Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 08:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Mod Note: BHPian ram87pune's Report on the 2021 Tata Safari has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Tata Harrier 7 seater 'Buzzard' automatic SUV spied – Rear roof spoiler revealed.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardnewalloys750x430.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol6750x430.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol9.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol10.jpg

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2021 at 09:58. Reason: Adding link to report
volkman10 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tata Buzzard (H7X) interior spied

An image of the Tata Buzzard (H7X) has surfaced online. The spy image partially reveals the SUV's interior.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol9.jpg

According to the spy image, the Buzzard's interior looks similar to the Harrier's. It has a floating touchscreen infotainment head-unit and a piano black centre fascia. The SUV has brown inserts on the doorpads and a 3-spoke, multi-function steering wheel. It is also expected to get the digital instrument cluster from the Harrier. An automatic gear shifter is also seen in the image.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol8.jpg

The Buzzard, which is the seven-seater version of the Harrier is likely to be offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine producing 170 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. Transmission options are likely to include a 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 16:34   #3
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Cant see the "Innovative" parking brake / hand brake from Harrier here. Has TATA done away with that design ?

Last edited by ajmat : 29th October 2019 at 17:47.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 16:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Cant see the "Innovative" parking break / hand break from Harrier here. Has TATA done away with that design ?
Looks like the "innovation" will very much be a part of the Buzzard.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tataharrierbuzzardspiedtestingautomaticpetrol8.jpg
Porschefire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 18:41   #5
BHPian

I am so excited to see the automatic box there, I really hope that TATA gets this right.

Even though Harrier hasn't done well yet, I see a lot of potential in the platform and wouldn't mind betting on the Buzzard or Cassini? if it comes with a decent gearbox/170bhp/redesigned side view mirrors
Rajiv0909 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross quoting here to avoid spamming the Harrier official review thread as recommended by GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
One obvious and glaring omission is the 4WD which Tata should rectify in keeping with the image of the Safari brand
And the ladder frame construction too. I think at best what the OmegaArc can have is an AWD. Not a full blown 4x4 with low range transfer case. Its a monocoque. Agreed that LandRover has done away with ladder frame altogether & even their hardcore off roaders are now monocoque. I don't think the OmegaArc has the strength to take the abuse just yet. We haven't seen it for long enough to be sure.

Also - the overall dimensions - and the wheelbase, make the Buzzard more of a softroader with perhaps some AWD capabilities. Something very similar to the Duster. I don't think it can do justice to a 4x4 B-W case.
Quote:
Given the cult status of a Safari and the fan following it would be an opportunity missed if they do not use the brand equity of the Safari for the Buzzard especially now that its the vehicle of choice for the Indian Army.
Are you suggesting that the Buzzard should carry forward the Safari badge at launch? As much as I personally would love that, I don't think it can. Tata only made the badge a dud by their own doing over last decade. Total neglect and an absolutely out-dated in-cabin package meant people don't like it anymore (what better than sales numbers to confirm that). A new moniker will create a fresh appeal probably. Its better to impress with new abilities rather than trying to just remind people of pedigree. Especially since the pedigree isn't carrying much value off late. My 2 cents.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 10:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Here are my expectations from Buzzard:
  • Independent rear suspension
  • Optional AWD/4WD
  • Panoramic sunroof (on top end variant)
  • Recline and slide feature in the 2nd row seats
  • Powered driver seat (on top end variant)

Some of the things which should be improvised over current Harrier:
  • Bulging Horn-pad
  • Parking brake mechanism (going back to conventional type is also OK)
Guna is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Here are my expectations from Buzzard:
You don't want them to improve the steering? In my test drive, I felt the hydraulic steering is very cumbersome within city.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
You don't want them to improve the steering? In my test drive, I felt the hydraulic steering is very cumbersome within city.
I like the feel of the hydraulic steering. Yes it could be better tuned (more 'assistance' at the parking speeds).
I also forgot to add 'better engine sound insulation'
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 11:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Its a tricky one to get right. Its a heavy car (the Harrier I mean) and hydraulic systems tend to be better & more reliable for heavy vehicles in comparison with EPS in similar cost to build.

Also - these massive machines are meant to be long distance cruisers as much as they are meant for office run. Having a very light steering at city speed often results in getting a very vague and uninspiring steering at highway speeds. Having heavier steering at parking is a better trade-off in such cases.

Just talking about the technicalities. As a user, yes what you are saying is a good to have surely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
[*]Panoramic sunroof (on top end variant)
I really hope TML has thought of this requirement from design phase. Its going to be tricky to integrate & also make it look aesthetically well integrated. Remember, the car is going to have a stepped up roof and rails. Mr. Pratap Bose is going to have his work cut out to integrate this well from the word go. But then he generally tends to get things right!

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st October 2019 at 11:36.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 18:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

I saw Buzzard on test on Nice road, Bangalore on the last weekend. It was on the opposite direction and was well camouflaged but could make away of it easily with its fascia and DRL. Couldn’t capture as I was at a good speed and passed by quickly.

I really hope they bump up the power of the car to make up with the competition. I do also expect Tata to iron out any undulance from Harrier.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 21:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think at best what the OmegaArc can have is an AWD
The transmission hump and hollow space on the underside is very suggestive of a rear differential considered during design. The traction control system too suggests at least plans of one. I agree given both donors use a AWD thats what it would end up being but then offering one one a Hexa and a 2WD on the Buzzard just does not make sense.

Quote:
Also - the overall dimensions - and the wheelbase, make the Buzzard more of a softroader with perhaps some AWD capabilities. Something very similar to the Duster.
Dimensions wise they are in the same ballpark with the Buzzard having 100 mm more wheelbase, the duster has it closer to the Safari

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the Buzzard should carry forward the Safari badge at launch?
Yes as long as it can live up to the expectations the nameplate brings up of the DICOR age. The Safari does have its own fan following. I feel if they have ironed out the Harriers teething troubles and can bring in some of the features the market wants a Safari badge will suit its. The half price land rover pedigree has done more harm than good.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 21:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians. I would like to share some valuable information regarding the Buzzard gathered from my sources with you

1. Independent rear suspension as well as AWD is not coming for a few years at least.

2. Panoramic sunroof not coming to Buzzard but Harrier will get one. Buzzard will get a normal sunroof.

3. Recline and slide feature along with tumble function is coming in the Buzzard.

4. Powered driver seat is coming.

5. Auto dimming IRVM is coming.

6. Altered ORVM's are coming.

7. 170 hp/6 speed auto are coming.

8. 18 inch alloy wheels with the design shown at Geneva are coming. Harrier will continue with the 17 inchers but with common alloy wheel design.

9. Buzzard will have the option of captains chairs in the middle.

10. Mood lighting will be offered in the Buzzard.

11. Rear disc brakes will be offered only on the Buzzard.

12. Independent rear AC unit to be offered in the Buzzard.

13. Electronic Parking Brake is under development and may see the light of the day in 2020.

14. Tata is developing a wet clutch DCT for the Harrier/Buzzard duo. Launch timeline unknown.

15. Turbo petrol coming but again timeline unknown.

16. Media drive for Buzzard scheduled for December. Most likely after 15th.

17. Harrier BS6 media drive may be clubbed with the Buzzard.
ram87pune is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians. I would like to share some valuable information regarding the Buzzard gathered from my sources with you

1. Independent rear suspension as well as AWD is not coming for a few years at least.
If what you are saying is true then they went through all this effort only to create a better looking Hexa to compete against an Innova Crysta. It just does not make any sense with that transmission tunnel hump being an inconvenience they might have as well flattened it. Not sure how exactly this would compete against the next gen Mahindra XUV or the Scorpio much less go near T-Fort or Endeavour territory. Opportunity missed I must say. In a few years a lot of this is going electric. Considering the life cycle of Tata cars I think in a few years this entire effort will be abandoned as I do not see it differentiating or making traction with the customers. None of the rest of the features are exactly path breaking or bling value either. I would say Tata will be handing over the whole territory to MG & Hyundai on a platter.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If what you are saying is true then they went through all this effort only to create a better looking Hexa to compete against an Innova Crysta. It just does not make any sense with that transmission tunnel hump being an inconvenience they might have as well flattened it.
Hello nainan. Like I have mentioned in the Harrier thread earlier, the cost of the LR platform was a huge disadvantage for Tata while designing the Harrier. Because of this they did not give an independent rear suspension, rear disc brakes,4WD etc. That's the reason they also did not invest in reengineering the platform to accommodate the 2.2 VARICOR engine. Regarding flattening the floor hump, I don't know how easy it is and what are its repercussions. Experts can throw light on this.

The Hexa will continue for the time being because senior Tata officials are of the opinion that the Hexa beats the Harrier twins hands down when it comes to ride quality, seat comfort,value for money etc. This opinion was formed after customers started cross shopping the Hexa when they actually had gone to the showroom to checkout the Harrier. The BS6 engine development for the Hexa is in full swing and will be launched next year.
ram87pune is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed