Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 09:12   #106
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

To sum it up (with the limited information we have for now) Gravitas is a 7 seater Harrier which does not ride as well as the Hexa and does not get as many features as the XUV 500 and is sold by a company that does not like to sell cars.

I never knew a 7 seater Creta was in the making. If that were to happen, I don't think Tata should waste their time and energy on this. It's done even before launch.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 09:19   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
To sum it up (with the limited information we have for now) Gravitas is a 7 seater Harrier which does not ride as well as the Hexa and does not get as many features as the XUV 500 and is sold by a company that does not like to sell cars.

I never knew a 7 seater Creta was in the making. If that were to happen, I don't think Tata should waste their time and energy on this. It's done even before launch.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4663198 (2020 Hyundai Creta spied in India for the first time)

With Seltos, Hector and Harrier to arrive in the 7 seat guise, I doubt Hyundai will keep mum.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 09:20   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

On the inside it will get a mood lighting system,normal sunroof,auto dimming IRVM,powered drivers seat and the option of captains chairs for the middle row. But I am not sure as to which of these features will be shared with the Harrier.
The news articles mention a panoramic roof and we saw a Harrier test mule with the same. Since they are positioning this as a luxury car with “opulence” some features like panoramic roof, powered driver/passenger seats, ventillated seats, powered tailgate, dual zone climate control AC need to be there. Hyundai tucson offers the GLO over GL for just 70k extra with a panoramic roof and a few more features. Hector has set a new benchmark.New Creta will come with these features, as mentioned in the article above XUV500 is coming with most of these. Or else Tata needs to price this really competitively to have a VFM option.

Last edited by rkv_hunter : 28th November 2019 at 09:21. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 29th November 2019, 10:25   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Gravitas has been spotted with emission testing kit.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tata0-1.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tata0.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:26   #110
BHPian

The teaser of Gravitas has given a timeline for the reveal of the 7 seater (and hopefully upgraded Harrier with Auto box). So in the coming 3-4 months, I should be able to make a decision whether to go for Harrier/Gravitas AT or go for Hector AT

It will be an interesting choice to make - Hector loaded with Features & bling or Harrier/Gravitas with less features (atleast speculated to have less).

Any news on the media drives for Gravitas?
Old 29th November 2019, 12:34   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Hyundai keeps variants like S, SX, SX+, SX(O). Why so much complexity? And what does 'optional' mean? Are all other variants compulsory?
Bring KIA Seltos in the equation and you'll fall in love with Hyundai.
Quote:
Maruti names diesels as LDI, VDI. I think the D stands for Diesel. But then petrol counterparts are not named LPI, VPI. Can someone decipher this madness?
Historically Maruti has been a petrol car maker (with rare exceptions like the Zen diesel in 90s). So they didn't need a specific fuel identifier in trim badges. Their variants were always -
LX
LXi
VX (some times)
VXi
ZXi

Either you do it like Tata -
VX - Quadrajet (2 mascots to make & apply)

Or you put a little identifier for diesel in the variant -
VDi (single tiny mascot to make & apply)
Which of the 2 options will save a lot of money considering 20k cars sold a month? Remember, Maruti will do anything to save a cent.

Overall I think Maruti variant name is quite straight forward & intuitive. Easy to get information from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Test mule is an Auto....
Good to see TATA's moving towards Automatics, hope they will provide the same in Harrier.
Barring the BOLT & the Harrier - all the Tata cars on sale right now have an automatic transmission of one type or the other. Its confirmed that the Harrier is coming with the same AT box. So its now "wait" rather than "hope".

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2019 at 12:35.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 13:05   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
So in the coming 3-4 months, I should be able to make a decision whether to go for Harrier/Gravitas AT or go for Hector AT
Are you looking for a Petrol AT? A diesel AT is not available in the Hector and they have no plans for launching one.
Old 29th November 2019, 13:59   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post

Interesting take.. Here is a different perspective :

If Mahindra can sell a XUV 500 which doesn't ride as well as Hexa and Toyota could sell Innova without an Audio System (forget about all other luxury features)

Why not let a company (which is the only one in India selling a GNCAP 5-star rated SUV) have an another go at 7-seater SUV market ?

Remember, competition is always good for consumers.

Give them a chance. Save the bashing for later.
vaasscit is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 14:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Interesting take.. Here is a different perspective :

If Mahindra can sell a XUV 500 which doesn't ride as well as Hexa and Toyota could sell Innova without an Audio System (forget about all other luxury features)

Why not let a company (which is the only one in India selling a GNCAP 5-star rated SUV) have an another go at 7-seater SUV market ?

Remember, competition is always good for consumers.

Give them a chance. Save the bashing for later.
Nicely said. TATA MOTORS and Indian Junta are in a chicken and egg fight. Tata wants junta to appreciate bigger things they have done (Safety, Ride Quality, improving design) and junta wants TATA to appreciate smaller things (gizmos, bling) that bring a smile to them. What will come first is the big question.

To make junta appreciate bigger things it will take a humungous marketing effort and burn millions of dollars. It is very very hard to change the mindset of people by talking (except in politics). But the other way around is easier. Just put every damn thing from voice command to volvo/hector type display, sunroof, automatic, air purifier, 5 year warranty into an upcoming product and price is at a loss for 2 years. Spend nothing on marketing (no sexy invites to GTO :-) sorry ). Release the eggs in the world. In few years they will be come chicken !! Sorry for the lame story but couldn't explain it better. I seriously wish good luck for TATA because i love what they do.
irdevanand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:12   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Are you looking for a Petrol AT? A diesel AT is not available in the Hector and they have no plans for launching one.
I am open for both petrol and diesel. Yes I am aware that Hector will not come with AT box for diesel so soon. All I am looking for is an automatic in this segment. I am holding back booking Hector as I want to evaluate Harrier/Gravitas AT.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:40   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
I am open for both petrol and diesel. Yes I am aware that Hector will not come with AT box for diesel so soon. All I am looking for is an automatic in this segment. I am holding back booking Hector as I want to evaluate Harrier/Gravitas AT.
I wonder how anyone can live with such a big car in petrol AT combination! Even if running is low, watching 7 kmpl on the instrument cluster in not funny at all :(
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 16:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how anyone can live with such a big car in petrol AT combination! Even if running is low, watching 7 kmpl on the instrument cluster in not funny at all :(
Even if you could live with 7kmpl, the one big thing you will miss is the torque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
I am honestly surprised that the XUV 5OO is outselling the Harrier. The (newer) Harrier 'seems' to be better in every way to the outdated XUV.

The only thing which is going for the XUV is that it is a tried and tested product without any of the niggles that the first few batches of the Harrier had.

MOD NOTE: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here. (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th November 2019 at 16:08.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 16:15   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am honestly surprised that the XUV 5OO is outselling the Harrier. The (newer) Harrier 'seems' to be better in every way to the outdated XUV.
Actually its not outselling it much now. There is parity pretty much. There was a dip in Harrier sales when Hector/Seltos magic happened. Things have stabilized since and Harrier outsells the XUV5OO once in a while too. Which is just consolation at best considering the age difference between the two!
Quote:
The only thing which is going for the XUV is that it is a tried and tested product without any of the niggles that the first few batches of the Harrier had.
Just that "tried and tested"? Here's what the XUV5OO offers and Harrier doesn't -
  1. 7 usable seats
  2. Sunroof
  3. AWD
  4. Automatic tranny
  5. Electrically adjustable seats
  6. Larger, more powerful engine
And that's just to name a few.

I myself had the XUV5OO above the Harrier in my list. Went to the showroom with a cheque to book the W7. Only the TD turned me away due to the car's disconnect with me & poor handling characteristics. But then - for a lot of customers, this is not a deterrent / the handling characteristics are fine to their style.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2019 at 16:20.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 17:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Here's what the XUV5OO offers and Harrier doesn't -
  1. 7 usable seats
  2. Sunroof
  3. AWD
  4. Automatic tranny
  5. Electrically adjustable seats
  6. Larger, more powerful engine
And that's just to name a few.
Actually, yes, you are right, I totally missed these differences. In my mind I was already comparing it to the Gravitas

On a side note, while TAMO has already announced the timelines for the Gravitas, I wish they do the same for the Harrier AT as well. I have been waiting and waiting for it for the entire 2019 without any information.
Old 29th November 2019, 17:43   #120
BHPian

While comparing XUV and Harrier sales, note that XUV has a steady customer base in rural areas, where XUV gives them the local macho status. Among folks who used to buy Scorpio, many go for XUV if budget permits.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks