Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 20:28   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 546
Thanked: 3,468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I have heard this from multiple sources now. So I assume this is true. What I dont understand is how will buzzard be positioned if Hexa is going to stay. There is no way TML can showcase buzzard as flagship in a showroom where Hexa 4x4 stands tall.

Also any news about a possible 4x4 AT for Hexa ? The reason I ask is , If that variant comes , they can push Hexa to compass territory and position Buzzard below Hexa.
That's going to be a nightmare for the Tata marketing team because when the Hexa BS6 comes out it will be priced in the same ballpark as the Buzzard give or take a few thousand rupees. Hexa AT 44 is not happening because Tata has said earlier also that only 2% of Hexa customers go for the 44 variant. Of course having the AT with 44 will be an added bonus but due to some technical reasons it's not happening.

The way I see it is launch of Buzzard is only going to help Hexa's sales even more. Because once Hexa BS6 comes out, people will be left in no doubt about the future of the product. And maybe some fence sitters will go for the Hexa. So if you want a monocoque SUV with occasional use of 7 seats and with more modern features you should go for the Buzzard. But if one prioritizes comfort and robustness more then go for the Hexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post

Well I see it as Tata's loss. If they dont intend a AWD it is pointless to have that transmission tunnel ruining the comfort of the 2nd row. This is no market for half measures. The SUV "Above all" needs a AWD period, or else I see no point in all the platform and Land Rover legacy tom-tomming.
Hey buddy why are you getting so worked up repeatedly over the transmission tunnel? It's not a simple job of flattening it and making the 2nd row more comfortable for sitting 3 abreast. Also the tunnel is not used only for the propeller shaft but also for increasing the torsional rigidity of the chassis. More torsional rigidity equals better ride and handling characteristics.

So if let's say that Tata manage to flatten the transmission tunnel as you say then the dynamic character of the Harier will also suffer which is one of its USP. And remember that many front engine front wheel drive cars also have this tunnel.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2019 at 21:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
ram87pune is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 08:59   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 354
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hexa AT 44 is not happening because Tata has said earlier also that only 2% of Hexa customers go for the 44 variant. Of course having the AT with 44 will be an added bonus but due to some technical reasons it's not happening.
This technical reason is what worries me as for some reason every compromise is an engineering obstacle so what is Tata doing so differently. Is this an engineering competence problem? As for sales the while I do agree the AWD customers are less but it changes the profile of the vehicle as a whole in the eyes of a customer.

Quote:
Also the tunnel is not used only for the propeller shaft but also for increasing the torsional rigidity of the chassis. More torsional rigidity equals better ride and handling characteristics.

So if let's say that Tata manage to flatten the transmission tunnel as you say then the dynamic character of the Harier will also suffer which is one of its USP. And remember that many front engine front wheel drive cars also have this tunnel.
Well have a look at the mostly empty huge hump and i might occur to you that the torsional rigidity or cabling alone cannot account account for the huge space down there.
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20181223_163136.jpg
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 13:24   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,881
Thanked: 11,993 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I have heard this from multiple sources now. So I assume this is true.
However, the absolute lack of sightings of a single Hexa test mule running BSVI tests is quite conspicuous won't you say? Not a single car with the 2.2 Varicor has been seen doing test rounds for BSVI evaluation equipment.

Cutting it quite close aren't they considering the April deadline?
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Also any news about a possible 4x4 AT for Hexa? The reason I ask is , If that variant comes , they can push Hexa to just below trailhawk segment and position Buzzard below Hexa.
That would be another funny decision in a long chain from TML. Giving 2 brawny SUVs with a claimed pedigree in 4x2 FWD avatar while continuing a genetically pure luxury MPV with an AWD and also adding an AT in it! But then - if they do it, no surprise. Decision making seems different in that organization.

Last edited by Reinhard : 26th November 2019 at 13:25.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 18:25   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
tushky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 2,123 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!



TATA GRAVITAS. So the 1st teaser is out. Tata motors is in full swing.
tushky is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:02   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 202
Thanked: 469 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post

TATA GRAVITAS. So the 1st teaser is out. Tata motors is in full swing.
Pretty badass sounding name. Now at launch and for all ads, if they can just get someone who can speak with Gravitas (pun intended ), would be pretty nice! Along with the AT for the car.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:29   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 402 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Name has a heft to it. Sounds solid.

All they need to do is launch it with all the bells and whistles in AT guise.
Flash777 is offline  
Old 26th November 2019, 19:48   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madras <-> Cbe
Posts: 1,849
Thanked: 4,038 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Pretty badass sounding name. Now at launch and for all ads, if they can just get someone who can speak with Gravitas (pun intended ), would be pretty nice! Along with the AT for the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Name has a heft to it. Sounds solid.

All they need to do is launch it with all the bells and whistles in AT guise.
I had the chance to sit inside one of the upcoming Gravitas test mules. It does come with an AT. What kind of AT? the driver had no clue, but I think it would be a slush box.
aravind.anand is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:52   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,881
Thanked: 11,993 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

February 2020... So there's still 2-3 months to accept and somehow like this name. Personally I'm going to have to try hard for this one...

Gravitas...hmm..
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,915
Thanked: 8,489 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
TATA GRAVITAS.
Thanks for that, @Tushky !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Pretty badass sounding name.
And the punch lines about Opulence and Power have straight away swung the expectations sky-high. Now Tata should not let us down.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:24   #55
BHPian
 
grimmreaper_gtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Hope they don't show the ~GRAVITAS~ dune bashing in the next teaser 😂
They seem to be sticking to the theme of luxury (premium offering) in the teaser for the Altroz as well.
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:28   #56
BHPian
 
padmrajravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 600
Thanked: 2,118 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

I am not able to like the name. Gravitas would have been a great name for a luxury sedan, but not a good choice for an SUV. Still a lot better than XUV,Marazzo etc. At least this has a classy touch to it.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:41   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
wheelguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: City of Destiny
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 7,291 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

The name got quite a heft to it. Now all that they had to do is make it worthy of the name.

It being from the house of Tata, it will have tough time selling in good numbers, so Tata should load it with tonnes of features, price it at the highest possible price instead of VFM pricing, ensure it is niggle free and hard to nitpick, and take good care of the minuscule number of worthy buyers. And use this car as an image builder rather than money maker.

Last edited by wheelguy : 26th November 2019 at 20:45.
wheelguy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:51   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,421
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I had the chance to sit inside one of the upcoming Gravitas test mules. It does come with an AT. What kind of AT? the driver had no clue, but I think it would be a slush box.
This was in the news sometime back. It's going to be a Hyundai sourced 6 speed torque converter.
fiat_tarun is offline  
Old 26th November 2019, 20:52   #59
BHPian
 
venkateshkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 66
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
The name got quite a heft to it. Now all that they had to do is make it worthy of the name.

It being from the house of Tata, it will have tough time selling in good numbers, so Tata should load it with tonnes of features, price it at the highest possible price instead of VFM pricing, ensure it is niggle free and hard to nitpick, and take good care of the minuscule number of worthy buyers. And use this car as an image builder rather than money maker.
What they should not do is just after Gravitas launch, start media leaks about their next wonderful 7 seater which they want to release in 2 years time. Aria had Hexa breathing down its neck and Hexa had Harrier and Harrier had Buzzard albeit with a slightly different positioning.
venkateshkm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 21:07   #60
BHPian
 
rkv_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 130
Thanked: 325 Times
Default re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Wow. This looks promising and I love the name. I hope the pricing is good, 1-2 lakh more than Hexa. About 23-24 lacs on road would be the price I feel. Also hope that they introduce some of the opulence features (panoramic roof, automatic box, etc) in the Harrier also around the same time or before.

Last edited by rkv_hunter : 26th November 2019 at 21:07. Reason: punctuation
rkv_hunter is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks