades !
  • I dont think its possible to change the roof structure now
The problem with TATA has been throwing pulled punches.
1.The newer lot of BS4 already have far better refined engines compared to the media cars. But don't know about what BS6 engine will sound like.

2. Altered ORVMs are coming from launch itself.

3. I meant to say that red is going to be a new colour added to the palette. Other colours will also be there on media cars. And as far as offering different shades is concerned I don't think it's an easy job for the Paint Shop. Experts can throw more light on this.

4. Explained this already above to rkv_hunter.
ram87pune is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 23:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Harrier and the Gravitas in their new Avtar will make a big impact on the market, IMO.
Agree with you completely. The 170 bhp engine and the smooth Hyundai automatic will make a world of a difference to the way both the Harrier and the Gravitas are viewed and perceived.

But for Tata to snatch customers away from Kia and MG showrooms, I think they need to bring more features than what they are going to bring with the Gravitas. Features like a panoramic sunroof, huge touchscreen,full LED headlights,connected car tech are the need of the hour. This is because Indian customers have shown that they equate value for money with more features(however useful they maybe) than sheer engineering quality(dynamics,build quality etc).

So I think this is where Tata needs to focus more at the earliest if it has any chance of staying in the game.
ram87pune is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 08:38   #209
BHPian

Quote:
This is because Indian customers have shown that they equate value for money with more features(however useful they maybe) than sheer engineering quality(dynamics,build quality etc)
Can we be sure about this? Jeep compass sold very well due to its engineering, despite high price.

The lower sales of harrier may be due to other factors than lack of fancy features. For me, the ORVMs that create a not blind spot but almost a blind corner, are a deal breaker. What use is lakhs of kilometers of testing if you don't fix such a glaring flaw, visible even at standstill!

Also, the dashboard is high, which further restricts the view. Such big vehicles should offer very good surrounding view to make the driver confident. (I don't remember if I raised the driver seat fully or not).

Lack of petrol engine and auto version also ensures that a lot of customers don't even shortlist the car. Myself included due to lack of auto.

Once Tata fixes the ORVMs and brings the automatic, which as per you should happen in a few months, I will consider it.

Another negative I feel is that compared to a smaller car like Duster, the outer size is more but the internal space looks almost the same. I may be wrong, as I didn't do a side-by-side comparison.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:57   #210
Senior - BHPian

Auto would mean a hit on mileage, since it's a heavy car. What's your expectation on this front? Also if Gravitas is coming with Panaromic roof at a later date, (say in two years) would I wait for it? Best is for Tata Motors to launch as complete a product as possible, leaving no gaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Once Tata fixes the ORVMs and brings the automatic, which as per you should happen in a few months, I will consider it.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks