Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 19:28   #91
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
On the topic of names, will we ever see any car named in an Indian language?

Also, anyone knows what the infinite supply of variant names actually means?

Hyundai keeps variants like S, SX, SX+, SX(O). Why so much complexity? And what does 'optional' mean? Are all other variants compulsory?

Maruti names diesels as LDI, VDI. I think the D stands for Diesel. But then petrol counterparts are not named LPI, VPI. Can someone decipher this madness?
Have to say I laughed quite a bit at that compulsory part.
Along the Indian names line, what would you call the Gravitas? Also, open to other bhpians who aren’t too happy with the name, what Indian name would you guys give instead?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 19:51   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Along the Indian names line, what would you call the Gravitas? Also, open to other bhpians who aren’t too happy with the name, what Indian name would you guys give instead?
I’d be more than happy if they name a full sized butch 4x4 after some of the legendary tanks of the Indian army. And support it by proper branding and marketing. Tata Vijayant or Bheeshm anyone?
Old 27th November 2019, 19:55   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Good to see TATA's moving towards Automatics, hope they will provide the same in Harrier.
True. Really hope Tata launches the Harrier Automatic along with or before the Gravitas (along with the bells and whistles) as in my opinion the Harrier looks better, the quarter glass of Gravitas between C and D pillar really looks out of place. Also since the Gravitas is being positioned as luxury car I think the pricing will be at least 2-3 lacs above similarly loaded Harrier.

Last edited by rkv_hunter : 27th November 2019 at 19:56. Reason: Grammar
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:

Also, anyone knows what the infinite supply of variant names actually means?

Hyundai keeps variants like S, SX, SX+, SX(O). Why so much complexity? And what does 'optional' mean? Are all other variants compulsory?

Maruti names diesels as LDI, VDI. I think the D stands for Diesel. But then petrol counterparts are not named LPI, VPI. Can someone decipher this madness?
Trust me, you wouldn't. And well, yes! Once upon a time, a long while back, customers could actually choose certain luxury (read useful) features like a sunroof (2007 i10/ or an AT in the case of the 2011 updated ANHC, ), leather seats, extra airbags, ABS, etc. Nowadays, it's pretty much nothing actually useful. Just gimmicky visuals.

Quote:
•GravyTaste
•GrabRaita
•Bazzundi (Basundi)
•Hari_Iyer to name just a few.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
So, the diesel auto box combo was being reserved for this, all along? If so, then it wasn't a very wise move by TAMO. The Harrier could've seen more sales figures.

P.S- the Harrier doesn't have an automatic transmission.
The diesel auto combo was not reserved for the Gravitas. My sources tell me that due to Fiat's arm twisting tactics and lethargy, Tata were not able to calibrate the automatic in time for Harrier's launch. Later when they decided to retune the engine to produce 170 bhp in BS6 guise, they thought it to be better to launch the retuned engine gearbox combo at a later stage. Even as I type this according to my sources there are a lot of issues pertaining to BS6 multijet calibration all because of Fiat.

And Harrier auto is launching along with Gravitas both having the same 170 bhp engine.
ram87pune is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Buzzard (H7X) SUV. Edit: Named Gravitas

Quote:
MARUTI :

Quote:

7 seater-Hum Sath Sath Hai .:

Better than the Internet Inside badging.

On a serious note, Gravitas means -seriousness.

Hope Tata has the Gravitas for the Gravitas. I am no Tata basher but only hope they get this product spot on from day one. It will be a game changer if they do.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th November 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 27th November 2019, 20:35   #97
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the new XUV 500 is going to really up the game and the Gravitas will have it's work cut out.
"The XUV500 will be available in a seven seat layout and will get all the bells and whistles in the form of dual-zone climate control, powered tailgate, panoramic sunroof and a fully digital instrument console. Additionally, the production model is expected to offer ventilated seats and memory function for the driver's seat."
https://www.carwale.com/mahindra-cars/new-xuv500/
Guna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Looks like the new XUV 500 is going to really up the game and the Gravitas will have it's work cut out.
"The XUV500 will be available in a seven seat layout and will get all the bells and whistles in the form of dual-zone climate control, powered tailgate, panoramic sunroof and a fully digital instrument console. Additionally, the production model is expected to offer ventilated seats and memory function for the driver's seat."
Is it just the camera angle that makes the car look so tiny? Besides, I hope those aren't the actual headlights and are just the camouflage instead.
Old 27th November 2019, 20:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If that is the case then Tata really has its work cutout because the Gravitas is not getting any of the above mentioned features.
Old 27th November 2019, 21:30   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
If that is the case then Tata really has its work cutout because the Gravitas is not getting any of the above mentioned features.
Is it getting any additional features compared to the Harrier?

* Except for the good news on the AT gearbox of course.
Old 27th November 2019, 21:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is it getting any additional features compared to the Harrier?

* Except for the good news on the AT gearbox of course.
AFAIK it is only getting the bigger wheels and rear disc brakes as exclusive additional features on the outside.

On the inside it will get a mood lighting system,normal sunroof,auto dimming IRVM,powered drivers seat and the option of captains chairs for the middle row. But I am not sure as to which of these features will be shared with the Harrier.

Last edited by ram87pune : 27th November 2019 at 21:46.
ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 22:48   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
AFAIK it is only getting the bigger wheels and rear disc brakes as exclusive additional features on the outside.

On the inside it will get a mood lighting system,normal sunroof,auto dimming IRVM,powered drivers seat and the option of captains chairs for the middle row. But I am not sure as to which of these features will be shared with the Harrier.

Well in that case, both the siblings are going to lose the competition very badly. With the new Xuv 500, Creta 2020 & its 7 seat version and 7 seater Hector in the pipeline, and TATA's stinginess with features and OEM warranty.

I just don't understand what TATA is aiming for. Like are they just satisfied with 700-900 units? That too will probably be cannibalised by the arrival of the aforementioned three.

And let's not forget that Harrier has been consistently losing out to the old Xuv 500 in the past several months.

On another note, to add fuel to the fire, I have a feeling that TATA will delete features and meddle with the prices of Hexa, to support Gravitas, which would just lead to Hexa turn into what the Safari has been in the past couple years.

Last edited by TROOPER : 27th November 2019 at 23:08.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 08:41   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
TATA's stinginess with features
For their entry level car - Tiago - they went all out and provided almost every feature you could ask for in the segment. While for their flagship Hexa, launched in 2017, they were using a 5 inch touchscreen display! Which they now updated to 7 inch.
Old 28th November 2019, 09:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
For their entry level car - Tiago - they went all out and provided almost every feature you could ask for in the segment. While for their flagship Hexa, launched in 2017, they were using a 5 inch touchscreen display! Which they now updated to 7 inch.
They may have gone all out in the beginning with the Tiago but don't forget that a whole thread exists on Team-BHP on Tata deleting features in the Hexa, Nexon and Tiago.

And with price increase with BS6 coming in along with the arrival of Gravitas, I expect Tata to delete features in the Hexa.

As far as Harrier and Hexa are concerned they can't hold a candle to Hyundai and M&M let alone Kia and MG as far as features are concerned.
Old 28th November 2019, 09:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
And let's not forget that Harrier has been consistently losing out to the old Xuv 500 in the past several months.
Out of curiosity, I plotted the sales figures of XUV500 and Harrier from the October 2019 analysis in Team-BHP [1]. Here it goes

Name:  XUV5OO and Harrier.png
Views: 3827
Size:  16.1 KB

[1] https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks