Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 21:46   #721
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The photos you have shown are 2 different Vehicles. 1 is H5X which turned into Harrier. And other is H7X which was designed as safari, later named as Gravitas and now again renamed as Safari. Both H5X and H7X were designed simultaneously. You can see in the unveiling video of H5X concept.
Nope. I have indeed posted the right car. This is the very first iteration of H7X test mule that was spotted. If you look carefully, the roof is neither stepped like the Safari, nor is it sloping like the Harrier.
Attaching the media reports that had these pictures:

https://www.drivespark.com/amphtml/f...es-025376.html

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-harriers...ting-in-italy/

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-h7x-7-se...he-first-time/
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:47   #722
BHPian

Quote:
The photos you have shown are 2 different Vehicles. 1 is H5X which turned into Harrier. And other is H7X which was designed as safari, later named as Gravitas and now again renamed as Safari. Both H5X and H7X were designed simultaneously. You can see in the unveiling video of H5X concept.
The H7X had the roof rails and stepped roof from the beginning.

My post from 2018 with the outline inked in (Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs)

I believe while they always intended this to be the Safari and it was intended to be launched earlier. The Compass's initial success or Creta numbers or market research changed the plans bringing the 5 seater into focus. They must have considered changing the name also due to similar reasons but the Harrier initial launch and 2.0 got them a ton of feedback.

I believe the sunroof would be there on launch as considering the Harrier 2.0 timeline it should be achievable. Also I think they must have worked on the rear suspension too if not the AWD/4WD since it too featured prominently on the feedback.

As for those who think the commonality with the Harrier is a bad thing for the Safari moniker I think its common design language and will help in the longer run in maintaining the cars due to a common parts bin.

As for the pedigree of the Safari it was a palace on wheels first and in that department I expect no less from the successor.

Last edited by nainan : 11th January 2021 at 21:51.
nainan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:01   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Nope. I have indeed posted the right car. This is the very first iteration of H7X test mule that was spotted. If you look carefully, the roof is neither stepped like the Safari, nor is it sloping like the Harrier.

Let media call these prototypes as H7X but the truth is that all those prototypes were H5X. I think the reason why media was calling these as H7X was because of the blacked out rear quarter glass. They thought that Tata was hiding the 3rd row from being captured but that was not the case.

I was fortunate enough to have a go in one of the earliest H7X prototypes back in mid 2019. That was having the 170 BHP tune and the automatic gearbox and that prototype looked exactly how the current prototypes of the Safari look I.e. having that stepped roof treatment and with roof rails.

The photos you have posted are of the initial batch of Harrier prototypes and not the H7X. Tata never started testing the H7X prototypes on the Indian roads before 2019 I.e. after the launch of the Harrier even though they always had both the iterations in mind when they were designing the Omega platform.

Last edited by ram87pune : 11th January 2021 at 22:04.
ram87pune is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:07   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post

Those test mules shown in the various websites are indeed H5X test mules. i can assure that even those websites got fooled because of the camouflage or photo angle. Tata had added extra padding on it to hide its true shape. My friend works in Tata motors design and also my father was a employee of Tata Motors. and because of them, i had got a chance to see the design of H7X just after the H5X unveiling.
tushky is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:11   #725
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
2. Actually, it's not a bad idea. Who can make stuff cheaper than Chinese?
Anyone who thinks Tata should compromise on build quality and only offer cheaper stuff to make money(like Maruti/Hyundai-Kia), does not have any idea of the legacy of Tata brand and what it stands for in India. The Tatas have literally built India. Unlike the businessmen like Birlas, Ambani, Adani etc, whose main aim is to make money, Tatas are Industrialists. There are YouTube videos about Tata’s contribution to building the nation. From, bringing steel industry to India in the previous century, starting India’s first airline( ya, Air-India!), to starting the best Science institute in India(The IISc is better than any IIT in India), you name it. They have been pioneers in bringing Industrialisation, development and employment to the country as long as they have existed.

Now you can understand why they choose to invest money in indigenously developing India’s first affordable modern EV and India’s first affordable 5-star rated hatchback, rather than just bring another cash-cow like a Creta or swift. I am talking about the intent here.

They are also investing in setting up Lithium ion battery manufacturing plant in Gujarat through Tata-chemicals arm to pioneer the battery industry in India.

The vision behind the Nano was driven from this legacy. This is the culture at Tata group. This is why the Tatas command so much respect in India. (So much so that a famed person like Narayan Murthy touches Ratan Tata’s feet on national TV, while accepting an award from him.)

I will stop my rant now.
Napalm is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:22   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Those test mules shown in the various websites are indeed H5X test mules. i can assure that even those websites got fooled because of the camouflage or photo angle. Tata had added extra padding on it to hide its true shape. My friend works in Tata motors design and also my father was a employee of Tata Motors. and because of them, i had got a chance to see the design of H7X just after the H5X unveiling.
Oh, thanks for the clarification! Looks like the camera angle got me. The fact that the media houses also reported it pretty confidently also contributed to this belief.
This seems to give us enough reason to believe that this car was indeed meant to be the Safari from day one itself.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 00:28   #727
BHPian

Tata needs to stop spending their resources on these expensive cars. especially if they cannot launch with all options.

They messed up with the Harrier and Altroz and are continuing the same thing here.
Old 12th January 2021, 00:47   #728
BHPian

The cheapest 7seat SUV with AWD+AT exists only in the premium D2 segment north of 35 lacs.and Tata would distinctly carve out a unique place for the Safari if it plonks this combo at its price point.

Tata says that they will gauge the market for AWD and bring it if required . How do they plan to gauge the response for a variant that doesn't exist? By people not buying it?

I understand that the market is real slim, but how would they gauge the response ? Probably by seeing competition outsell them.?

The Safari never became the legend by standing on sales numbers and playing to the gallery.

Who better than a Safari to serve the niche market .
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 01:13   #729
BHPian

I see lot of comments on TML should go all guns blazing with Safari and offer everything at once.

I differ here, TML did that with Hexa, it had everything in it from the word go and that too in 2017:

- 4WD
- Best in class automatic
- Six air bags
- All wheel disc brakes
- Great interior with best music system
- Best ride and handling
- All safety features
- 6 str and 7 str configuration
- And many more

It missed on sunroof but that was offered as after market accessory.

And you could get top end XT in BLR at around 20 L on road price, and it had almost no competition in terms of power and features it offered (Innova crysta was the only one and that too few lakhs more).

But still, being such a capable car Hexa bombed. And now it has kind of become a cult vehicle where most of the people are looking for it in used car market.

TML burnt it fingers with Hexa and learnt a very valuable lesson keep the excitement alive, gain the the trust, have the basic engineering right, give safe cars and slowly add features and powerful motors.

I wouldn't say Altroz is a failure, as per TML standards it is doing well, now they are bringing in Turbo too which will add more volumes to it.

Nexon is their trump card, the most valuable offering from TML with a sunroof in mid variant - They have learnt this the hard way.

Imagine if TML brings everything at once in new Safari and it fails, it will be an emotional disaster for TML because they will not only lose the market but will have to live with a failed Safari brand which they cannot afford it.

My hunch is, they will have Safari maxing out at little over ~1.5L from Harrier XZA+ and then have 4WD with some other goodies later in the year.

And this too if Safari is successful.

Also, my other hunch is Harrier may get 4WD too and start competing with THAR as a lifestyle family vehicle.

Lets see, interesting time ahead.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 02:30   #730
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Just confirmed from my sources that Tata is working on giving a sunroof to the Gravitas(Safari).
Thanks for the update. Could you confirm with your sources if the Gravitas/Safari incorporates any structural changes to help mitigate the cause of the supposedly poor GNCAP rating of the Harrier? Or will Gravitas/Safari suffer the same fate because of the Fiat engine?
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 02:49   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
No wonder why I didn't get any response from them
IMHO, just renaming product will definitely not help them. I don't know what and who is suggesting them such strategies.
Come on TATA !!!
Safari is my childhood dream and like others even I was thinking to replace it with my 7 year old Honda City but now it seems I have to hold my plan for atleast one more year.
I dont even see a question there. No wonder then that they did not reply. I am glad they did not.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 07:10   #732
Senior - BHPian

Received a picture on whatsapp which seems to show the sunroof rectangle from the interior of the Safari. No qualms in calling it the Safari instead of the Gravitas, as I had initially mentioned that the Harrier and Gravitas should have been named the Sierra and Safari respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-img20210111wa0019.jpg  

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-img20210111wa0020.jpg  

discoverwild is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 08:08   #733
BHPian

Looks like.the stepped roof starts after the c pilar and the sunroof ends before it.just like the Harrier it shares platform with.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 08:17   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Tell me why somebody should not pick XUV 5OO.

The "Safari" badging deserved more effort.
Very bad effort from Tata for sure. However, it is still fast launch by Tata benchmarks. Time to market is often a crucial factor to keep the market buzzing. Many customers will land at the showroom to see the Safari and might pick up the Harrier, incompetent sales force of Tata notwithstanding.

Are you referring to the current XUV or the upcoming one? Current one has no comparison with the Harrier or Safari and is a 10 year old product. I am sure the new one will be a fantastic offering. I love both Tata and Mahindra vehicles for the value and made for India robustness. Have owned Manza and XUV AWD. Am on Hexa 4x4 now.
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 08:22   #735
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

All this talk by the Tata management about this being a Safari from the start is completely false.

During initial testing phase this car was christened the Q502 and later it became H7X. Then at the Geneva show in 2019 it became the Buzzard/Cassini. Then in September 2019 it was officially decided that it will be called as the Gravitas. This same name was displayed at the Auto Expo 2020 as well.

Now if the pandemic wouldn't have been there then the timeline for the launch of Gravitas was around June 2020 with media drives taking place around April/May 2020. I had seen an ARAI document of this product last year when it was undergoing final validation testing. The name of the product was clearly mentioned as the Gravitas.

So if there was no pandemic, we would have had a Gravitas launching in mid 2020 without a sunroof and without the connected car features which would then be added in early 2021 like how it is happening right now.

So in a way we should be thankful to the pandemic due to which Tata delayed the launch of the Gravitas and added extra features right from the 1st day rather than cheating initial customers with a better V2 version launching just a few months after the launch of the V1.

This delay due to the pandemic also must have given some extra time to the marketing people at Tata to come up with some new ideas, renaming the product to Safari being one of them.

I am not saying that Mr Bose is blatantly lying. The original Safari was indeed his inspiration while designing the latest one but it was not supposed to be named a Safari from the get go is all I am saying. Afterall he is just a designer and the name of the product is decided by the marketing people.
ram87pune is offline   (27) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks