Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:40   #226
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
10. The deal with Fiat is for 70000 engines per annum for 7 years and not for a total of 7 years as I had wrongly mentioned earlier. So let's say if Tata consumes 12000 engines per year for the Omega platform then they still have to pay for the remaining 58000 engines. This is really bleeding Tata Motors.
Noticed this on second glance. What on God's green earth were Tata smoking while placing this order?

They thought they could sell roughly 6000 units of 18 lac+ rupee diesel SUVs a month? That too in BS6 era? That too in a segment which is heating up just like the compact SUV one? With petrol units increasing in demand? This is a new level of cluelessness IMO. Shows how much they have underestimated Kia, MG & Co. I'm a Tata fanboy, but I'm definitely not smoking whatever they are Hippies will shift base from Manali to Pune if they read this.

Last edited by TROOPER : 2nd January 2020 at 13:49.
TROOPER is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:29   #227
Senior - BHPian

Tata has plans for one more vehicle on Omega Arc platform. A new MPV/Hexa replacement is supposed to come out of the same platform. A sales figure of 6000 on three cars combined is not a big expectation even for Tata. For the platform to break even, they may need that kind of numbers. And we don't know the per engine price. They may have got a great deal.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd January 2020 at 15:31.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:36   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Tata has plans for one more vehicle on Omega Arc platform. A new MPV/Hexa replacement is supposed to come out of the same platform. A sales figure of 6000 on three cars combined is not a big expectation even for Tata. For the platform to break even, they may need that kind of numbers. And we don't know the per engine price. They may have got a great deal.
I guess they must also have negotiated some reasonable clause for tearing up the contract. Else, if one or both of the new launches do not do well, they might end up with no choice but to give fat discounts to customers.
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:14   #229
Senior - BHPian

When Tata signed on the dotted line obviously they had done their homework. Harrier was just the beginning. I think they expected to sell 2500 Harriers at the least per month. The 7 seat Harrier is just like extended family for Harrier since both share the same wheelbase and powertrain. Apart from a longer rear overhang they are exactly the same. So let's say Tata thought that they will sell 1500 of these Gravitas. So the total is 4000 cars per month in just over a year after the launch of Harrier. Harrier is not selling to its potential is a different thing altogether.

The next SUV in the pipeline is a coupe SUV version of the Harrier and after that they may launch the Blackbird SUV on the same platform. So looking at these 4 SUVs, I don't think it's really difficult to manage 70000 engines per annum.

As of now there are no plans to replace the Hexa with an MPV on the Omega platform because how would Tata differentiate that MPV versus the Gravitas? It won't have 4×4 nor will it offer that rugged feel and the exemplary ride quality of the Hexa. So Hexa stays at least till 2023 and also the Varicor engine will stay because that is Tata's only option after the completion of the 7 year period of the Fiat Multijet for the Omega platform.

After the launch of automatic variant with panoramic sunroof we should see the Harrier picking up sales. So let's see fingers crossed.
ram87pune is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 20:17   #230
BANNED

Buzzard with its pack.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-fb_img_1577975936394.jpg

wheelguy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:24   #231
BHPian

Delete if this is irrelevant, but how would the non-english speaking Indians (which forms a large part of the Tata customer base) pronounce and resonate with Gravitas? Hopefully they did enough consumer research with different focus groups before arriving at this name.
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:30   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Delete if this is irrelevant, but how would the non-english speaking Indians (which forms a large part of the Tata customer base) pronounce and resonate with Gravitas? Hopefully they did enough consumer research with different focus groups before arriving at this name.
I don't think it matters. I recall an incident where someone I know, who was not well versed with English said he bought the new version of Scorpio (which itself is not an Indian sounding name). Upon asking more, I came to know that he meant the XUV 5 double 'o'. As they say, a rose by any name ...
prakash_ajp is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:33   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Something similar to Nissan == निशान (Nishaan)
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 22:33   #234
BANNED

Quote:
how would the non-english speaking Indians pronounce and resonate with Gravitas?
Well, as an ex-'Laura' owner from a rural background and still based in Tier II/III cities; I can tell you that if people like it - they accept it. No matter if it's Laura, or Gravitas or any double or triple or quad 'O'; if people find it worthwhile - they happily put their money into the product. We have seen successful products in:
  • Jain (No offence to anyone, people in my city/village pronounce 'Zen' that way only)
  • Skaarpio
  • Indeevar (Yes, the Ford Endeavour it is)
  • Boloro (Welcome to rural Haryana)
  • Bult (Yes, the Punjabi stuff)
  • Ailto (Okay, call it A-Lto)
  • Pijaaro (The same old, faithful Pajero Uncle)
  • Dijair (The most 'DZirable' compact sedan I mean)
  • Saplandar (Splendor it is)
  • Sakodda (Here we are talking of Skoda, people even in rural areas appreciate this brand for nice cars but with high maintenance)
  • Marsatees (Three pointed star, few in my village but none of them properly pronounce it right)

In other words, if people like what is on offer; the Indian buyers have now started overlooking even the brand or the product name; and that's actually a good thing.
VKumar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 23:13   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Tata customer base pronounce and resonate with Gravitas?
Wouldn't it have been great if they called it the Tata Safari. Like the storme maybe Tata Safari thunder or Tata Safari growl or something like that with the tag line of 'reclaim your life again'. Use the same legendary back ground music and shoot the same kind of ad, in the sand dunes..
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 00:19   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Wouldn't it have been great if they called it the Tata Safari. Like the storme maybe Tata Safari thunder or Tata Safari growl or something like that with the tag line of 'reclaim your life again'. Use the same legendary back ground music and shoot the same kind of ad, in the sand dunes..
Can't be. Otherwise they would have had to equip it with 4x4 compulsorily. Looking at TATA's will to integrate the Omega platform with a proper 4x4 system, it's not possible.

To be honest, I won't mind if the Safari makes a switch from body on frame to monocoque but I do know a few who would. Secondly, it is better that there isn't a Safari in the TATA lineup for a bit of time rather than a wannabe seven seater monocoque pretending to be one.

The Safari is an icon though it might not have made sense in the latter part of its life to many. If TATA wants to impress it's existing fanbase, a rugged 4x4 with the looks of their new design language locking horns with the Scorpio is the perfect recipe.

Thus, it's better to lay the Safari to rest atleast temporarily rather than diluting brand value IMHO.

Last edited by vishy76 : 3rd January 2020 at 00:21.
vishy76 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:19   #237
Senior - BHPian

Tata has not officially discontinued Safari yet, though officially there has been some news. I wonder what is preventing them from continuing it if they are anyway making Varicor BS6 complaint. Doesn't Safari and Hexa get produced in the same plant ? So will the plant utilization be full only with Hexa ? They could actually launch existing Safari in BS6 with Hexa with an updated infotainment system and place it next to compass. May be provide the same autobox in two wheel drive version.

I used to think Gravitas should be named Safari. But now that we know it doesn't come with 4x4 , it makes sense to not to do so. New generation safari need not be BOF. If Discovery can go monocoque, Safari also can pull it off. But there can't be a Safari which is not 4x4.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:34   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

The production-ready version was caught on the outskirts of Bangalore by my good friend Aditya.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-gr11.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-gr12.jpg

As per his observations, the street presence of the Gravitas is comparable to the Ford Endeavour. The third row of seats are perfectly aligned and there's plenty of space for 3rd row passengers.

It was equipped with all 4 disc brakes.

Under the camouflage, the body colour spotted was the same light green colour in which the Gravitas had been showcased earlier, although all four doors were white in colour.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd January 2020 at 11:42. Reason: added info.
RavenAvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:20   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
It somehow looks a lot more proportionate than the Harrier. The picture isn't very clear, but the alloys seem to be sized just right. Mirrors are still the same big ones
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 09:59   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Gravitas Automatic Variant Spied,

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitasatspied11068x601.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitasatspied2696x392.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks