Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 21:15   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Wow. This looks promising and I love the name. I hope the pricing is good, 1-2 lakh more than Hexa. About 23-24 lacs on road would be the price I feel. Also hope that they introduce some of the opulence features (panoramic roof, automatic box, etc) in the Harrier also around the same time or before.
1 lakh more than Hexa, gets us a Hexa with sunroof. Can we get a different car altogether? Let's hope we do!

For the car to succeed, TML must do a Hector/Seltos with pricing. I feel it has to undercut the Hexa at least in introductory pricing.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 21:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Though I did not get to sit in the last row, the space did not look generous and definitely was not inviting. The all black interiors did nothing to improve the claustrophobic feeling. Third row is best suited for kids for short trips - like we have come to accept from most 7 seater SUVs.

The centre console looked like a straight lift from the Harrier with no changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
1 lakh more than Hexa, gets us a Hexa with sunroof. Can we get a different car altogether? Let's hope we do!

For the car to succeed, TML must do a Hector/Seltos with pricing. I feel it has to undercut the Hexa at least in introductory pricing.
But considering that TML has removed the 19 inch alloys from Hexa recently, I think they have a different plan in place.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 26th November 2019 at 21:35.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 21:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But considering that TML has removed the 19 inch alloys from Hexa recently, I think they have a different plan in place.
Yes, I hope so. Have two 7 seaters; Hexa as the older/budget offering and Gravitas as the more premium/modern offering. Gravitas>Hexa>Harrier from a price perspective.
Old 26th November 2019, 22:00   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I am optimistic right now with the name and specs.
The 154 BHP Varicor 400 in my Storme performs so well at highway speeds that you won't even believe you are driving a safari at those speeds. 170 BHP in a rather lighter (compared to 2 tonne Storme) Gravitas might be a superb highway car
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, the absolute lack of sightings of a single Hexa test mule running BSVI tests is quite conspicuous won't you say? Not a single car with the 2.2 Varicor has been seen doing test rounds for BSVI evaluation equipment.
Hey Reinhard. Just confirmed from my sources that we will get to see the Hexa BS6 mules running on public roads before the end of this year. Hexa won't be available for a few months post April 2020 till BS6 testing and other formalities are completed. But we should see the Hexa BS6 on sale before the Ganapati festival next year.
ram87pune is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 23:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Not digging that name. Tata Gravitas doesn't flow well and that's the kind of name you'd expect to see on the trucks sold in India.

What was wrong with the Buzzard nameplate?

H A R R I E R
B U Z Z A R D
G R A V I T A S

The double Rs and Zs were so in sync there. The third name seems the odd one out.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 23:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

What was wrong with the Buzzard nameplate?
You don't know how we Indians pronounce letter Z in a word. Gravitas is much better than hearing something like Bujard, bajard, bussard, busaarrd, bachard etc.
Latheesh is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 23:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

G R A V I T A S
Haha perhaps they were trying to make a statement by naming it in rhyme with Mahindra's premium offering in the segment above this one.
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 00:06   #69

The name Gravitas looks far better than cassini and buzzard. Remember Tata has a tough task ahead as it will be compared directly with its own Hexa which is a great product. Tata needs to be extra cautious this time with both Altroz and Gravitas launches especially in the QC part. They cant mess yet another product unlike Harrier. More importantly they need to launch Gravitas with automatic version.
Old 27th November 2019, 03:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Gravitas looks nice with the overall proportions.

Slightly off-topic - while M&M are already testing the next generation scorpio & xuv, Tata has pretty much forgotten the legend Safari (Or have I missed any updates around this?)

I sincerely hope they do something with Safari brand too.
Old 27th November 2019, 06:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535dinesh View Post
The name Gravitas looks far better than cassini and buzzard. Remember Tata has a tough task ahead as it will be compared directly with its own Hexa which is a great product. Tata needs to be extra cautious this time with both Altroz and Gravitas launches especially in the QC part. They cant mess yet another product unlike Harrier. More importantly they need to launch Gravitas with automatic version.

I agree the name may work with the target audience - upwardly mobile, 40-ish, mid-senior executives who have a multi-generational family to cart around. They are being told at work that they need to acquire 'gravitas' to have a crack at the next rung in their organisation's hierarchy. What better way than to start by acquiring a car of the same name to drive up to office every day?
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 07:50   #72
BHPian

The (new) name immediately made me relate to a wonderful news show on WION news channel. Its a program that is well edited, precise and absolutely to the point; all this without any drama. And I love that show.

I hope, TATA too delivers a product which has exactly the same characteristics of what WION airs. Well made (edited), does all that it has to do without any drama (niggles) and is absolutely a stunner of a product.

I look forward to its launch.

Image for reference only -

Name:  WION Gravitas.PNG
Views: 3388
Size:  513.9 KB
OrangeCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 08:22   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I think that's quite frankly the point Tata has been missing all along. Most successful vehicles in India start with a mouth watering pricing initially and that attracts the numbers. While the Harrier/Gravitas combo has drop dead gorgeous looks which do have a desire quotient comparisons with the Hexa are inevitable and this IMHO was the Harrier's bane. It did not help either that there were niggles that were "not expected of a 20 lakh car". The spread of variants also helps as in case of the Creta arguably the most successful of SUVs in the last few years Hyundai themselves have admitted to the base variant being a major contributer.

This premium tag also is a double edged sword as it raises expectations through the roof. That said while I find "Gravitas" better than the "Cassini/Buzzard" I feel that an association with the Safari brand will help level set its positioning as an SUV unlike the Aria/Hexa which is perceived more as an MUV. A concerted effort to train showroom and service personnel to make them understand how to serve a customer in this price band will help a premium positioning more than a marketing spin foisting a premium tag on the vehicle.
nainan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 08:28   #74
BHPian

Gravitas is one of the Roman virtues that ise particularly appreciated in leaders. It may be translated variously as weight, seriousness, dignity, and importance and connotes a certain substance or depth of personality. It also conveys a sense of responsibility and commitment to the task.
Surely TATA wants to add a certain "weight" to the product; make it more dignified and statesman like.
A truly wonderful and awe-inspiring name indeed..
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 08:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

If Tata really wanted to lend some grativas to, well, the Gravitas, they should have given power to all 4 wheels. Without that feature, Gravitas is a pretty silly sounding name for a big fat SUV. At least the word Harrier conveys a certain swiftness. Gravitas sounds like a government project codename for some serious, otherworldly research (think Aliens, super weapons).
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed