Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 23:29   #1006
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

If the twiterrati, instagram comments, and this forum itself is any indicator of the market, then they have their answer.

I know most of these are keyboard warriors and not necessarily prospective customers, but the sheer response in the affirmative should be a strong indicator for TATA to plonk the hardware in their flagship.
You know that most are keyboard warriors, but still think Tata should listen to them just because of their number (or loud voice)? And if they do, it will increase the price by 1-2 lakh, then won't the same people laugh at Tata for keeping the top end 4x4 at the same price as Innova Crysta, and call them suicidal?

I don't get what's the hurry. Let the car launch. Tata may collect feedback from real customers who walk into their showrooms, and if that confirms the demand, launch 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Okay we believe you Tata, that you did all that sleight of hand, veil of mystery Buzzard and Gravitas so that we would be distracted and not wait for this Safari. We promise we won't make you any more uncomfortable by asking that question again.Now can we have the 4x4?
Are you really a potential customer if they do launch it? If yes, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

For instance, I am complaining about Harrier not being crash tested. I am a potential Safari customer now. I am willing to pay 26 lakh for top end 4x2. This is the kind of online feedback they might actually care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I really dont think the Safari will be able to justify a 26 Lac price tag, without AWD. Especially when the Hector has a 7 seater that is for all practical purposes, a rival, that sells for much less with the same engine power and perhaps equal or better cabin features . Bereft of AWD, the Hector and Harrier are virtually at par as mild soft-roaders. Yes, the Harrier has various modes etc. but the average driver will EASILY get bogged down or stuck badly trying to overestimate the capabilities.
Well, Harrier top end (with much smaller feature list) sells for 24-25 lakhs. Still selling more than 2 thousand units every month. Also, a large % of sales are for the most expensive variant - XZA+. So there has to be something.

Friends, enough and more has been said about the lack of 4x4 and the Safari name. Really feel we should move on now. Same arguments being repeated again and again.
pseudo_coder is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 23:38   #1007
BHPian

There's simply no value addition in the last 8-10 pages. Its better to close the discussion and open them again , say on 25th or until unless there are some inside info.

One person will post one message about something and then 20-25 posts follow that. No value addition for any reader.
turbo_delight is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 00:03   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Neither the Harrier (or Safari) nor the Creta have been crash tested or have a safety rating yet. And the latter is still a better car in terms of reliability, features, cost of ownership etc. I don't care for Hyundai at all, but there are good reasons why their cars sell.
Lower versions of the Tata family of cars are rated 4 or 5 star.

Lower versions of Hyundai cars in India are... I will let the crash ratings speak for themselves. Ertiga was rated better than Seltos.

Hyundai reliability? Please go through the Hyundai issues thread on this forum - Harrier has niggles like touchscreen being slow, some rattle here or there. Seltos and Creta - brakes not working, engine mounts falling off, car going dead 30 mins from delivery.

Anyways, we are going off topic.
andafunda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 00:12   #1009
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Even the Hexa 4x4 variant makes a minute percentage of Hexa sales.

I said starting at 12. And i would not be surprised if the new Scorpio starts at 11.99 introductory price. It might be similar to the Thar, just introduce it to advertise and get bookings, sticker shock as it is known around here. And i said a 4x4 option. Which will be there. Why else would they make a LoF chassis.

I never said a Scorpio 4x4 at 12 lakhs.

And as for the Hexa, all that matters is the option was there. I mean, I could go to the showroom, and say, "I'll have a hexa 4x4 (technically AWD)" The salesman would say "Sir that's made on order", and I would say "No issues, I'll wait for 2 months, you order it". Atleast I had the option.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2021 at 06:16. Reason: Quoted post edited. Rude bits deleted
turbo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th January 2021, 01:39   #1010
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
There's simply no value addition in the last 8-10 pages. Its better to close the discussion and open them again , say on 25th or until unless there are some inside info.

One person will post one message about something and then 20-25 posts follow that.
+1 to this. It is becoming very irritating and frustrating to even browse through this thread.

We have to make peace with the fact that Tata may never launch an AWD car because these have less than 5% volumes in India. Even Pratap Bose mentioned it openly in his media interactions.

Just like all other high-selling SUVs Seltos, Creta, Hector don’t and might never come with AWD in India, the Harrier and Safari may never have AWD for whatever reason. Let’s respect the company’s decision and move on.

@Mods: Please close this thread forever and open a fresh/new thread once the Safari is in Showrooms at the end of this month.
Napalm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 02:00   #1011
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Lower versions of the Tata family of cars are rated 4 or 5 star.

Anyways, we are going off topic.

Tata sent the Tiago, Tigor, Altroz and Nexon to the crash testing agency VOLUNTARILY.

Tata has not sent the Harrier or the Safari. I wonder why?

I'd love to see atleast a 4 star rating for the Harrier-Safari twins, but until that happens, I'm skeptical.

EDIT: I agree with the general chorus that this thread has been derailed, so either the moderation team should come in with a stern reminder to behave, or let things cool down for a couple of days.

Last edited by turbo : 18th January 2021 at 02:03.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:23   #1012
Senior - BHPian

I hope all those who are talking about the new Safari have sat in the Harrier first. The Harrier/new Safari is nothing like the Safari/Storme. The seating position is low, car like and in the Harrier, an autorickshaw or a Wagon R become obstacles that one can't peer over. Also the dimensions are largeish with an A pillar that obstructs right hand side forward view. The bonnet/hence frontal dimensions are not fully in sight and there is poor rear visibility. These together make the Harrier twins a poor off-roader even if they will get a proper 4*4.
May be front sensors and a 360 degree camera help during off-roading, however if they are available remains unknown.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 08:05   #1013
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note:

- The Safari name on the Gravitas has been discussed enough. Now, let's get over it.

- The lack of an AWD has also been discussed enough. Now, let's get over that too .

- Please continue with only news, updates & fresh product-specific discussions on the Safari. Any posts on the name or AWD will be straight away deleted.

By the way, we will be driving the 2021 Safari next week .

Thanks for the support & understanding!
GTO is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 08:42   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Could be the another colour of Safari apart from the Blue one

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-smartselect_20210118083909_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Will be sold in two seating layouts, six and a seven-seat (bench seat) layout.
As far as variants go, expect Tata to launch the Safari in three or four variants initially and as seen on the Harrier, expect more variants to be added / removed according to customer demand down the line.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th January 2021 at 08:50.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 08:55   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note:

Thanks for the support & understanding!
Oh yummy yummy! Waiting eagerly for first impressions (or a full scale review). I was just watching Mat Watson's reviews of some of the international spec cars launching / launched in India and realize the Safari maybe the best bet out there in this price range.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:23   #1016
BHPian

Is Harrier receiving an update as well? Is Harrier getting that sexy blue color?

Anyone has any insights?
Old 18th January 2021, 10:51   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Is Harrier receiving an update as well? Is Harrier getting that sexy blue color?

Anyone has any insights?
I remember 2012-2013 in the similar 100s of pages on the Safari Storme leading to its launch and me becoming a proud owner.

The urban bronze was the similar signature color like the blue is today.

We (my wife and I, once the kids as well) made at least 3 trips to the showroom to check out the urban bronze in the flesh.

Inside as well as in the sun.

Any spotting of a urban bronze on the roads would be accompanied by excited exclamations and eyeballs.

But eventually we bought the lovely classy timeless black (astern black). And it's aged beautifully.

And if you see the maximum Stormes on the road today, 8 years on, they are black, white or silver.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th January 2021 at 10:56.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:53   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note:

Thanks for the heads up

As usual, it will immensely help if Mods can provide a preview of the Safari drive for the prospective buyers like me. In the last one year, my priority has changed and I am looking for an automatic 7 seater in the range of 25-26 L OTR price range. This leaves me with only two options i.e. Safari and upcoming XUV500. Hector 7 seater could have been an option, but lack of automatic in 7 seater variant and extremely cramped third row means Hector is out of contention. I have waited too long for the upgrade and XUV could mean a delay of at-least 6-7 months.

Safari seems to be ticking most of the boxes and will surely be on the top of the list unless Tata prices it much higher. Also, with Harrier getting its niggles sorted, I am hoping that Safari will not have same issues.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:09   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note:

Thanks GTO. My buying decision will be based on your alpha, beta, gamma version.

I have one request. While checking on the Safari, please check the 7 seater seating comfort as well. Many people, including me, dont like the captain seats as my daughter wants to sleep at times. Thats why the preference for bench seats.
Seems that the 2nd row bench seat will be actually little higher than the current harrier. In that case, is the ride bouncy for 2nd row bench seats ?
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 11:42   #1020
BHPian

This might be an unpopular opinion here, but the rear side of the new Safari reminds me more of MPVs/MUVs the more I look at it now.

For reference, just check this below comparison of rear ends of Safari, Ertiga and Marazzo (L-R in that order).
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-mpvs-rump1.png

And now, check the comparison of rear ends of Endeavor, Fortuner and XUV 5OO.
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-suvs-rump.png

IMHO, the Safari's rear end is quite soft looking in comparison to the other SUVs. This is not to say that it doesn't look good, because it does.

(Picture Credits to their respective owners)
museycal is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks